Thread: AAR All at sea in the Indian Ocean.

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

A magnificent sight Captain Bligh. Enough to put the wind up any Froggie.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope so Gary.
    Thanks for the Rep.
    The full AAR will follow when I get time to clear for action!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

AAR...ALL AT SEA IN THE INDIAN OCEAN.

Several days after Pandora’s Box was opened at the Cape, the Governor of Bombay was becoming disturbed about the fact that HEIC Aurora had not returned from her cruise. After a further week had gone by he decided to dispatch the Frigate HEIC Bombay under Captain Geoffrey Smithers to try and trace what had become of her. After several weeks of trawling Aurora’s patrol area in what was becoming a fruitless exercise Captain Smithers decided that as the wind was set fair for the the Isle de France he would take a peak in that direction before returning empty handed to Bombay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:31.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was several days later at the end of the morning watch that the lookout hailed the deck with the news that two sails had been spotted hull down on the horizon.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A while later and the ships could be recognised for what they were, a Corvette to Starboard and a Frigate to the Port of the Bombay. With the wind in his favour Captain Smithers could see that the ships were sporting French colours and decided to account for the smaller ship first before the Frigate could come up. He, therefore, instructed the ships Master Mr. McKenzie to alter course to intercept the Corvette.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bombay rapidly closed the Frenchman, and as his colours were masked by the sails. It was not until a signal broke out on the Frenchman’s foremast and went unanswered by Bombay that the French captain smelt a rat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Incredibly, as far as Captain Smithers was concerned, the French corvette Ceres suddenly turned into the wind and discharged her forrard section of guns into the Bombay. He had been expecting her to turn to starboard in an attempt to rake the Bombay. The close range fire from the 9lbrs of the Ceres hardly dinted the teak built Bombay’s hull but several men fell to splinters and the rudder took a hit.