Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rorys Harbour and ships

Imagination, I think I had one once but then I think I didn't. Perhaps I imagined it.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I have a garage stuffed to the rafters with foam and wood bits waiting to be converted into buildings and landscapes. Unfortunately I don't have a space in which to do it. The garage isn't set up to have a shop of any kind. No electricity, drafty with broken windows. The wife thinks I'm as mad as the Hatter. One day I'll get to all these projects I've been dreaming of. Ah... imagination.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post

Fellows, fortunately we were raised in an era when we were told to use our imagination.

And now we wait for a game like kids wait for Christmas, that is pre-made, pre-painted and can play straight from the box! Its all wrong somehow
    Be safe
    rory

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    ...and I made a whole fleet of starships for "Full Thrust" out of bits and pieces (plastic spoons make excellent starship bridges and hulls!)...
    I would love to see a pic of those if you still have one! I love Full Thrust but got into it when I couldn't afford the metal ships. I still have the FT/More Thrust books and have thought of mocking up some of my own ships to play. Your fleet sounds fun and creative.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Once you get into the idea of recycling materials for modelling you enver look at apiece of rubbish the same way. You'll always be thinking "what can I turn that into?" :)
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    And now we wait for a game like kids wait for Christmas, that is pre-made, pre-painted and can play straight from the box! Its all wrong somehow
    Yes, but some of us still want to get our hands on the models to see what can be 'improved' and I am planning on making some of my own land masses (including ports and forts) once I have the rules, sample Terrain Packs and models in hand to really understand scale. Just because we can play out of the box doesn't mean we have to leave our imagination sitting in one.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Be safe
    rory
    At least we can make up scenarios, etc. When I was a kid, I could take a handful of army men and a couch and play for hours.

David, my wife lit up when I mentioned your building using punch card chits. I saw the wheels turning.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

At least we can make up scenarios, etc. When I was a kid, I could take a handful of army men and a couch and play for hours.

David, my wife lit up when I mentioned your building using punch card chits. I saw the wheels turning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    Yes, but some of us still want to get our hands on the models to see what can be 'improved' and I am planning on making some of my own land masses (including ports and forts) once I have the rules, sample Terrain Packs and models in hand to really understand scale. Just because we can play out of the box doesn't mean we have to leave our imagination sitting in :
    You are both men from my side of the force For me it was a stone fire-place Eric.
    Be safe
    Rory

And for me it was the lounge room floor with Timpo knights and marbles...wish I'd kept all those 54mm swoppets!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Oh my God Daniel,
    Do you take me back in time and to my old fire-place
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Mine were the cowboys and indians. And then it was the Airfix 1/32 scale coloured plastics. Germans were grey, Afrika Korps an off yellow, Russian were brown. A few boxes and immediately playing in the garden. those were the days.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I had a lot of WWII - Americans Germans (even ski troops), French etc. They were probably 1/32 scale, though at the time I didn't pay that much attention - I knew the difference between the big guys and the 1/72 box of 40 or so at $1.00. I also had Napoleonics, again probably 1/32. All of the 1/32s had very good detail, so did the 1/72s. I think out of all my childhood toys, the army men are the ones I regret the most not keeping. To this day, whenever I am somewhere, I think, "If I had 10 men to defend this room, where would I deploy them?" I also tend to set up whatever coinage I have in my pocket on the dining room table, sometimes behind papers, etc. And I am not one bit ashamed.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

The Russians are Comming
    My sister is now camera-less. So here is "Gavriil" 100 gun 3 decker.

Name:  P1050917.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  3.34 MBName:  P1050925.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  3.35 MBName:  P1050927.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  2.76 MB

My very small Russian "High sea fleet"

Name:  P1050928.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  3.29 MB

As well as "Gavriil" it has 2 74's "Laroslav" & "Moskva"

Name:  P1050929.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  3.34 MB

2 66's "Azlla" & "Pobeda"

Name:  P1050931.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  3.35 MB

And 2 4th rater's "Krepkii"54 & "Nazaret" 44

Name:  P1050933.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  3.23 MB

I wish to add 6 more ships and hopefully a wreck to this fleet. Sorry for comming off thread for the pic's, but I was asked it do so.
    Be safe
    Rory

Fantastic fleet and really nice to see ships from Russia

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Impressive fleet. Your work is top-notch. Inspirational.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Need to get a copy of that book....

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Need to get a copy of that book....
    Chris,
    It's "Russian Warships in the age of sail 1696-1860. Design, Construction, Careers and Fates". By John Tredrea & Eduard Sozaev. Seaforth Publishing. www.seaforthpublishing.com
    ISBN978-1-84832-058-1. Now for the hard part, R.R.P. £50-00 / $85-00. Got mine for my brithday.
    Be safe
    Rory

Rory,
    I've said it privately and I'll say it here, your Russian fleet is beautiful. You are a master modeler sir.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice indeed.

Seeing these makes me look forward, even more, to future expansions of SoG. I hope we'll see growth beyond British, French, and American ships.

Rory I really like your rigging, have you used three different colours for the rig? Black for standing and two different threads for running or is that an artifact of the photos?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All
    Have a bad night this is the 3rd go at this posting:angry:. 3rd time lucky!

Very nice indeed.

Seeing these makes me look forward, even more, to future expansions of SoG. I hope we'll see growth beyond British, French, and American ships.

Hi Eric'
    For me, as long as Rod makes model ships I'm O.K. But For alot of gamers I hope so I think there must at least be some Spanish ships to come. As for the rest Russian, Swedish or Dutch/Batavian fleets I can not see them comming out in the next year or two
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Rory I really like your rigging, have you used three different colours for the rig? Black for standing and two different threads for running or is that an artifact of the photos?
    Oh! Daniel,
    I'm sorry it's the photo. I only use only Polyester thread (see Vol's post on this thread#29). From the base of Bowsprit to the fighting top of the Main Mast I use a thicker black sewing thread. For the rest of the standing rigging I use a thinner black Embroidery thread. The running rigging again I use Embroidery thread but this time use light-brown/gold coloured thread. Running rigging is not tared like Standing rigging, but I think would get dirty. White/'cream I think would be to light and brown to dark, to like the Standing rigging. Unlike Vol I do not use the wax bit, but do dip the end of the thread in super glue to make it hard. so will go throu the holes and around the mains and sails easier. The I think the must have is Rod Langton's book on Painting & Rigging Napoleonic Ships (See David's post on this thread #30) Hope this helps?
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Rory, I know you're right about SoG. I imagine seeing other navies is years away. It would be great to see Spanish, Anglo-Dutch, Golden Age of Pirates, etc.

GMT has an expansion for Flying Colors that focuses on Russian and Swedish fleets. When that comes out, I will have a least something to scratch that itch.

Who knows, if my attempt at modeling doesn't result in my having a fleet of damaged and sinking ships, I might be able to build some fleets like you folks.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Who knows, if my attempt at modeling doesn't result in my having a fleet of damaged and sinking ships, I might be able to build some fleets like you folks.
    That's my spirit too!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Rory, I know you're right about SoG. I imagine seeing other navies is years away. It would be great to see Spanish, Anglo-Dutch, Golden Age of Pirates, etc.

GMT has an expansion for Flying Colors that focuses on Russian and Swedish fleets. When that comes out, I will have a least something to scratch that itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    That's my spirit too!
    Guy's,
    Have a go! You maybe have a step-up! You could start with a little painting or touching-up of the SOG models. Then try a little standing rigging, SOG ships are a little bigger, so easier to drill and work with. I think Langtons rat-line MAY fit SOG ships. If you add a line or two of paint and/or some thread. Not saying SOG ships are not good, but the add-ons make them your ships. You will then understand how I feel about my ships.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Already planning on it, Rory. I've already gotten a sense of ownership from reading posts here and on the 'Drome. Seeing what you folks do has inspired some of us to try our hand. For me, I will do so over the summer when I have more time.

I have a feeling my SoG ships will be modified.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Already planning on it, Rory. I've already gotten a sense of ownership from reading posts here and on the 'Drome. Seeing what you folks do has inspired some of us to try our hand. For me, I will do so over the summer when I have more time.

I have a feeling my SoG ships will be modified.
    Eric,
    If I can help, just call. Offer open to the end of the year. Can be extended by using the pass-word "Rory, can you help!"
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

I just want to say that these photos are amazing. I would love to see something that good in person one day. Maybe at a convention or a trade show.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Awesome harbor, awesome fleet. Your work is certainly inspiring. I will try some painting also, once we get the ship models. I'll probably pass on the rigging though. Eye and hand coordination are not what they used to be. ;)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Wow! Amazing work!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    Thanks for your kind words. I have a frigate that I'm rigging now. I will post photo of it when it's done. James, Vol got me into your blog. I you. I love your work. Thank you for likeing mine.
    Be safe
    Rory