Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HMS Terpsichore-Repaint/WIP

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

That could work. I'm semi concerned about the magnet thickness and strength, and was thinking about something like this myself: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Magneti.../dp/B00114LU8K

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The metal tray with magnets has it's own set of drawbacks, especially if you are traveling with your game (even to the FLGS). Most require some type of heavy wooden box, you'll need pretty strong magnets (most likely RE) which adds a good deal to the expense if you end up needing one than one per ship. the metal tray can also rust or oxidize on you, and there is no protection at all for the ships when the tray is outside the box.

unfortunately, there's no perfect storage solution :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I don't know if I would use a Dremel...one slip and you've scarred your model badly. After clipping the mast off, I would use a small chisel shaped X-acto knife blade to carefully remove the bump or a small modeling file.
    Dremel slip = serendipitous battle damage.
    x-acto Knife slip = can't afford wave 2 and 3 ships while you pay off the surgeon bills for thumb reattachment.

Edit to add...

Great touch-up Jim. Almost makes me wish I had a, "Sue" like Eric. But, I married a model, not a modeler, which has its own rewards, plus she is a gamer, a sports fan, and a terrific cook, so I had to give something up, right?
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-16-2014 at 14:19.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    The metal tray with magnets has it's own set of drawbacks, especially if you are traveling with your game (even to the FLGS). Most require some type of heavy wooden box, you'll need pretty strong magnets (most likely RE) which adds a good deal to the expense if you end up needing one than one per ship. the metal tray can also rust or oxidize on you, and there is no protection at all for the ships when the tray is outside the box.

unfortunately, there's no perfect storage solution :(
    I've used similar methods for carting GW (fragile plastic skeletons) and Dystopian Wars models and was able to use sterilite/plastic boxes with a piece of metal sheeting at the bottom. I've been able to find RE magnets online or on ebay for a decent price. I haven't had any issues with oxidation... yet.