Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
Someday, yes. Its only a minor point; the arcs as they are are over complex, but they work. And the game system is definitely one of the better ones I've used for AoS games ;)
I would agree. The game mechanic that is used to translate simultaneous action to turn based action here and in Wings and how firing takes place is quite elegant.

I will likely remain skeptical however, at least until I have first hand game play experience, about what kind of "interesting" combat strategies may emerge because of the fore and aft extent of the firing arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
I've just checked and in fact there is a rule that closes the "chose which range to use" question - where a ship can be engaged using the central arc as well as a forward and aft arc the firing factors for the central arc are used. It can still give rise to some interesting debates over range but to be honest the circumstances in which they are likely to occur are rare.
Of course, it is often the situations that come up along these rule transition edges that cause the spirited discussussions during play.