ISBN:
    978-087021955
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    The full title is
    Seamanship in the age of Sail: An Account of the Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-of-War 1600-1860, Based on Contemporary Sources

Fascinating book on the down and dirty of how to sail and work a ship in the age of sail. Although technical in places there are numerous drawings to explain what is going on.

There is a lot to absorb here, I particularly enjoyed the explanation of how you work a large ship up a narrow navigable river as well as dealing with running aground and other naval calamities. Lots of explanations of archaic naval terms as well..if nothing else your scrabble skills will improve ; )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have just completed reading this book, if one can actually complete this book. Thanks to Dave Manley supplying me with a copy along with some other present which shall remain nameless, I am now more knowledgeable about things nautical, whilst at the same time realizing how little I really understand.
    This really is the bible on seamanship, and well worth dipping into on a regular basis.
    Rob.

Bumping this thread because this once hard to get an expensive book has been reprinted and is available on Amazon (US) for $38 !!

http://www.amazon.com/Seamanship-Age...S5TWVF30YXJTWK