On Saturday May 3, 2014 I participated in a game day on board the USS Olympia in Philadelphia. Not coincidentally this was the 116th anniversary of the Battle of Manila Bay!

I ran one of the scenarios from the Historical scenario book, "Combat, Finally". In book it pits a British SOL and frigate against a French SOL and 2 frigates. I did modify it and remove one French frigate and as it turned out they didn't need it. We had three players and all Advanced rules were in play. The British player did comment that he would need to play more before trying to handle 2 ships at a time again.

The tone for the battle was set when the French SOL hit the British frigate with a long range bow rake. This was the beginning of some awesome chit pulls from that player (rolling many sixes in the dice world!).

Initial rake from the French SOL on the frigate

Name:  SOGOlympia1.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  127.8 KB

and the damage:
Name:  SOGOlympia rake.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  244.3 KB

Exchange of fire
Name:  SOG3.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  19.5 KB

We were playing on the berth deck - yes they still used hammocks in 1898.

Name:  SOGOlympiabunks.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  116.8 KB

Another nasty broadside from the French SOL!
Name:  SOGOlympia ouch.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  SOGOlympia trading shots.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  123.9 KB

This is it for the British, the frigate has already struck and the SOL is about to do the same.
Name:  SOGOlympia end game.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  155.7 KB

This was the first time I played with all the advanced rules, i.e.; crew actions. It does add to the game and can get a bit dicey if you had taken damage and need to put out fires and stop leaks! I think that was why a ship would try to sail out of range and effect repairs if possible!

I'll post some Olympia pictures separately.

Eric