View Poll Results: What do you want to see on game mats? Multiple choices can be made.

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plain blue water

28 25.23%
  • Different shades of blue water

77 69.37%
  • Islands

29 26.13%
  • Coastlines

33 29.73%
  • Ports/Towns

34 30.63%
  • Other

8 7.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you want to see on game mats?

Outside of looks, why a coastline? The edge of the board is basically a coastline and it doesn't take any space away from the ocean.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Coastlines that penetrate into the board create a variable edge, where the boards themselves will be square. The variation itself adds some tactical differences. Personally though I'd rather see open water mats and various coastal 'terrain' options since not all games will be played within that close range of land and when they are I'd rather it not be the same coast every time.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The more I think about mats, the more I desire plain water, possibly with different shades to represent different depths when desired. Given that the ships are on the same plane as the mats, any type of land mass will always affect game play. This is significantly different from the game mats for WoG where the airplanes are not flying at the same level as the ground, so whatever is on the ground need not impact gameplay. The only land mass I can think of that I might want is a river with land on both sides. Such a mat might require too much in terms of terrain tiles to do effectively, but without having seen such tiles, it is hard to judge.

I really hope the KS mats will be plain. I think that is the best way for Ares to start - most universal.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

I would think that a map that clearly represents open water would be best. I will be fairly easy to cut/build/make a scratch build coastlines if the terrain sets from the KS don't do the trick. I can always ADD additional detail if I want it, but I can never REMOVE a printed coastline on the map if I don't want it.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I'd like to see a paint scheme that matches the ocean artwork on the ship card that sits on the base.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

The listing hulks of the dashed foe. The flotsam of a once great empire. Driftwood with HMS partially visible over rotted wood (symbolic, eh?) Take your pick. I know I will!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks, Keith, for posting pics the SoG mat alongside the WoG coastal mat. I was wondering how they would look together. I think with WoG, it won't be much of a problem once the game begins. From my experience, after the first move folks are usually paying attention to maneuvers and aircraft position, so the mat differences would probably not be noticed that much. I can see this set up being used for BoB scenarios quite easily.

For BoB, Mediterranean and many costal Europe scenarios. :g&t:

Here is the Aerodrome thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...s-of-Glory-mat
    Last edited by Comte de Brueys; 09-15-2013 at 10:57.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Anything printed on a mat is there permanently. I agree that islands, coastlines, flotsam etc. need to be moveable so should be on overlays or models.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

I voted for everything except "Plain blue water". But, I must say, 2D (which was a good solution in WoG) is not as attractive as 3D in SoG. And if there would be coastline(s), they should be pretty thin, just enough to put some port on fort onto it.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

My belated 2 pence is:

"Here be Monsters!"

with suitable artwork reflecting antique maps of the "unknown deeps"

Just a question, a couple of buddies played some small skirmishes (1 ship each) and noted the current mat is barely large enough for 2 ships. If I am hoping to sail 4 ships per side, am I entering the realm of my own custom sized mat? (especially considering the scarcity of the official SoG mats…). Not trying to start a ruckus, I'm seriously asking for opinions - please remember I'm a newbie to this group AND any sort of online forum.

I think it is great the first round of SoG sold as fast as it did. Considering the KS campaign leading into it, I am very hopeful this game has its sea legs and will have endurance. I'm looking forward to wave 2 and can't wait for more American ships to appear, along with Spanish ships and (of course!) pirates!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey Folks,

I met a couple of guys who are making gaming mats.

If you were able to have a mat design to be printed on vinyl, what size and features would you desire?

I want to employ one large mat next year at Origins - something I can set up the first day and leave up for the convention, something in which I don't have to be concerned about smaller mats pulling away from each other and is also easier to transport than multiple smaller mats.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

A 4'x8' would work well for me, if I liked how it looked.

PS I prefer open sea mats showing small to medium waves. I would use my own 3D islands and shore lines.
    Last edited by Gunner; 10-13-2014 at 14:17.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Anyone think of using modern nautical charts? They show the depth as you get near the shore, where the sandbars. shallows and underwater obstructions are and all kinds of neat stuff. There are now nautical charts for any scale that you can print out on a map plotter. A 1:1000 chart of, say, Aboukir Bay would hog a mess of room but if you scale the chart to movement cards so the ships travel the right amount of distance per turn, the scale would probably be around 1:4000.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Odd for an avid collector of all the official releases, but this time I'm quite happy with my generic blue cloth, and just add the official extras when I need them, although Ken's idea of Nautical charts does appeal.
    Rob.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Rob, do you like the "wind" lines or just solid blue? At Origins, I used one of CappyTom's blue vinyl mats - no wind lines superimposed. I ran the wind straight down the center from one end to the other without any change during the game. Folks started eyeballing wind attitude fairly quickly. I do like the richness of the dark blue Ares mats, but unless I am playing a solo game at home, I do not know how much I will use them in the future.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have played on the mats with the wind lines, but don't find them any more useful than the indicator on its own with the aid of the octagonal attitude indicator, it is easy to align with the sides of an oblong table without needing lines, which detract from the aesthetic look of the game.
    Having said that I do have a sneaking admiration for that idea of using an old sea chart with a blue wash over it, and Sea Monsters in the corners, for Pirate games.
    Rob.

Like I mentioned before, I prefer open sea mats but, the wings of glory Coast mat butts up nicely to the SOG mats.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Maybe some coastlines with coastal batteries, some towns , ports, islands, stuff like that. maybe 3-d models to scale of course.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    Maybe some coastlines with coastal batteries, some towns , ports, islands, stuff like that. maybe 3-d models to scale of course.
    Playing in Neil's WGS session, Sue and I have renewed vigor to assemble 3-D items for SoG as well as WoG. We have been discussing some ideas. We have Andrzej's island from Origin's last year - beautiful, and Neil gave us his Taranto scenery. It definitely adds to the experience.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

As has been said earlier in this thread, I want to see brand new ship sculpts on my mats.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    I fully intend to produce my own coastline and Island batteries when I get my scenics for the Drome completed.
    They look so good in the AARs posted here.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I like the current game mats, its a pity they are rarer than rocking horse poo.