View Poll Results: Which age-of-sail traditional war-games do your prefer to play?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wooden Ships and Iron Men

28 50.91%
  • Close Action

7 12.73%
  • Flying Colors

9 16.36%
  • Frigate (SPI)

2 3.64%
  • Other

14 25.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which is your favorite age-of-sail traditional war-game?

Hybrid View

I have a soft spot for Frigate (elegant simplicity and a bit of nostalgia), Wooden Ships and Iron Men (great map design and scenario set) and Flying Colours (nicely developed set of rules including command with large scenario set and terrifict production values)

I run a home brew that is a mesh of two systems. The movement system is pretty much the "Heart of Oak" rules. The Combat system is mostly "Signal Close Action". I converted it to a D10 and then added a few elements of Heart of Oak to it. All the rules in 12 point font with section breaks in larger font fits on 4 pages. Each player gets a two page hand-out that has the sail setting/wind direction diagrams on one page and all the charts they could need on the second page.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I run a home brew that is a mesh of two systems. The movement system is pretty much the "Heart of Oak" rules. The Combat system is mostly "Signal Close Action". I converted it to a D10 and then added a few elements of Heart of Oak to it. All the rules in 12 point font with section breaks in larger font fits on 4 pages. Each player gets a two page hand-out that has the sail setting/wind direction diagrams on one page and all the charts they could need on the second page.
    I would love to get a copy if possible!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly the niceties. Welcome to the Anchorage J. Then a bit of info for you. Unfortunately Andy has not posted since 2016 so you may have trouble contacting him. You might try a PM just in case he is still picking up.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Zythe View Post
    I would love to get a copy if possible!
    First off to jump on this thread 5 years later.

The Flying Colors deluxe edition that GMT released this year is superb. Its built purely for manageable fleet actions, and allows players to genuinely enjoy something like Trafalgar without getting bogged down with book keeping.

To respond to you specifically Zythe. I posted in another subforum here about Post Captain. The designers have played it all. Heart of Oak, WSIM, Close Action, Fighting Sails, and much more. They also reference a rich biography of source material. It is bar none the best wargame ive played, regardless of genre or setting. Incredible historical fidelity, laser focus on good seamanship, easy to manage book keeping. Its focused on small or single ship actions, and is a surprisingly easy system to learn, and just flows once you get started. I find it more realistic then WSIM and Close Action, while somehow also being significantly less complicated.