Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foam Storage trays

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    No worries Cory, take care and make sure you can only float your new ships outside your house.
    Keith, so sorry I noticed my scans loaded in reverse order to only add to the confusion of my sketches. I had to ask, is there any merit/feasibility in my idea? I know it would be a very thick piece of foam, but, in my head at least, it would allow for a large number of models ready to go.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Sorry, I'm on flood watch, Northern Illinois just got 1-2inches of water and my backyard was/is under water and window wells are filling up. You have my idea in hand pretty well. Sorry, I wasn't able to answer sooner.
    How's your house? I was on the northwest side yesterday - off of Harlem, First Avenue. A lot of water, roads closed, etc. I hope all is well with you.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    How's your house? I was on the northwest side yesterday - off of Harlem, First Avenue. A lot of water, roads closed, etc. I hope all is well with you.
    Just a little water through a window well. But getting home was a nightmare. Two streets over salt creek were under water, a normal 10 minute commute took 30 minutes. I had it easy compared to a lot of others I work with. Thanks.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Keith, so sorry I noticed my scans loaded in reverse order to only add to the confusion of my sketches. I had to ask, is there any merit/feasibility in my idea? I know it would be a very thick piece of foam, but, in my head at least, it would allow for a large number of models ready to go.

I think there is. I’ve got to find some time to play with designing the layout in my programs to see how many ships could safely be stored still. And then compare the number of ships stored per total thickness of foam between all the different configurations. After that, is time to compare the cost of each tray between the different configurations (thicker foam is more expensive, but if you need less of it overall…)
    I don’t think the foam would not have to be too much thicker then it would to hold the ships in a normal vertical position.

I am just seeing this thread, sorry for being slow...

Cory, I hope all is well now up your way.

As an alternet idea...

My thought would be this. Go with laying on the side. Only store the trays vertically, transporting them like beehive 'supers'. When you are not using your fleet, as in being 'in ordinary', have them mount into a 3d picture frame, to be displayed on the wall. This maximizes use and provides convenience in storage. I would use generic shapes so the groupings could be customized. This would have to be a delux option, but with our creative crew members, I bet some creative juices are flowing. Personally I would prefer the other items to be stored separately. One other advantage would be if they were in linked pairs, they could be displayed at the game site as in an open book standing on its edge, for easy ship choosing.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or make it with each row being a separate foam insert to slide in or out... problem is three slots per row and split the Kickstarters into two rows, or four and have an empty slot?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kelly

I am up for the upright position.

What kind of transport bag? I was thinking the bag could not only hold the minis but somehow hold the future map that Ares will put out.....is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzen View Post
    I am up for the upright position.

What kind of transport bag? I was thinking the bag could not only hold the minis but somehow hold the future map that Ares will put out.....is that possible?
    It's always good to hear from someone who can think outside of the box. I never thought of anything larger than the WoG trays. But a longer tray to hold the heavy mats and the light ships above them sound like a good idea. But finding the right size bag could be a problem.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

At 27" (68cm) on the shortest side, a bag to hold the mat and the ships would be impractical really. The footprint of a bag that size would be very large and hard to carry around. Now, a tube or something to put the mat into and attach to the bag, now that might work.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    But finding the right size bag could be a problem.
    And expensive, given the length of playing mats. Here is a possible bag style: http://www.amazon.com/Sandpiper-Cali...342496&sr=1-12

Name:  Bag.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  27.4 KB

Checkout Tactical bags (Texsport Canvas Tactical Bag, 34" x 15" x 12") on Amazon. Not only cheap($33.49) but free shipping too.
    Should be enough room to carry a couple of mats plus a layer of ships.
    Since I need a range bag that size, I just ordered one. If it's any good I'll let you know.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Checkout Tactical bags (Texsport Canvas Tactical Bag, 34" x 15" x 12") on Amazon. Not only cheap($33.49) but free shipping too.
    Since I need a range bag that size, I just ordered one. If it's any good I'll let you know.
    I personally would be concerned about the quality of that bag. My folks have been in the upholstery/bag/leather/sewing business for about 25 years now and even massed produced, that is extremely cheap for the amount of materiel and labor for a bag that size. I hope it works out of you though.

Another concern of using a bag that is large enough to fit the mats is that it is not going to hold the trays for the ships very well. Either the trays for the ships are going to have to be huge, making them hard to get in and out, or you are going to have a lot of filler foam to secure smaller trays.... or lastly, lots of smaller trays to fill the large space. Meaning until you have lots of ships, you will have to spend money on empty trays just to fill the bag and hold them safely in place.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not trays, but another idea for us who like "hard shell" storage... While I was in an office-supply store the other day, I saw a 16-pack of 0.3-liter plastic boxes that I was wondering how they'd do for Sog or WoG with a little added padding, say 1/16" to 1/8" of foam sheet lining the inside plus whatever added for dividers.

Dimensions
    External: 4 3⁄4"L x 3 3⁄8"W x 2 9⁄16"D
    Internal: 3 9⁄16"L x 2 9⁄16"W x 2 1⁄8"D

What do you guys who've been hands-on think about these for only transporting a few ships at a time? (I was also thinking one Organizer Pack of 16 would probably handle everything except bombers and balloons for WGF, ditto a second for WGS...)

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Roger

Since you are thinking outside the box, how about the cheap tupperware/rubbermaid microwaveable food containers. Also one the roll up mats that sewers\crafters use for their hobby.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Possible, Roger... not so sure about roll-up mats, but the neat thing about those boxes is that my mother could run one over with her SUV and it'd come out intact. LOL (Though I've also considered asking the Big Guy if he might consider helping me design trays to fit in "Fat Fifty" ammo-cans...)

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kelly

I personally would be concerned about the quality of that bag. My folks have been in the upholstery/bag/leather/sewing business for about 25 years now and even massed produced, that is extremely cheap for the amount of materiel and labor for a bag that size. I hope it works out of you though.

Another concern of using a bag that is large enough to fit the mats is that it is not going to hold the trays for the ships very well. Either the trays for the ships are going to have to be huge, making them hard to get in and out, or you are going to have a lot of filler foam to secure smaller trays.... or lastly, lots of smaller trays to fill the large space. Meaning until you have lots of ships, you will have to spend money on empty trays just to fill the bag and hold them safely in place.
    I was thinking more "outside" the bag.....in other words, a compartment that is part of the bag but not "inside" the bag where the trays would be.

Your idea of a tube got me thinking of the bags that a fold-up camp chair comes in.....would that work and can we get such a bag.

At 27" (68cm) on the shortest side, a bag to hold the mat and the ships would be impractical really. The footprint of a bag that size would be very large and hard to carry around. Now, a tube or something to put the mat into and attach to the bag, now that might work.
    Do you think a bag and trays will be available in the Anchorage accessories by the time the SoG will be in stock? If so, that would save me a lot of time and money experimenting.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or, if experimenting is going to be required, we could all brainstorm, each take one possible idea to try and report back with results about what works and what doesn't. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Or, if experimenting is going to be required, we could all brainstorm, each take one possible idea to try and report back with results about what works and what doesn't. :)
    I've already started mine.

"Checkout Tactical bags (Texsport Canvas Tactical Bag, 34" x 15" x 12") on Amazon. Not only cheap($33.49) but free shipping too.
    Since I need a range bag that size, I just ordered one. If it's any good I'll let you know."

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'll check out those boxes when I find an 0.3-liter single on the shelf and report back once the minis come out. WGF/S, I'll report on over at the Drome.

EDIT to add: was just suggesting that maybe the others might consider doing trials of their own ideas and reporting back... also, it helps to consider we all probably have different needs, like in my case an "armored" but compact outside and extreme-high-density packing inside, and thus are looking for different things in our storage, so there won't be a one-size-fits-all solution.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-28-2013 at 12:08.

I have all my WoG minis stored in KR trays. I am sure KR will release foam trays for SoG ships when they are released. They also have trays for X-Wing. I have several of their cardboard cases for my planes. I haven't gone for the expensive metal cases, as it is a cardboard case full of trays is about $50 shipped. Not the cheapest option to be sure...

Eric

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So, what's our upper size limit? Per the Wikipedia chart of largest wooden ships, 1636-96 HMS Sovereign of the Seas/Royal Sovereign will be 78mm long over spars, Victory only 69 and Constitution 62.

Has a decision been made on storing the ships (on their sides or standing up etc) in the foam trays yet?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

We also need "width over widest spar" and "height to uppermost point" to define the envelope too.

Ed, it sounds to me like anything would have to be designed to "trap" the base and avoid direct contact with the ship. Could be done vertical (long axis up/down) or sideways (90-degree rotate on long axis, but I'd figure "tabletop flat" is most probable.

Smile

OK, I have had some reflection time and I think I know what I want to do, once we know the size of the trays.

My thought is to make an articulated sea chest, of the classic shape, with the upper lid opening to rule books etc, maybe more.

The main body of the chest would be in 2 - 3 trays that would clamp together, but come apart for ship selection.

It would be made of a very light wood covered in old world map printed fabric (if I can just remember where I saw some) so it would be a nice nautical theme and well protected.

How exactly? Well, I guess I better think fast.

Since I’m partial to the Portable Warfare Sergeant case with the top and the front openings, I think the Sabol type trays are strong enough to support the ships and cards, and are neat and easy to access. The grey case with an iron on picture or patch of a man of war would look great.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I have all my WoG minis stored in KR trays. I am sure KR will release foam trays for SoG ships when they are released. They also have trays for X-Wing. I have several of their cardboard cases for my planes. I haven't gone for the expensive metal cases, as it is a cardboard case full of trays is about $50 shipped. Not the cheapest option to be sure...

Eric
    Well, I just sent them an email inquiring what, if anything they have in the works for trays. If they answer back I will let ya know.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzen View Post
    Well, I just sent them an email inquiring what, if anything they have in the works for trays. If they answer back I will let ya know.
    I got a response today from KR trays. It was short and sweet and stated that there might be something ready in September.

Ordinary Seaman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Rab

All,

My first wish would be to store the minis in such a way as to maintain their attitude in transit, that is, if they go into the box/ bag vertical, they stay that way during carriage.

I have seen some boxes made, where the ships are laid in "vertically", the box is closed and because the handle is on one side, when picked up all the models instantly rotate through 90 degrees.

This is true of the GW transport cases, in the form of attaché cases.

A lot will depend upon whether or not the ship is rigged, for those of us who intend to add rigging to their models, having a foam blanket around the model might seem like a good idea, but, if loaded in vertically, it may mean grabbing the masts to remove the ship from the case, with obvious risk to the rigging

Laying the ship on its side however, may also risk damaging the rigging, especially as the bases are larger than the hulls and the spars will be taking the weight.

My preference would be for the bases to be magnetic, either as made or by the addition of neodymium magnets.

A (foam) frame around the bases, but only 1/2 inch / 12mm or so high, with a semicircular cut out to insert a digit, to pry up the base, or a tab of ribbon to lift the base up so it can be gripped.

I would want the case to be rigid, so if some clown placed a stack of books on top, :angry: the models would survive (I am not talking making it strong enough to stand on).

I would want any handle to be placed such that it was likely that the average lands-man would tend to keep the box orientated in its proper direction.

Shoulder straps I would suggest are likely to be a no-no.

rabbit

From what I've seen so far, it shouldn't make much difference which way stock SoG ships lie in a case. If one adds rigging, ratlines, etc., that's another story.
    Last edited by Gunner; 08-27-2013 at 15:17.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I thought the one (ONLY ONE) bright side about the bases being so thick is from the Gencon pictures it looks like it should be easy to glue rare earth magnets in the hollow space without drilling or modifying the bases. Name:  238.JPG
Views: 1366
Size:  266.6 KB
    Last edited by Wartrain; 08-27-2013 at 10:13. Reason: spelling

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    I think that you are all too concerned about handling the ships, Rigged or unrigged (see my album). I use Large sandwich boxes (for 12-13 ships) with a nonslip mat cut to size and add a sheet of bubble wrap over the top before closing the lid. As I do not plan to throw them around and they have been to many games and events I am happy with this. I did put the boxes in a larger box which broke and the lot landed on the floor (a 2-3 ft drop) and had no damage. I have now a large plastic box to put the sandwich boxes in.
    Be safe
    Rory

Ordinary Seaman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Rab

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi All,
    I think that you are all too concerned about handling the ships, Rigged or unrigged ....
    Rory
    Yes, thanks for this rory, I have seen how you illustrate handling your ships, and am impressed by the strength they seem to have.

however, once upon a time, when gaming with some of my mates, whenever we packed our figures for a game, along with the dice and the tape, would be a tube of glue, as a wheel would come off a tank, figures would come off their bases, or some other catastrophe would befall them, like being covered with scrambled egg!

maybe when you grip the ship, you don't pretend to be the man of steel, or maybe I have just been unlucky.

My boss used to describe me as risk averse!

rabbit

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Yes, thanks for this rory, I have seen how you illustrate handling your ships, and am impressed by the strength they seem to have.

however, once upon a time, when gaming with some of my mates, whenever we packed our figures for a game, along with the dice and the tape, would be a tube of glue, as a wheel would come off a tank, figures would come off their bases, or some other catastrophe would befall them, like being covered with scrambled egg!

maybe when you grip the ship, you don't pretend to be the man of steel, or maybe I have just been unlucky.

My boss used to describe me as risk averse!

rabbit
    Rab,
    A ships has only 5 main parts, 6 if you count the base. All pulled together with rigging. I too have had bits fall of wargame figs in my time, but scrambled egg.
    Be safe
    Rory

Ordinary Seaman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Rab

Rory, and now you know why I want my ships wrapped in gossamer, plucked from the wings of angels, then wrapped in a large steel box, marked "THIS WAY UP" and with a huge razor sharp spike on the top to discourage anyone from sitting on it.

to quote someone more eloquent than me...
    "just because you are paranoid, does not mean they are not out to get you"

you keep safe too

Rab

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Rory, and now you know why I want my ships wrapped in gossamer, plucked from the wings of angels, then wrapped in a large steel box, marked "THIS WAY UP" and with a huge razor sharp spike on the top to discourage anyone from sitting on it.
    This is where I find a box which can be made to look like yours; make it up appropriately; smash the hell out of it; then when you're not looking, conceal the actual box, and replace it with the fake.... >;)

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    This is where I find a box which can be made to look like yours; make it up appropriately; smash the hell out of it; then when you're not looking, conceal the actual box, and replace it with the fake.... >;)
    Chris,
    Play nice!
    Be safe
    Rory

Chris, I worry about you.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Somebody just got a Baby Ruth bar scheduled for delivery into his punchbowl. :P

Ordinary Seaman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Rab

And how we would laugh!

... Afterwards

rabbit

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

And how we would laugh! :happy: :happy: :happy:

... Afterwards :takecover:
    Keys to a Good Practical Joke:

1) Do no actual harm. (Hence the replacement of the original with a carefully-made -- and demolished -- clone.)
    2) Confuse or alarm, but do not humiliate. (AKA "The Carrie Rule". >:) )
    3) Make sure when the trigger is pulled, you are *not* in the vicinity. (The mark will invariably look to the people standing around pointing and laughing for the perpetrator; one need only be there long enough to see it has worked -- then one should become Scarce.)

The works of baseball player, and invertebrate prankster*, Jay Johnstone are required reading on the topic.

[*: He was spineless in his inability to not pull pranks. >;) ]

As to those wondering about me: Look at my avatar -- what part of that says "nice guy"? ;)

"You cheated!"
    "Pirate...."

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

2) Confuse or alarm, but do not humiliate. (AKA "The Carrie Rule". >:) )
    Sorry, some targets just BEG for UTTER, CRUSHING humiliation--the To The Manor Born With Silver Spoon In Mouth And Head Firmly Lodged In Arse power-class, for example.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sorry, some targets just BEG for UTTER, CRUSHING humiliation--the To The Manor Born With Silver Spoon In Mouth And Head Firmly Lodged In Arse power-class, for example.
    For those requiring Humiliation, one proceeds beyond the realm of the Practical Joke -- and into the realm usually labeled "Felony".... >:)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Depends how it's done... you can be Crushingly Humiliating and still legal, like an embarrassing question you KNOW they're gonna lie to with the proof they're filling the bilges with Brown Smelly conveniently at hand.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Depends how it's done... you can be Crushingly Humiliating and still legal, like an embarrassing question you KNOW they're gonna lie to with the proof they're filling the bilges with Brown Smelly conveniently at hand.
    Well, that also requires Being In The Room With The Mark -- and in some cases, that address has Permanent Fatal Errors. :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, back in junior-high and high-school I preferred the works of George Hayduke. LOL

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Chris, back in junior-high and high-school I preferred the works of George Hayduke. LOL
    Ah -- another disciple.... >:)

I guess we come by our avatars honestly -- well, as honestly as our type can manage....

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

"Screw unto others before they get unto you!" LOL

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"Who falls behind... is left behind." >:)

Are you and Chris related or just kindred spirits?