Thread: Armada Invincible

Threaded View

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

I like the way they assign movement tokens for each mast. As each mast becomes damaged, the ship loses movement. I also like the idea that individual cannons are destroyed, reducing the effectiveness of a broadside on one side of the ship. The rules take into account losses to crew and officers which also affects broadsides. Losing a captain is devastating. You can replace the master gunner with the first mate if the gunner is killed. You move your pikemen and musketeers up on deck to fire and send them belowdecks to protect them. All good stuff. I worry about using one D20 per cannon. Imagine a first rate ship of the line using 50 dice per broadside! What I don't like is the same thing I don't like about SOG, totally inaccurate, not to scale movement. SOG is slightly better at ship movements because it doesn't use a hex grid. I can live with the movement cards in SOG. I don't know if I can live with the movement restrictions in Armada Invincible. The models look great, but you have to make them. SOG attracted me because it had ships already painted and ready to sail.

Jack, I read your review, which is how I learned of the game. I started snooping around for a set of rules in english and actually found the pdf. Thanks for posting the information on what looks like a really great game.
    Last edited by Kentop; 10-21-2014 at 08:39.