Thread: Rules Questions

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I'm too old now to put up with rules lawyers spoiling my games. If they don't like how the game is being played I will gladly tell them to bugger off and go find somewhere where they do like the way the game is played. If they don't, then I leave the table. Simple. It's easier when you have a regular crew to game with who have the same aim ... to have fun regardless of the result. Of course we all try our best to win, but the result is secondary to the enjoyment we want to experiance.

I have received my copy of WoG and a balloon this week. I expect my friends to be pestering me to give them a game within the next week or so. Something that won't take up the whole day, will provide enjoyment for all and maybe they can invest in themselves to play with their kids (preparing the next generation so to speak ).

In short I've no interest in competition games, hence no interest in points systems. If I want a slug-fest it's a simple case of bring what you've got painted and let's get going.

I fully expect SoG to tick all my boxes for a good, fun game. That's why I'm in at the start. Of course the community here , as at the Aerodrome, is a great bonus regardless of the game's characteristics.

Chris

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    I'm too old now to put up with rules lawyers spoiling my games. If they don't like how the game is being played I will gladly tell them to bugger off and go find somewhere where they do like the way the game is played. If they don't, then I leave the table.
    Much the same here -- and after being at this for some 35 years (and I'm 40), I have no compunctions about calling things as I see them (witness across the hall, and the argument over what constitutes "iconic" WW2 US units).

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

As I understand it, each of the ship packs will include the ship, a deck of movements cards, a two sided ship information card, and And AND...
    A ship log.

Other than the ship log, all of the other components are pretty much analagous to what is packed in a WINGS airplane box so no difficulties there.

The ship log, however, looks to be about 8 x 10 inches (maybe a bit bigger).

I don't see how that can be included in the ship pack box without greatly increasing the size of the box or folding the ship log.
    Neither of which seems to me to be a good solution.

Does anyone have any more information/thoughts on this?

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    As I understand it, each of the ship packs will include the ship, a deck of movements cards, a two sided ship information card, and And AND...
    A ship log.

Other than the ship log, all of the other components are pretty much analagous to what is packed in a WINGS airplane box so no difficulties there.

The ship log, however, looks to be about 8 x 10 inches (maybe a bit bigger).

I don't see how that can be included in the ship pack box without greatly increasing the size of the box or folding the ship log.
    Neither of which seems to me to be a good solution.

Does anyone have any more information/thoughts on this?
    From a BGG post on April 21 by Roberto Di Meglio on April 21 I think that the ship logs are smaller than they appear:

"...5 logs take up about as much space as a Letter/A4 sheet..."

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/9640...t-am-i-expecti
    (14th post on the thread)

Page 18:
    "If, at any time, all the boxes of either the Ship
    Damage track or the Crew Damage track are covered
    by a counter, the ship surrenders and is removed
    from the gaming table."

OK...so if you have a ship with a burden of 5 and it's last box has a damage 1 token, even though it's burden for that box has not been reached and it's not "Full", is it considered "Covered"?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Page 18:
    from the gaming table."

OK...so if you have a ship with a burden of 5 and it's last box has a damage 1 token, even though it's burden for that box has not been reached and it's not "Full", is it considered "Covered"?
    I think it is considered covered when the counters are turned over once the burden has been reached. Also from page 18.

Eric

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Page 18:
    from the gaming table."

For the most part yes. Once there is any counter on a box, that box is no longer available for use in the game. All of the guns are considered destroyed and the ship has no firepower. If you have not already used the Repair Ship action that game, I guess it would be possible to plan that action to remove the damage for that last box. However, even just a single point of damage taken after that would again knock the ship out of the game.

I also think that you could play that rule logically based on the scenario. If the scenario is a simple fight to the death, or kill the other ship, then as soon as that ship is out of guns, game over for it. If on the other hand, said ship's job is to escape the table, I would say as long as it has crew to sail it and at least some damage left in the last hull box, then it could sail on.

Once the last box is closed out, nothing can save it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    For the most part yes. Once there is any counter on a box, that box is no longer available for use in the game. All of the guns are considered destroyed and the ship has no firepower. If you have not already used the Repair Ship action that game, I guess it would be possible to plan that action to remove the damage for that last box. However, even just a single point of damage taken after that would again knock the ship out of the game.

I also think that you could play that rule logically based on the scenario. If the scenario is a simple fight to the death, or kill the other ship, then as soon as that ship is out of guns, game over for it. If on the other hand, said ship's job is to escape the table, I would say as long as it has crew to sail it and at least some damage left in the last hull box, then it could sail on.

Once the last box is closed out, nothing can save it.
    Ah yes now I see it after a more through reading of course! The rules do clearly state when a box is not available, in other words when it is considered covered for both shooting and surrendering. Just one counter no matter the value and it is covered. (In compliance with your request in another thread I won't quote the rules or pages).

Eric