First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Just some quick photos for you guys...

Old style tray "supporting" a cordless drill (it will not even stand up):

New style top foam (no bottom foam!) supporting that same drill:

As you can see, the new foam is much denser, but it's actually smoother in feel than the old style.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's impressive - very sturdy, very protective.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Yeah, that's better stuff than the new BF foam. It is definitely different in texture with that lighting. Not the same like I thought from the other photos.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    My initial thought for storing the cards was to keep them in the same cavity, but under the ship and base. But I'll have to double check the height of all of that combined to see if it is going to be too tall for the 3 inch foam. The other thing I forgot to account for since I did not have an actual production ship pack is the ship log that comes with them. I'll have to come up with a good way to store those as well.
    I was leaning towards using a 1/2" or 1" pluck foam tray above each ship to store its cards, ship log, and base.

I was figuring a 1-2" pluck tray for the ship mats and misc. tokens, damage chits, terrain pieces, etc.

Might be worth seeing what custom trays can be made to hold the misc. stuff while you're at it.

Both K/R and BF did such trays for X-Wing. I quickly outgrew the BF one when the second wave of ships came out. Might lend an eye to growth.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

On the Wings side of things, I've always had a tray for the game bits. I'll continue this for Sails as best I can.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

On the Wings side of things, I've always had a tray for the game bits. I'll continue this for Sails as best I can.
    To quote my youngest daughter...

Yay me!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

.....just hurry up and take my money already!

It looks like you're on the right track Keith.

For my Axis and Allies ships I just have baseball card boxes for the cards, and Plano boxes for the ships. Upon opening the first SoG ship it became clear that something like that was not an option, and that I really needed to put each ship right back in the original box in the original configuration after looking at it or examining the stats, or things would quickly become completely unmanageable.

On the other hand, my next thought was--actually the original box makes a pretty nice storage container.

So... how will the foam storage solutions compare to just using the original packaging? Is the custom storage solution... safer? more compact? quicker to access? has other qualities I'm not thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    For my Axis and Allies ships I just have baseball card boxes for the cards, and Plano boxes for the ships. Upon opening the first SoG ship it became clear that something like that was not an option, and that I really needed to put each ship right back in the original box in the original configuration after looking at it or examining the stats, or things would quickly become completely unmanageable.

On the other hand, my next thought was--actually the original box makes a pretty nice storage container.

So... how will the foam storage solutions compare to just using the original packaging? Is the custom storage solution... safer? more compact? quicker to access? has other qualities I'm not thinking of?
    The individual ship packages are pretty nice...and only hold one ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    The individual ship packages are pretty nice...and only hold one ship.
    Well sure, and then each packs very nicely back into the Capt and Lt boxes :) I may cut off the protruding upper cardboard bit though

EDIT: I should add that I'm not trying to be a smart aleck--just trying to get the sense of the value people get out of such add-ons and gauge whether the value merits the price for me. Like, I don't go to conventions, so personally that's not an issue. But I do have a spouse who begrudges the space games take up in the house, so if they stored really compactly then...
    Last edited by fredmiracle; 01-23-2014 at 22:03.

Well sure, and then each packs very nicely back into the Capt and Lt boxes :) I may cut off the protruding upper cardboard bit though

EDIT: I should add that I'm not trying to be a smart aleck--just trying to get the sense of the value people get out of such add-ons and gauge whether the value merits the price for me. Like, I don't go to conventions, so personally that's not an issue. But I do have a spouse who begrudges the space games take up in the house, so if they stored really compactly then...

Your last sentence says it all.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Storing them in the foam trays will take up slightly less room than the Ship Pack boxes. They will offer way more protection however. If you just play at home, the Ship Pack boxes would work just fine for you. However, if you have to go to a store or club to play, the foam trays will work out much better for you. Not only keeping them safer, but making it easier to access all the components needed to play a ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Say Keith, I didn't measure all of them, but for the Frigates wouldn't a 2.5" tray be better than a 3" one? Less overall space plus less tipping?

@ Fred - In addition to other folks comments on why foam I'll add that I like the convenience if grabbing just one bag knowing everything is in it. Nothing worse than getting to the FLGS and realizing you left a shop or necessary components home.

I just tuck those into the top slot of the one next to it for now. One tucked in, the other below. Keeps the box integrity but accomplishes the space saving you're after.

Say Keith, I didn't measure all of them, but for the Frigates wouldn't a 2.5" tray be better than a 3" one? Less overall space plus less tipping?
    I don't think 2.5" would work on SOL's without bending the mainmast or at least making it hard to remove from the tray safely.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I don't think 2.5" would work on SOL's without bending the mainmast or at least making it hard to remove from the tray safely.
    Which is why I very specifically said, "for the Frigates."

I'd like to have a 3" tray for SoLs and a 2.5" tray for Frigates, assuming all Frigates are less than 2.5" tall on their bases as the 3-4 I've measured so far are.

Which is why I very specifically said, "for the Frigates."

I'd like to have a 3" tray for SoLs and a 2.5" tray for Frigates, assuming all Frigates are less than 2.5" tall on their bases as the 3-4 I've measured so far are.
    I should quit scanning and start reading.

But if I'm not mistaken, Keith said that he would match his molds to the individual ships. And if he follows suit with WOG, he will make them as they are released(2 Frigates & 2 SOL's) so far. So he would need 3" trays.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

I should quit scanning and start reading.

But if I'm not mistaken, Keith said that he would match his molds to the individual ships. And if he follows suit with WOG, he will make them as they are released(2 Frigates & 2 SOL's) so far. So he would need 3" trays.
    Good to know, however Keith was going to work with me on custom sized foam that fits my Blue BF Bag. I was referencing that in my query to Keith. It was a thought that occurred to me on the fly with my reply to Fred (I chose to put it first so Keith would see it) and I put it here instead of an email just as a heads up to him about what I was thinking. I wasn't meaning for it to take over this discussion, and in retrospect I should have just kept that query private.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

My standard trays are going to be 3" for both SOLs and frigates. Because most people want the cards and such stored with the ships, the trays have to be 3" to accommodate the Ship Logs.

Curtis, Posting it here is just fine sir. Have you decided how you are going to hold/sort your ship components (thinking about what I posted in the line above)?
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

My standard trays are going to be 3" for both SOLs and frigates. Because most people want the cards and such stored with the ships, the trays have to be 3" to accommodate the Ship Logs.

Curtis, Posting it here is just fine sir. Have you decided how you are going to hold/sort your ship components (thinking about what I posted in the line above)?
    Depends on a few variables. The first question being...

Will the ship cutouts be in the based shape, or bases off to the sides vertically with the ship logs and cards?

As far as the terrain and ship log boards go, I was thinking 2 1" trays. One for ship logs and associated markers, the other for terrain elements, coastal batteries, and their markers.

I'm also wondering about damage chit bags and rulers and wind gauges.

I think I may need to see how you're regular stock trays are going to be set up to get a better idea of what modifications my odd size could accommodate.

* Edit to add - Never thought about measuring the ship logs, lol. 3" thick it is.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Keith, do you have measurement information from Ares concerning the 1st Rates that are coming in Wave 2, which also makes be think of the special edition of the HMS Victory? From the photos I saw those ships will be larger still than the current SOL's. I'm just wondering how you might be planning ahead for those ships as well, much bigger and possibly smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Very good point Jim. Very good point.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Depends on a few variables. The first question being...

Will the ship cutouts be in the based shape, or bases off to the sides vertically with the ship logs and cards?

As far as the terrain and ship log boards go, I was thinking 2 1" trays. One for ship logs and associated markers, the other for terrain elements, coastal batteries, and their markers.

I'm also wondering about damage chit bags and rulers and wind gauges.

I think I may need to see how you're regular stock trays are going to be set up to get a better idea of what modifications my odd size could accommodate.

* Edit to add - Never thought about measuring the ship logs, lol. 3" thick it is.
    I plan to do my standard trays for the ships attached to their bases and loaded from the top. So a really rough ship cavity in a tray would look like this from the top:

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Keith, do you have measurement information from Ares concerning the 1st Rates that are coming in Wave 2, which also makes be think of the special edition of the HMS Victory? From the photos I saw those ships will be larger still than the current SOL's. I'm just wondering how you might be planning ahead for those ships as well, much bigger and possibly smaller.
    A 3 inch tray will hold the largest 1st Rates in Wave 2 by 3mm. But with the new foam that will be plenty.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Keith. I'm glad you're planning ahead for the first rates. I know I'll be purchasing a few and once rigged they will need really secure storage. Cheers!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

Keith I will definitely get a few of these as well as the ratlines when available.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Kabir

I am looking forward to trays for my ships. I currently have 8 and my shelf is full of other mini's. The masts appear to be somewhat fragile.

The down side to using card protectors........
    The stack of cards is now thicker than it used to be. I'm having to jam the 37 card decks into the factory packaging. The 27 card decks aren't a problem. Just keep this in mind when designing a storage system for sale.

Keith, do you have release date for your trays? I thought I read someplace that it would be mid May.

Bumped. Just in case you missed this. Thanks.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Sorry, I did miss these. These trays are suffering from the same foam melting issues as over on the Wings side of things. I've gotten 4 more samples, none of which will work. I do have one sample that works at .5 inch thickness, but the company does not make it any thicker than that. So, I have to see if another company has it or can make it for me in 1, 1.5, and 3 inch thicknesses.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have not gotten into the foam storage for the ships (though I am looking into it now that I have picked up my latest batch of ships).

The one thing I have done is I have constructed tuck boxes for the ship logs and the maneuver decks, allowing me to keep them together. I just used an online template creator and added my own artwork and text.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ChyronDave View Post
    I have not gotten into the foam storage for the ships (though I am looking into it now that I have picked up my latest batch of ships).

The one thing I have done is I have constructed tuck boxes for the ship logs and the maneuver decks, allowing me to keep them together. I just used an online template creator and added my own artwork and text.
    You must show a picture or two when you have the chance. We enjoy looking at folks' handiwork.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    You must show a picture or two when you have the chance. We enjoy looking at folks' handiwork.
    I'll try to get a couple of pictures up sometime soon

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I was looking to create a foam insert to an existing box that I picked up at the local craft store (on sale), but I have not really worked with foam before.

I was thinking using the high density foam that comes 2 in. x 22 in x 22 in (the box I have is 3 inches deep, which gives the tall ships a half inch clearance off the base). I really just need to know the best (read: most inexpensive) way of cutting the foam to size and cutting the shapes in the foam.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I splurged Sunday and picked up a few pieces of pluck foam to work with. For a first attempt, I think it went well.

Name:  2014-07-14 00.23.14.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  168.9 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

David, it does look good. Congrats! From personal experience I'd probably look into some additional protection for the Wave 2 First Rates, especially if you take them to a hobby store or anywhere out and about. Those foremasts (without the new plastic insert Ares is working on) are still susceptible to damage. If you've already repaired or reinforced them then it's probably not as much an issue?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have been very lucky, I've only had to repair one mast so far (that was right out of the package). The previous case I used had them bouncing around a bit, and I was real afraid that they would break in that case. I think that the foam is snug enough to prevent them from shifting around too much, but soft enough to keep my bulky clumsy fingers from breaking them taking them out of the foam and putting them back in.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I mentioned in a previous post that I had been using tuckboxes for the ship decks and logs. Sunday I got a couple of pictures of how I store the game (shot prior to the foam insert).
    Name:  2014-07-13 12.19.37.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  172.6 KB
    This case loads nearly everything needed to play the game except the ships, ship decks and ship logs. The blue felt is just a 3x3 piece that I can use for a mat.
    Name:  2014-07-13 12.22.18.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  154.1 KB
    The tuck boxes I have for the ship logs and decks. The bottom bears the flag for the country the ship is from.
    Name:  2014-07-13 12.22.34.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  153.6 KB
    These trays are from GMT and are perfect for holding the tokens needed for the game. They sit very flat and can stack. I have a second for the ship ammo and action tokens as well.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Again, very nice. Thanks for sharing the photos and ideas!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nicely done, David.

Now that I am going with laminated ship logs/mats, I am rearranging my storage and transport system. I can store more ships in each bin and need not carry as much accessories; I have eliminated one case thus far.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

I too am changing my storage system. I have magnetized my bases and storing the decks separately.

Nice work David! Care to share your tuckbox files?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I can do that. Most of the images I pulled from the internet.

I also changed how I store my ships... again. I trip to Jo-Ann Fabric to look for a case that was larger than 13 by 13 had be finding something better. I have pics in an album on my page here.

Edit

Here is a link to the PDF of the boxes I have made. This excludes the Kickstarter exclusives. Also note that even though the Montagne box is a four piece ship log, it is built in the three piece box size.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ip%20boxes.pdf
    Last edited by ChyronDave; 07-14-2014 at 20:03. Reason: added info

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dave, would you consider adding boxes for the KS ships if someone fed you the info on 'em?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I can do that. Most of the images I pulled from the internet.

I also changed how I store my ships... again. I trip to Jo-Ann Fabric to look for a case that was larger than 13 by 13 had be finding something better. I have pics in an album on my page here.

Edit

Here is a link to the PDF of the boxes I have made. This excludes the Kickstarter exclusives. Also note that even though the Montagne box is a four piece ship log, it is built in the three piece box size.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ip%20boxes.pdf
    Wow, Dave!! Those are exceptionally nice.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dave, would you consider adding boxes for the KS ships if someone fed you the info on 'em?
    All I would need is the ship names, Nationality, and whether the logs are the three piece or the four piece versions.

Added

For the record, I used the following website to actually build the box templates. The artwork was added in Paint Shop Pro

http://www.templatemaker.nl/

I like this site because it can create templates for a lot of different types of items

Addenda

I think I have the four ships in the Kickstarter set, I just need to verify that they have the larger 3 piece ship logs. And, thanks to work, I probably will not get them until Friday night or the weekend.
    Last edited by ChyronDave; 07-15-2014 at 20:37. Reason: added info

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Two huge boxes arrived today from JoAnn's. I spent the evening transferring WWII planes from their boxes to the bins. So much nicer. All of my WoG and SoG pieces are now in clear containers that stack. It will be much easier to find and use items. I never thought I would become so fond of a craft store.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, that's what I said when I discovered ArtBin's Super Satchel line early in my A&A/War at Sea days.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here is the link to the file for the kickstarter ships. I also included a small box version of the Montagne as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0boxes%202.pdf

Here is the link to the file for the kickstarter ships. I also included a small box version of the Montagne as well.

Hi Dave, what are you putting in the boxes? They seem too large for the maneuver decks..

Very helpful David thanks.Now all you need is an avatar

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hi Dave, what are you putting in the boxes? They seem too large for the maneuver decks..
    They are actually designed to hold the ship log and maneuver deck. Since there are two styles of ship logs (3 piece and 4 piece) there are two styles of boxes.