Thread: Foam Storage trays

Hybrid View

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Neither of us have seen the pegs, so we can't pass judgement. Do they not secure the ship to the base? Do they have a positive lock, or are they just a loose fit? If they lack a positive lock, then it might be possible to modify them so they do. Buy a threading die from a hardware store and put a fixing nut on the bottom. All it takes is a little imagination.
    I have some of the ships and one of the base. They are pretty much the same as the pegs used in Wings. They do have a better grip as they are larger pegs, but I still would not trust to that alone to hold the ships in place.

You could use a tap and die on the pegs, but they are tapered, so you would most likely need to replace the peg with a metal one you have added threading to. But then, you would have to spin the entire ship around to take it off the storage tray... which would waste a lot of room.

I think for someone willing to modify ship/base, the best method would be to tap them both to fit a rare earth magnet in them. Then you could use the magnet ont eh bottom of the ship to attach to metal in the storage tray. Even with this route, I'd want them surrounded by foam to protect them from things falling on them.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I have some of the ships and one of the base. They are pretty much the same as the pegs used in Wings. They do have a better grip as they are larger pegs, but I still would not trust to that alone to hold the ships in place.

I think for someone willing to modify ship/base, the best method would be to tap them both to fit a rare earth magnet in them. Then you could use the magnet ont eh bottom of the ship to attach to metal in the storage tray. Even with this route, I'd want them surrounded by foam to protect them from things falling on them.
    Damm, I better stop feeding my kids those rare earth magnets.