View Poll Results: Would you buy a shirt with our new masthead on it for $19 not including shipping?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 43.24%
  • No

21 56.76%

Thread: Would you buy a shirt with our new masthead on it for $19 not including shipping?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Would you buy a shirt with our new masthead on it for $19 not including shipping?

Would you buy a t-shirt with our new masthead on it for $19 not including shipping?

Our fearless and multitalented leader designed beautiful t-shirts for the Aerodrome. Is there enough interest on this site that would justify the time and effort required to do the same for the SoG community? Unless a given minimum order could be made, such an undertaking would be a loss. So let's test the waters to see if this would be a worthwhile future endeavor. I don't know what the cost would be, but for argument's sake, let's assume $19 not including shipping, as this is the current price for WoG WWI shirts:
    http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...i-t-shirt.html

If within the next six months or so enough folks would purchase, maybe this could become a reality. If an insufficient number of folks would desire such a t-shirt at such a price, at least we would know.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The only reason I wouldn't is that I don't wear T-shirts, ever, for any reason. It IS a good idea, though...

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The only reason I wouldn't is that I don't wear T-shirts, ever, for any reason. It IS a good idea, though...
    I shudder at the thought of you running around shirtless all the time!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I shudder at the thought of you running around shirtless all the time!
    With good reason given my blindingly reflective dead-fish complexion... actually, it's just that I'm more a button-downs, work-shirts or polos kind of guy.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I rarely wear T-shirts either. Mostly dress shirts. If it's a T-shirt, it's almost always long sleeve for me.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Actually, a long sleeve t-shirt would be nice. Same with polos. I realize, one step at a time assuming there's interest.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If someone was producing polo shirts in the UK with the logo and I was running a demonstration or participation game at a show then I'd get and wear one, but otherwise no.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Long sleeve T-shirts are easy to add as they are still screen printed and only add to the number being made. Polo's need to be embroidered (at least, in my opinion) and area completely different setup and charges.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Depends where you go to. There are an increasing number of online shops that will do embroidery based on a .BMP or .JPG for not very much at all. the cheapest I found was about GBP6, although i wasn't sure of the quality. typically about GBP10-12, often with no minimum numbers and thus allowing variety across types of shirts, colours etc. I'd look into this in more depth but I have so many projects on the go at the moment and a sequence of tight deadlines coming up over the next couple of months that look like hurricanes lining up in the Atlantic :)

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Well, my folks have an embroidery business, so I could easily get them done there at a family price with no minimum. But I'd still have to do screen printing at a different shop and meet their minimums and setup fees. In the end, must customers are not going to buy both, with reduces the number sold of either... making them each cost more.

And there very well could be cheaper online sites, but I'm not willing to risk the quality when it comes to one of my products.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

How about an embroidered t shirt option? It would be good for the family business?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

It could be an option if shirts are ever made.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

When the game is up and running, and there are more folks on this site, we could do a poll and see if the preference is for polos or for t-shirts. Personally, I would like both, but if I had to choose, I would choose polos. In the end, though, I would rather have a t-shirt than nothing. So from a preference standpoint: both, polo, t-shirt.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I prefer polo, but if it's a t-shirt or nothing then I'd have a t-shirt.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

I am a T-shirt (or nothing) guy and this price point is acceptable. As it stands, I wouldn't buy one but that is because I don't identify enough with the logo as stand-alone art. Whereas, the Aerodrome shirts also feature a famous plane with the added personalization of the ID and Aerodrome community logo.

If you added an abstract of a ship firing a broadside etc. it would be a sell for me. I think the pic should be something dynamic as the general perception of ships is ponderous. Something really hectic with lots of rigging etc. might work.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Personally, I figure something along the line of a "challenge coin"* would be more in keeping with the site theme, and would last far longer to boot.

[*: Tho' not necessarily called that; I know how... twitchy... Actual Military Folks can be about Mere Civvies appropriating their traditions. :) ]

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, how twitchy SOME can be... I remember one night in Wichita when I crashed a party full of colonels and generals, and one of 'em pulled out his old LTC oak-leaves, pinned 'em to my collar and said "this young man is One Of Us". Still consider it some of the highest praise I've ever received, being accepted as an equal by all those old SAC warhorses... :)

And actually, even though we have many who didn't work on 'em (myself included), the F-106 Forum is developing a Challenge Coin for our members and the entire Delta Dart community. (I'm in as a "Legacy Member," they were the last birds Grandpa slung wrenches on before he retired.) So, it could be kinda cool... ESPECIALLY if there was an official Ares Games version for their employees to hand out at cons they attend, like for sitting through an SGN demo.

Boss, if you do coins, I'd be glad to refer you to the guy who did ours and link you to samples of his prior work... Pat's pretty good at it.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

And a "challenge coin" is what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    And a "challenge coin" is what, exactly?
    It's a coin that has emblems, mottos, etc. on each side that is unique to a group or organization.

Name:  n-231stnbb.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  63.4 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I like the coin idea. I collect military patches, and all of mine have been given to me by friends or acquaintances, or are from units I served with; there is a name and story for each patch. To have coins from here and the Aerodrome would have a similar feel - a community token.

I haven't heard these referred to as challenge coins, so at first I thought they had something to do with dueling. What is the history behind the term challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I like the coin idea. I collect military patches, and all of mine have been given to me by friends or acquaintances, or are from units I served with; there is a name and story for each patch. To have coins from here and the Aerodrome would have a similar feel - a community token.

I haven't heard these referred to as challenge coins, so at first I thought they had something to do with dueling. What is the history behind the term challenge?
    Here's a good link which includes history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Here's a good link which includes history:
    Thanks Bobby.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

If we do shirts, I would of course commission artwork for the back of it like I did for the Aerodrome shirt. The names on the sleeves would be options as well.

Challenge coins would be cool as well... I've got a few of those from my military days as well.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If we do shirts, I would of course commission artwork for the back of it like I did for the Aerodrome shirt. The names on the sleeves would be options as well.

Challenge coins would be cool as well... I've got a few of those from my military days as well.
    Such as the U.S. Constitution?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I think the ship would need to be nondescript to make everyone happy ;)

I think the ship would need to be nondescript to make everyone happy ;)
    David probably wouldn't be very happy wearing a picture of the defiler of the British Navy on his back.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

In that case, I vote 'yes.'

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaLazarus View Post
    In that case, I vote 'yes.'
    I am afraid this isn't Chicago. You can only vote once.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am afraid this isn't Chicago. You can only vote once.
    I had a dead guy vote for me.

Thanks to @Coog for that link. I have some coins from my time in as well, but I never knew they were called "challenge Coins" or knew a history to them. We got them (like the article says) for doing something good that wasn't worth a medal. I remember my favorite one was a guy I selected for a vehicle search and we found weapons in the trunk. Our team got called in after work and though we were in trouble (we figured maybe the guy was connected), but instead the CSM (Provost Sgt.) gave us all coins for the act.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaLazarus View Post
    I had a dead guy vote for me.
    As a former employee of the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners, I neither confirm nor deny the existence of such practices.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

A KS Challenge Coin would be cool. I have one from my days on Nightwatch which I carry with me at all times and a special (but little larger) coin presented to our team by SecDef William Perry when he flew a special trip with us which I have on the wall at home. I've never really seen them in civilian use.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

I think the T shirt idea is a no brainer, a challenge coin would also be cool.

What about a secret handshake?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

No. I need the mony for the game itself... sorry

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

I like the Challenge coin idea, I have a couple from other kickstarters and they look good. But, is there something more fitting for an age a sail theme? Small signal flags with the logo? Some emblem to "strike the colors" when you've lost? Just a thought.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I'm a polo shirt only kind of person also... And I really need an XLTall size, or it won't fit me after the first trip through the laundry... Unfortunately, most shirt offerings don't meet my needs as a big and tall guy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

The multifaceted Challenge Coin is quite a pleasing possibility.
    Is it just easier to screen the back of a shirt opposed to the front? I don't get to see the main logo that way, and pocket logos are never as cool. Plus how will I get a great sea galleon across my chest without the pain of a new tattoo?
    Honestly though, I am interested in the option of a shirt at this price point. Polos are better with embroidery, and T-shirts are better screened. Long or short sleeve makes little difference, but color selection does.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by QfunK! View Post
    Plus how will I get a great sea galleon across my chest without the pain of a new tattoo?
    More...

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Aye
    I'll buy one,
    I like to show allegiances