Thread: Ratlines questions

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Tilman

Question Ratlines questions

I would like to fit out my ships with propper rigging.
    I would love to use the Aerodrome Accessories ones, but the shipping to germany makes them too expensive.
    I wanted to go with the Langtons ones.
    Being for 1/1200 should be ok, if I order "one size above"? What should I use for the 1st rates then and which ones for the sloops?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think that Captain Duff has done a lot of work with Langton ones Tilman. I would drop him a PM.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Tilman.

At the moment ratlines are scarce as you have found.

For standard 74's you can use Langtons PE01 ( the first rate ones) these fit of, but some ships will need a bit of manipulation and you will have to glue on top of the gunwales.

For Ares 1st rates there is nothing available yet, the Royal Hajj is looking to get them done but as yet we have no date.
    I have tested Langtons PE01 on the first rates and yes they will fit, BUT the bottom ratlines will be a few mm down the mast, this could be covered if you are painting the spars and fighting tops, just paint the join black.

For Frigates and Sloops, as yet not tried Langtons, I hope to have a check this weekend, need to replace a garden fence panel first :(
    I will see if I got a better idea after the weekend and will post some pics as illustration.

What I will recommend, especially for the Wave2 ships , is to rig them to give added strength and stability.
    I use the bristle method, I have some pics of my part rigged 1st rates which I will post this evening.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 04-14-2016 at 10:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Many thanks Chris.
    Put in for your 50 Rep medal.
    Bligh.

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Tilman

That helps. Great!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As mentioned earlier a couple of pics of my 1st rates rigging. This helps to make the mast sturdier and less prone to breaks. Well at least so far.

There are a couple more pics in my album Rigging and also in this thread

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...-Harbour-today

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have had a little look at using Langton Ratlines for the Sails minis this weekend.

As already mentioned PE1 works for the 74 SoL, I have now used this on a total of 13 of my SoL and then rigged them.

I have checked the Frigates to see what can be done while there are no others available. I am sure we would all prefer to use specifically designed ones but currently these do not seem to be readily available.

So Sails 32 gun frigates

On this model, I tried Langtons PE 5 ratlines.
    This worked on the sample model I used, HMS Concorde, however I did find the lines for the lower mainmast were to large by a couple of mm, so I cut off the top of the line by one section.. Mistake made as it was now too wide for the top of the fighting top. On the other site I cut the botton by one section and it fit ok.
    This week I intend to order another few sets to see if there are any other options, so I intend to get PE6 to see if the fit is better.

I then looked at the Carmagnole, on this model I used set PE4, here as before the mainmast ratlines were too large on the lower section, but covered by the uppers, I will order another set of PE5 to see if this is a better fit.
    For these two frigates it may need a mix of two different sets to get the correct fit, @ £1.75 per set of ratlines, enough for 1 ship, this could mean the price per ship could increase.

Lastly I used PE1 on a 1st rate, here I found that if you use the ratlines for then next mast along, they fit.
    Ie use lines for mainmast as foremast, foremast lines for mizzen mast. The lower mizzen mast fit the upper main mast.
    I am not looking to see how I can fashion lines for the lower mainmast. This is a works in progress.

I shall post here pics of the two frigates completed and let you make up your own minds if suitable or not.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Here is the HMS Concorde with PE5 Ratlines

And mow the Carmagnole using PE4, adjusted

So with just a couple of minor adjustments, Langton ratlines can be used, Ill post again once I get the new sets and see if a better fit so as to have no adjustment.

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Tilman

Looks absolutely great!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

This looks very good, Chris. Langton's ratlines work on all the ships except the SoL's and First Rates and even then you can play around with them if you have extra pieces to make it work. That's especially true if you're using the "One Foot Rule". No one's going to notice anything beyond how good it looks from a distance. It's how I did all the smaller pirate ships; Black Pearl, Royal Fortune, etc.

"It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb