Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey Bobby,

Here is the first round of research. I will do more later today, but this should get you started.

In October 1811, the North American Squadron consisted of:
    Flagship, 7 frigates, 8 sloops, gun-brig, 5 schooners
    Africa (60) Flagship
    Spartan (38)
    Shannon (38)
    Guerriere (38)
    Melampus (36)
    Belvidera (36)
    Acolus (32)
    Eurydice (24)
    Recruit (18)
    Halifax (18)
    Emulous (18)
    Atlante (18)
    Tartarus (20)
    Rattler (16)
    Goree (18)
    Colibri (16)
    Plumper (12) - gun-brig
    Paz (12)
    Juniper (4)
    Bream (4)
    Chubb (4)
    Cuttle (4)

Recorded in Sawyer to Croker, 6 Oct. 1811, Public Record Office (PRO), Admiral's Dispatched ADM1/501 fol. 217.

I requested another copy of the book from a different university, so I will have access to the material beyond this Friday if you think of more questions.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 02-27-2013 at 10:37.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hey Bobby,

Here is the first round of research. I will do more later today, but this should get you started.

In October 1811, the North American Squadron consisted of:
    Flagship, 7 frigates, 8 sloops, gun-brig, 5 schooners
    Africa (60) Flagship
    Spartan (38)
    Shannon (38)
    Guerriere (38)
    Melampus (36)
    Belvidera (36)
    Acolus (32)
    Eurydice (24)
    Recruit (18)
    Halifax (18)
    Emulous (18)
    Atlante (18)
    Tartarus (20)
    Rattler (16)
    Goree (18)
    Colibri (16)
    Plumper (12) - gun-brig
    Paz (12)
    Juniper (4)
    Bream (4)
    Chubb (4)
    Cuttle (4)

Recorded in Sawyer to Croker, 6 Oct. 1811, Public Record Office (PRO), Admiral's Dispatched ADM1/501 fol. 217.

I requested another copy of the book from a different university, so I will have access to the material beyond this Friday if you think of more questions.
    So where are our other frigates in this list? Is this only the squadron that was on the Halifax station?

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    So where are our other frigates in this list? Is this only the squadron that was on the Halifax station?
    Are you asking about American frigates? The ones we are discussing are British. Halifax was the North American port for the British Navy. American warships operated out of a variety of U. S. ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Are you asking about American frigates? The ones we are discussing are British. Halifax was the North American port for the British Navy. American warships operated out of a variety of U. S. ports.
    Actually I meant the other RN ships, not just frigates, that were in America 1812-1814. HMS Hunter, Schooner Nancy 6, HMS Tecumseh, HMS St. Lawrence 112, HMS Prince Regent, HMS Wolfe, sloop HMS Detroit, HMS frigate Caledonia, HMS Endymion 40, HMS Java, HMS Cyane 32, HMS Levant 24, HMS Phoebe, HMS Pelican.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Actually I meant the other RN ships, not just frigates, that were in America 1812-1814. HMS Hunter, Schooner Nancy 6, HMS Tecumseh, HMS St. Lawrence 112, HMS Prince Regent, HMS Wolfe, sloop HMS Detroit, HMS frigate Caledonia, HMS Endymion 40, HMS Java, HMS Cyane 32, HMS Levant 24, HMS Phoebe, HMS Pelican.
    I was just looking for ships at the beginning of the war when the U. S. Navy could come and go as they pleased. Later there were just to many British ships, with a fair number of 74's, blockading American ports for a campaign along the North American coast.