Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
As a proxy Serapis, I'd use a Portland, take the starting Main broadside and Burden down by 1 each.

In pure paper stats, Serapis should be slightly better in both armament and hull (purpose-designed man-o-war vs EIM), with the crew making the difference. Historically, Serapis struck with both ships on the verge of sinking, and it took both crews working together to patch her up and get into port.

EDIT - Some more current work: "Two-decker 44's should probably slot in somewhere between a Portland and a Hebe, maybe around Historical BHR plus or minus a little--leaning toward "minus" since BHR had to fight one of these (Serapis), a ship-sloop (Countess of Scarborough) AND a mutinous "American" frigate ALL AT ONCE and *still* managed to take Serapis as prize before sinking."

An 18-pdr 2-deck 44 should probably be like a less maneuverable 18pdr 44-gun frigate. Something like:
Burden 4, 9 Boxes, Veer 6, O deck, Main guns 4-4-4-3-3-2-2-1-X.
Thanks DB. I just pulled out the Bonhomme Richard ship card and had forgotten there are two versions on each side. I do hope Paul sets up a battle. It would be interesting to see what happens.