I'd like to get you guys on the subject of foam storage trays for this game. I've roughed out the ship shapes and am trying to decide if it would be better to store the ships on their sides, or have them stand up in the foam trays?

On their sides
If stored this way, the tray has to be 1.5 inches (38.1mm) thick, the bases and cards would be stored in a separate cutout on the same tray (similar to my Wings trays). These ships have a pretty large footprint when laid on their side, so I can not get a lot on a single tray.

Standing up
If stored this way, the tray has to 3 inches (76.2mm) thick. I would have several options for storing the bases and cards.

1. They could be stored on edge in one part of the tray while the ships were in another area of the same tray. This setup would most likely allow the maximum number of ships to be stored.
  2. Keep the ships on their bases, with the cards stored underneath them. We would get less minis per tray, but all of the miniature's components would be in the same spot for easy selection.
  3. Have a cutout for the base and cards right next to each ship. This would allow for slightly less storage capacity as option one, but more then option 2. It also has the benifit of having the ship and it's base/cards right next to it.

What are you guys thoughts?