View Poll Results: What Do You Intend to Buy?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am getting one of every model and paint scheme plus extras for repaints.

18 20.22%
  • I am getting one of every model and paint scheme but no extras for repaints.

21 23.60%
  • I am getting at least one of every model but not every paint scheme.

9 10.11%
  • I am only getting the models that interest me.

41 46.07%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Intend to Buy?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    You would think that after 200 years, we would have learned not to be so cocky.
    Or to take life too seriously

While we're talking about War of 1812, how much alike in appearance were the Lively and Leda class 38-gun frigates?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    While we're talking about War of 1812, how much alike in appearance were the Lively and Leda class 38-gun frigates?
    Easily close enough. Ledas were 4' shorter, outward appearance very similar. My Langton generic British 38 has doubled for Macedonian, Shannon and others many times.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Easily close enough. Ledas were 4' shorter, outward appearance very similar. My Langton generic British 38 has doubled for Macedonian, Shannon and others many times.
    I was thinking of what ships Ares could use for the War of 1812. For the British 38-gun frigates would be a must. If they could merge classes, notable 38's such as Shannon and Macedonian could be produced. A U.S. flagged Macedonian could be produced, as well as the British, if Ares wanted something different. Unfortunately Java and Guerriere were French built.

With the 44 already being produced, the U.S. 38's would be logical. There would be no problem with Congress and Constellation but Chesapeake was a bit smaller being 12 feet shorter and 22 tons lighter. However at 1/1000 scale the size difference might not be that significant so that a third variant could be produced.

A British sloop would be appropriate and the Cruizer class brig-sloop would be most appropriate with a large number of names to chose from.

A U.S. sloop would need to be done with the early Wasp and Hornet being the choice. A British flagged Wasp could be produced to give three versions. While the early U.S. sloops had an advantage over the British brigs, the large 1813 ship-sloops would be way too powerful against the brigs.

Two special production ships could also be done. Essex comes to mind with cards for the 32-pounder carronade laden version and the earlier 12-pounder frigate. Endymion would be an excellent choice to offset the U.S. 44's.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Or an Endymion

I hear the flip side ship is going to be HMS President
    《ducks!》
    LOL! Good one.

I was thinking of what ships Ares could use for the War of 1812. For the British 38-gun frigates would be a must. If they could merge classes, notable 38's such as Shannon and Macedonian could be produced. A U.S. flagged Macedonian could be produced, as well as the British, if Ares wanted something different. Unfortunately Java and Guerriere were French built.

With the 44 already being produced, the U.S. 38's would be logical. There would be no problem with Congress and Constellation but Chesapeake was a bit smaller being 12 feet shorter and 22 tons lighter. However at 1/1000 scale the size difference might not be that significant so that a third variant could be produced.

A British sloop would be appropriate and the Cruizer class brig-sloop would be most appropriate with a large number of names to chose from.

A U.S. sloop would need to be done with the early Wasp and Hornet being the choice. A British flagged Wasp could be produced to give three versions. While the early U.S. sloops had an advantage over the British brigs, the large 1813 ship-sloops would be way too powerful against the brigs.

Two special production ships could also be done. Essex comes to mind with cards for the 32-pounder carronade laden version and the earlier 12-pounder frigate. Endymion would be an excellent choice to offset the U.S. 44's.
    I think it is the smaller brigs and ship-sloops that will be a long way off, if they produce them at all. I think the more numerous frigate classes will be done, French 40s, British 38s, which as David noted can be doubled as US frigates, and maybe 28s (Surprise!).

Eric

But what will happen when the American 44 is introduced? We will need additional British ships as they will only engage it with a squadron!
    Question is if the rules and stats allow you to beat two RN frigates with a Constitution class, Bobby.

Same for two French SoL that want to compete versus a single RN SoL looking for prey.

Has anyone seen what the ships card for the Constitution looks like?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes but I am sworn to secrecy at this time

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Still think if they had gone down this route and done it in time for 2012 they would've cleaned up.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I think it is the smaller brigs and ship-sloops that will be a long way off, if they produce them at all. I think the more numerous frigate classes will be done, French 40s, British 38s, which as David noted can be doubled as US frigates, and maybe 28s (Surprise!).

Eric
    IIRC There are brigs coming in a future wave

I was thinking it was somewhere on the site that a British ship-sloop of the same period as the wave 1 ships was going to be in wave 2.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A thought re _Essex_: On one side, the mostly-carronade version everyone's familiar with; on the other, the gun loadout it was originally built with (26 long-12s on the main deck; 16 carronade-24s on the spar deck). From what I've read, the rearming not only crippled its long-range-fighting ability, it also bollocked the sailing qualities.

Myself: I want to see a "Great Lakes War" expansion, with the ship sets for Put-In Bay and Lake Champlain (I know this isn't technically a G.L., but it's close enough :) ).

_Endymion_ would have to be produced in a 3-pack.... ;)

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Well, I voted "Only models that interest me", but we all know what it actualy means...

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Myself: I want to see a "Great Lakes War" expansion, with the ship sets for Put-In Bay and Lake Champlain (I know this isn't technically a G.L., but it's close enough :) ).
    I think one of the problems with producing ships for either war on the Great Lakes would be that there was no uniformity in ship sizes and construction. Almost every ship was unique.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Karl

Agreed; the Great Lakes battles will almost certainly have to be home-brewed.
    Karl

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenji

I try to tell myself that I am a wargamer and not a collector.

Therefore if this logic holds true I only need the ships that I will game.

Unfortunately I am not a logical person

My biggest worry is that Ares will cut back on producing and enhancing SGN now that I am just getting into the game

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kenji View Post
    I try to tell myself that I am a wargamer and not a collector.

Therefore if this logic holds true I only need the ships that I will game.

Unfortunately I am not a logical person

My biggest worry is that Ares will cut back on producing and enhancing SGN now that I am just getting into the game
    Tough decision to grapple with complete, incomplete. The latter word just sounds bad. I prefer the former - complete. Has a nice ring to it.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I pretty much plan on just getting one of every ship as they come out and none for repaints. Considering how many other miniatures games I'm interested in (or will be once I either check out the rules more or they are actually released), it should make things a bit affordable.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Goal is to have 3 of all ships, 2 will be modded to represent the two sides of the shipcard, one will stay in original shape.
    My problem is i only have 2 kickstarter sets....

But i don't mod them, for modded version of them i use other ships from the same model and use only the cards so i will have the original ships safe.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenji

Unfortunately I don't think we will see any War of 1812 ships, other than the somewhat currently out of place 44, until 2015 at the earliest and more likely 2016. Wave 2 seems to be already planned and should be coming out in 2014. I don't know if Ares has any ideas on where they are going with wave 3.
    Let's hope to God that there is even going to be a Wave 3

I am crossing my fingers. Really want the full US forces. 1812 and beyond, maybe some day even ironclads???? Civil war?
    Fair Winds and a following sea.

Pappy Liam

"We are men of action, lies do not become us."
    Westley in The Princess Bride

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

This is missing an option: I'm grabbing two of every model, to max out the number of different ships, and going beyond that (mostly with third-rates) to fill out fleets sufficient to fight prominent battles.

Actually, I'm only grabbing one of each frigate, though -- I already have more RN and French frigates than I'll ever need to fight even the most frigate-intensive battle. I may use the surplus for repaints.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

I think one of the problems with producing ships for either war on the Great Lakes would be that there was no uniformity in ship sizes and construction. Almost every ship was unique.
    The other problem is that an Age of Sail rule set can be good at fighting Trafalgar, or good at fighting Lake Erie, but not both. You need more detail to do 1812 right, but you need faster play per ship to be able to do 25-30 of the line per side without hopelessly bogging down.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rewinding a bit...

Java was also a Hebe derivative just like the Ledas, and Guerriere is a very close match on dimensions despite being a one-off. I'm somewhat reluctant to commit to it without a draught, but for now I've penciled Guerriere in alongside Macedonian and Shannon as SGN105 reprints. Irony is the same design family making up the backbone of the frigate forces for both sides in the Napoleonic Wars...

12' ~=3mm in scale. My penciled-out group for the 38s was Congress/Chesapeake, Constellation/Philadelphia and a blank-back HMS Chesapeake for the third.

Rub is, as with the entire line, coming up with enough ship names to make three double-sided SKU's on the latter... unless we can get Ares to get over their obsession with it. Both Cruizer and the later Peacock group had relatives on the Great Lakes and had relatives in both ship and brig rigs, so I would tool these two hull sculpts with sockets for both--see my "Brainstorming the War of 1812" thread.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At last after a year of actually collecting the ships I can answer this question.
    The ships I feel that I need to carry out typical actions of the period.
    At present this includes all the First and third rate models, plus a few duplicates, and five Frigates for each side, plus a sloop for French and English.
    My main intent is now to beef up my Spanish as they are released, get the next wave of ships with different broadsides, and look forward to the advent of Merchantmen.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

My answer: I am only getting the models that interest me
    Why? The game is't cheap in my country.