Threaded View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Default US Brig Niagara

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=aa6012f702

I went aboard the Niagara for a day sail. Got to work the sails from the deck, and talk to the experienced crew. I have attached a link to my album of the voyage as it is far to large to upload onto here. Got some interested questions answered, and I will be happy to share them here. We also tacked all the way around, thanks to the .5-1 knot wind and the glass like Lake Erie. Raised Royal Gallant sails to catch more wind, and unfortunately had to come back under diesel power due to the low wind.

So, some questions I asked-

Niagara can sail about 70 degrees to the wind- they have had it as close as 60, but the masts REALLY don't like it.
    Max speed is 18 knots- most likely could go faster, but the ship groans and strains at about 12 knots.
    Crew during the battle of lake Erie was 155- no idea how the all fit, there was 70 and it was cramped. And that was minus 16 carronades and 2 long guns on deck! Perry thought it was understaffed and wanted 170- which seems to me insane as I have no idea how they would live!
    Last edited by CSherrange; 09-26-2017 at 07:58.