View Poll Results: Which age-of-sail traditional war-games do your prefer to play?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wooden Ships and Iron Men

28 50.91%
  • Close Action

7 12.73%
  • Flying Colors

9 16.36%
  • Frigate (SPI)

2 3.64%
  • Other

14 25.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which is your favorite age-of-sail traditional war-game?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Which age-of-sail traditional war-games do you prefer? Can choose more than one.

By traditional, I mean hex-based maps and cardboard chit-style pieces.

You can choose multiple selections.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 02-23-2013 at 09:37.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

wooden ships, of course.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I would have said WSIM up until a few years ago when I went on to CA. Similar games (CA was initially designed to fix the errors in WSIM, after all) and both a lot of fun. I still play WSIM, I just find CA a more satisfying experience now.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I must admit that I am impressed with the development in game mechanics and component aesthetics from the WS&IM era to the more contemporary games such as Flying Colors. Before I became aware of the newer games, I bought many AH and SPI games that I used to own on ebay. Though I still enjoy the older games, the newer ones are edging them out. However, I will never stop playing Third Reich; sometimes lines have to be drawn.

Wooden Ships and Iron Men back in the early 80's. Haven't play age of sail naval since. Lots of Napoleonics, but land only.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    Wooden Ships and Iron Men back in the early 80's. Haven't play age of sail naval since. Lots of Napoleonics, but land only.
    Minis or traditional hex and chit? I enjoyed Wellington's Victory and AH's Waterloo back in distant times. Picked up Wellington's Victory again not too long ago on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Minis or traditional hex and chit? I enjoyed Wellington's Victory and AH's Waterloo back in distant times. Picked up Wellington's Victory again not too long ago on ebay.
    Traditional cardboard counter and hex. Back in the 80's we played Harpoon and Modern Micro-Armor with mini's and Mustangs and Messerschmitts with 1/72 scale models, ah yes Star Fleet Battles. Other than that, didn't get into Napoleonics, ACW, WWII Naval until way later (90's).

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

I voted other because having tried several rules, I keep going back to Heart of Oak miniatures rules. Dont know why, they just to me feel right?? How can something feel right if you never have experienced it. So maybe I just like playing them, yeah thats it, I like playing them :-)

Now I cant wait to play these Sails of Glory, looking very forward to it being released now that the KS is in full swing!

I have a soft spot for Frigate (elegant simplicity and a bit of nostalgia), Wooden Ships and Iron Men (great map design and scenario set) and Flying Colours (nicely developed set of rules including command with large scenario set and terrifict production values)

I run a home brew that is a mesh of two systems. The movement system is pretty much the "Heart of Oak" rules. The Combat system is mostly "Signal Close Action". I converted it to a D10 and then added a few elements of Heart of Oak to it. All the rules in 12 point font with section breaks in larger font fits on 4 pages. Each player gets a two page hand-out that has the sail setting/wind direction diagrams on one page and all the charts they could need on the second page.

Able Seaman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Don

Only played age of sail games when organised by other people, no idea what the rules where though.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kelly

Wizkids Pirates! :)

At the moment only sea battles in the games Empire - Total War & Napoleon - Total War.;)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I have never owned or played any other age of sail game, so I'll have nothing to compare SoG to, but from what has been revealled, SoG looks like a very easy yet detailed, fast moving game. I owned the original Axis and Allies "Victory in the Pacific" board game as a teen, and the rulebook alone was a discouragemant let alone the time it took to first set up the game, then to play it through.

It was WS&IM using 1/1200 ships and inches and degrees instead of hexes.
    Now it's flying colors.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yup WS&IM for me, one of the best, in my opinion, sea games
    I have

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenji

Wooden Ships and Iron Men for me too!

Other than WS&IM the only other naval wargame that I played was AH's WW2 Midway. I loved the suspend of trying to find your opponent's carriers and launching a fatal strike before the same thing happened to you.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Kenji, if you have the opportunity, I encourage you to try the Flying Colors series - not as a replacement to WS&IM, but as a complementary game. One nice thing about it is that GMT is still producing expansions, and hopefully will continue doing so. One is due out any time now.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Kenji, if you have the opportunity, I encourage you to try the Flying Colors series - not as a replacement to WS&IM, but as a complementary game. One nice thing about it is that GMT is still producing expansions, and hopefully will continue doing so. One is due out any time now.
    They're adding Russian, Swede and Turkish navies this November

PS I hope Ares follows suit.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzen View Post
    Wizkids Pirates! :)
    My condolences... I too used to play it, it started out really cool and then devolved to Powergame Munchkinry--and if you didn't attend every Con and win every tourney to snag the LE's and Exclusives you were up the creek with no paddle in any format other than Sealed.

Axis & Allies War at Sea had its Munchkin Hell moments too, but it was a game that had many good points too and died a premature death.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    My condolences... I too used to play it, it started out really cool and then devolved to Powergame Munchkinry--and if you didn't attend every Con and win every tourney to snag the LE's and Exclusives you were up the creek with no paddle in any format other than Sealed.

Axis & Allies War at Sea had its Munchkin Hell moments too, but it was a game that had many good points too and died a premature death.
    This is why I am *VIOLENTLY* opposed to any policy which allows "Real World" advantages beyond "being a better player" to come to the gaming table -- the inevitable result is "power decks" and "Mr. Suitcase".

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

HEY! I WAS Mr. Suitcase for WAS... but everything was available from boosters, and even the Organized Play prizes when WOTC was doing that only differed from drawn-from-booster in having special paint jobs.

Besides, my Duffel Bag Armada let me loan ships to people who'd forgotten their own...

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

Man O'War, by Simulations Canada.

Instead of WS&IM, I'd be inclined to play Ship of the Line (Juggernaut, 1976-81) with SoG ships, on a square grid.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Frigate, by SPI
    Fighting Sail, by SPI
    Also would be interested to get Serpents of the Seas, the smaller scale standalone game in the Flying Colors series, by GMT.
    I also have and love Tokyo Express, by Victory Games -- while it's a WWII solitaire game, it's AI system is amazing and inspired a lot of what I'm designing into my solitaire Great Lakes game, A Glorious Chance.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

You're also designing a Great Lakes game? I'd love to compare notes some time....

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I always enjoyed Close Action, but after picking up Flying Colors they have taken over the Number One position, at least till something else comes along!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

What I like about Flying Colors is, it gives me an excuse to buy many SOG ships.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

Just snagged a copy, as well as 1805. Couldn't find the Flying Colors expansion, or Serpents of the Seas; I'm especially interested in the latter. We'll see how 1805 stacks up as a SoG campaign system....

Amazon has one listed under GMT Serpents of the Seas, but they want $65 for it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I voted other but as it is 40 years since I played I cant remember the name except that it was a "Table Top Games" home produced rule book.
    Bligh.

By traditional, I mean hex-based maps and cardboard chit-style pieces.
    That's hardly what I'd deem traditional...! That's a BOARDgame not a WARgame...! Can't be a wargame without miniatures!

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    That's hardly what I'd deem traditional...! That's a BOARDgame not a WARgame...! Can't be a wargame without miniatures!
    Deem it or not, the only difference is one is cardboard as a rule and the other is plastic, metal, wood etc. Both are war games.

Example: WS&IM chits can be replaced by ships. Hexes can be replaced by angles and inches. Same game.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I run a home brew that is a mesh of two systems. The movement system is pretty much the "Heart of Oak" rules. The Combat system is mostly "Signal Close Action". I converted it to a D10 and then added a few elements of Heart of Oak to it. All the rules in 12 point font with section breaks in larger font fits on 4 pages. Each player gets a two page hand-out that has the sail setting/wind direction diagrams on one page and all the charts they could need on the second page.
    I would love to get a copy if possible!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly the niceties. Welcome to the Anchorage J. Then a bit of info for you. Unfortunately Andy has not posted since 2016 so you may have trouble contacting him. You might try a PM just in case he is still picking up.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Zythe View Post
    I would love to get a copy if possible!
    First off to jump on this thread 5 years later.

The Flying Colors deluxe edition that GMT released this year is superb. Its built purely for manageable fleet actions, and allows players to genuinely enjoy something like Trafalgar without getting bogged down with book keeping.

To respond to you specifically Zythe. I posted in another subforum here about Post Captain. The designers have played it all. Heart of Oak, WSIM, Close Action, Fighting Sails, and much more. They also reference a rich biography of source material. It is bar none the best wargame ive played, regardless of genre or setting. Incredible historical fidelity, laser focus on good seamanship, easy to manage book keeping. Its focused on small or single ship actions, and is a surprisingly easy system to learn, and just flows once you get started. I find it more realistic then WSIM and Close Action, while somehow also being significantly less complicated.