Thread: Wargames Illustrated 316

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Default Wargames Illustrated 316

The current issue of Wargames Illustrated (316) has a theme of 'Assaults from the sea' and in particular one of the articles is a report of a wargame based around an attempt to break a blockade of Brest harbour, which may be of interest (note that this is the only Age of Sail article). I should say that the article is about 90% pictorial and the scale is 28mm a lot bigger than SoG but it might provide some inspiration and there are lots of juicy pictures of sailing ship models. Some extra pictures are posted up here on the WI web site.

I'm waiting for that issue to be released.

Thanks for heads up Keith here is a picture from their site. I'm stunned by the size of the models, your reference to 28mm just didnt click with me till I saw the pictures!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I'm waiting for that issue to be released.
    I bought it from a chain newsagent in the Uk today, I don't know how long it takes to cross the Atlantic though.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Thanks for heads up Keith here is a picture from their site. I'm stunned by the size of the models, your reference to 28mm just didnt click with me till I saw the pictures!
    Yes, they are pretty impressive, I once thought of building one of those type of ships for display rather than gaming, for the larger kits you can pay around £800. I fairly rapidly dismissed the idea, not just the expense but you need a fair degree of skill as well.

In the article it says the table they are playing on is 22' x 6' imagine the SoG game you could play on that.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

That is one impressive fleet. I have some 28mm ships still in boxes waiting for my skill and commitment to catch up to my desire. Thank you for the information Keith. I look forward to checking those images out when I get my hands on a copy.

What a room! All those miniatures along the walls in the background are mind blowing. I've got enough to play small to modest scenarios but that is packed with goodies to play with.
    Last edited by Cmmdre; 01-31-2014 at 18:50. Reason: Looked at the photos

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Those pictures are amazing. When I see stuff like that, I realize just how much of a beginner I am regarding mini wargaming.