View Poll Results: From where do you hail?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • North America

132 58.67%
  • South America

3 1.33%
  • United Kingdom & Ireland

32 14.22%
  • Europe

46 20.44%
  • Austrailia & New Zealand

9 4.00%
  • Asia

3 1.33%
  • Africa

0 0%

Thread: What geographical Area are you from?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I live in the highlands of the Hudson River Valley -- about 90 miles north of New York City and 90 miles south of Albany, New York. The Iroquois name for the river translated as "the river that flows both ways" -- as it is a tidal river. Just south of where I live the river reaches its greatest width (3.5 miles) and greatest depth (175 feet). Near where I live the Hudson switches over from salt water to fresh water -- as such the valley is a bona fide fjord:
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/66611.html
    Love that area. Visited West Point last fall and you can see the strategic implications of that location. Fort Montgomery is also an interesting spot. I just finished reading "Revolution on the Hudson" by George Daugan about the impact of the Hudson and NY in the AWI. My favorite book on the Hudson is Simon "Island at the Center of the World" by Russell Shorto about the Dutch in Manhattan and the Hudson Valley.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Love that area. Visited West Point last fall and you can see the strategic implications of that location. Fort Montgomery is also an interesting spot. I just finished reading "Revolution on the Hudson" by George Daugan about the impact of the Hudson and NY in the AWI. My favorite book on the Hudson is Simon "Island at the Center of the World" by Russell Shorto about the Dutch in Manhattan and the Hudson Valley.
    It really is a lovely area in which to live. Glad you got to Fort Montgomery -- most folks miss it in their rush to get to West Point. If you come back, another interesting place to visit is the Stony Point battlefield a little further south. This is where General "Mad Anthony" Wayne had his men carry him at the head of the charge with sword raised after falling wounded while storming British positions.
    Name:  stony point battle.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  41.7 KB