Let me start of by saying i'm not talking about different models or even a ratio where one model would represent more than one ship. The scale im talking about is command scale. One pet peeve of mine is a game that puts you in the general's (or admiral in the case) place and then weighs you down with decisions not appropriate for the command level.

I see SOG as having a built in adjustment for this. If you are playing with just a couple of ships per side the advanced rules are perfect. At that level you are acting more as a ship's captain so decisions about assigning crew to tasks makes perfect sense. But if you decide to do fleet actions it would seem moving back to the standard rules wold be best. The simplification would make handlng a larger number of ships quicker and easier. It also would more accurately represent a higher command level worried more about strategy and less about crew sections.

Does anyone play it this way? Id be curious to hear your thoughts.

PS i love Ares games but i do wish they would use different titles for the levels. How about "begginers", "intermediate", and "advanced"? Basic and standard are just too similar. :)