Thread: Table-Top building, anyone?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Default Table-Top building, anyone?

Just wanted to know if anyone plans to be building {or has} a tabletop for their personal/official use?
    After watching a video by RubbishInRubbishOut, an Australian YouTube hobby channel, make a table for Dystopian War, I got to thinking similar for Sails. Dystopian Wars is an altered-reality science fiction Victorian sort of world were steam is king. It is also a 1:1200 scale game. He ends up making an 8' x 4' table. My plans are not that grand. I'm using a found tabletop which I rework the hardware to make it a fold in half kind of thing. It will end up being reasonably bigger than a battlemat. I was not a KS Capt. at the time I started this, and though I would need a playing surface more than a blue tablecloth or bed linen.
    Will be getting pictures up of progress later.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

I built a 4x6' table for general gaming and put a 1x2" border around it and knock down legs, but it doesn't fold. Let us know how things go.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I will be building a 4x8 platform to be put on a folding dining table. I figure this will be large enough for SoG, WoG, ancient naval - just starting to get into this - and WWII armor. For small scale engagements, I will simply use the dining table. With playing mats, and 3d buildings, etc., I can arrange things as needed for any given game. However, Rory's port makes me want some larger scale water and port areas - beautiful stuff. The most important thing, though, is having another table set aside for food.

Looking forward to seeing others' pictures for ideas on construction and terrain pieces.

I built a 8x6 table in the basement of my old house for general gaming. Then I moved and bought 4 banquet tables with folding legs at Costco which are 6x3 each. Much more flexible and can be stored away when not in use.

Eric

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I will be building a 4x8 platform to be put on a folding dining table. I figure this will be large enough for SoG, WoG, ancient naval - just starting to get into this - and WWII armor. For small scale engagements, I will simply use the dining table. With playing mats, and 3d buildings, etc., I can arrange things as needed for any given game. However, Rory's port makes me want some larger scale water and port areas - beautiful stuff. The most important thing, though, is having another table set aside for food.

Looking forward to seeing others' pictures for ideas on construction and terrain pieces.
    Hi Eric,
    I have 3x, 2x4ft now tatty blue/green painted boards. 4ft shore-line with harbour in 4 parts. 4ft flat shore-line in 2parts and a corner appx 18 inches long. All the land bits go in a 26x17x6 inches plastic box. I can photo the box and all the bits in it, If you wish. Just say!
    Be safe
    Rory

Back in my youth (30's to early 40,s) I built a 4ft. by 12ft. table i used both for gaming and matting/framing prints. Now I use a fold-up ping pong table and occaisionally the top of a pool table.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

All the wood and other materials used for the build has been recycled from elsewhere. The tabletop is maple and I believe that the footers are as well. These were used to hold an AC, so just cut them for a miter corner. The rubber feet are punched 1.5" to fit into a counter-sink. Now some dry-fitting for the purpose of pictures. The holes for the hinges were milled. Next, I plan to stain and paint, with a resin effect to seal and make a wave texture.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Eric,
    I have 3x, 2x4ft now tatty blue/green painted boards. 4ft shore-line with harbour in 4 parts. 4ft flat shore-line in 2parts and a corner appx 18 inches long. All the land bits go in a 26x17x6 inches plastic box. I can photo the box and all the bits in it, If you wish. Just say!
    Be safe
    Rory
    So those in the gaming reports are simply painted boards - they're good.

Quote Originally Posted by QfunK! View Post
    All the wood and other materials used for the build has been recycled from elsewhere. The tabletop is maple and I believe that the footers are as well. These were used to hold an AC, so just cut them for a miter corner. The rubber feet are punched 1.5" to fit into a counter-sink. Now some dry-fitting for the purpose of pictures. The holes for the hinges were milled. Next, I plan to stain and paint, with a resin effect to seal and make a wave texture.
    Resin effect? Would you mind explaining when you post the final pictures? Very nice work thus far.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 05-15-2013 at 22:13.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Beautiful top, I love the look of good wood. Nice call on the resin, that'll be a nice durable top.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

Name:  PIC00004.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  159.1 KB

I have a 4' x 8' table in my basement. It currently is cover with green felt, I'll pick up some blue once my ships arrive!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

So those in the gaming reports are simply painted boards - they good.
    Hi Eric,
    Yes, I sprayed the boards with "The Army Painter". Frist "Navy Blue". Then lightly sprayed "Army Green" to look like dry brushing hi-lights. I added little puffs of "White". I then covered the lot with a wet-look "Still Water 26230 Aguas Tranquilas Still Water" by Vallejo. they have been used in lots of games and in and out of my van. So are looking a little tired now. Would I do it again? To save money, Yes! As a modeller I would think again.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Saw this on the Aerodrome this evening. A site for game mats - ocean theme available with different overlays: http://corseceng.com/fabric-mats/

Hey that site is great he has a magnet applicator for placing little magnets into hard to reach places. What more could you want?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Those fabric sheets are quite a find! I wonder if they would do custom work? Will have to look at page again more thoroughly.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Those fabric sheets are quite a find! I wonder if they would do custom work? Will have to look at page again more thoroughly.
    Litko makes custom hex/square templates that allow you to put lines onto any surface. Unfortunately it's most likely permanent. I use colored felt and add the hexes as needed. I play a lot of different games that require various sized hexes 1.25-4". You can always get 2square yards of felt for about $10. That allows me to put different sized hexes on each side.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Saw this on the Aerodrome this evening. A site for game mats - ocean theme available with different overlays: http://corseceng.com/fabric-mats/
    Hi Eric.
    I love the sea mats! But I must ask myself more ships or new mats? Hmmmmm! Ships win.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Eric.
    I love the sea mats! But I must ask myself more ships or new mats? Hmmmmm! Ships win.
    Be safe
    Rory
    That's probably a wise choice.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Beautiful work there!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

That's probably a wise choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Beautiful work there!
    Yes, The work is beautiful, I do not think I have made a wise choice in years.
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I have a Hotz felt mat with 5" hexes and a vinal mat for War @ Sea I got from Gale force Nine. 7eat51 that is a good link you posted. I have to check it closer as to what they have.

I have a 8' x4' table I built several years ago for War at Sea complete with WaS sectors on one side. It is reversable for other games and has seen a ton of use over the years. I have since bought marine vinyl which can be changed out for Naval, land or arieal games. The table breaks down into 4'x4' sections for storage.

It is good for home use. I have since aquire three 6' x 30" folding tables that are identical and transport a bit easier for when I travel to play.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice Aaron. Where did you get the land tiles?

Very nice Aaron. Where did you get the land tiles?
    Thanks they are GHQ. They come plain in various thickness, I then use paint and various products like woodland scenics to turn them into the terrain I want. Currently have woodland, dessert and some water.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

In the process of packing up stuff for GenCon I discovered an old playing mat I bought from Gale Force Nine years ago. If I remember correctly I think they made these for the Pirates game from WizKids? It's a nice heavy vinyl about 35" by 35" and I'm wondering if it will work for any SoG games? It might be too small, but I really like the chart lines, which would help with wind direction and movement. Maybe one on one or 2x2, but anything more would not work? See pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I've got a couple of those mats as well as a number of islands. Looking forward to sailing some SoG ships across them.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's a nice looking mat Jim.

Have fun at Gen-Con. I wish we could make it, but alas, the beginning of the semester calls. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That's a nice looking mat Jim.

Have fun at Gen-Con. I wish we could make it, but alas, the beginning of the semester calls. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
    Photos are second only to getting a chance to demo the game. I don't expect I'll have a chance to post them here until I get back, but we'll see how the Internet works in the hotel.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Completely forgot to upload the completed project. While the rubberized feet are not on, the board is painted and stained, painted and coated. Here is a finished picture. Check out the photo gallery for more.Name:  008.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  250.7 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Completely forgot to upload the completed project. While the rubberized feet are not on, the board is painted and stained, painted and coated. Here is a finished picture. Check out the photo gallery for more.Name:  008.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  250.7 KB
    Mario,

Incredibly done!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nicely done, Mario.

Looking back through this thread has me wondering about doing the following - painting the 4'x8' table with blues for water, and then overlaying terrain for WWII armor and even WoG. The blue can be exposed for rivers, coasts, etc. What I have seen here and on the 'Drome sure beats the 4'x8' sand table we used when playing Tractics many moons ago.