View Poll Results: Which is your favorite naval book series?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hornblower

26 23.85%
  • Aubrey/Maturin

61 55.96%
  • Bolitho

14 12.84%
  • Alan Lewrie

3 2.75%
  • Kydd

0 0%
  • Other

5 4.59%

Thread: Poll: Which is your favorite naval book series?

Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

A few of you mentioned the Sharpe series, so I have kept an eye open for them. The other day, I looked at the books for sale at our local library, and found four of the series, brand new, for a buck apiece. Fortunately, I have the first three of the chronological order. Something fun to read in the new year.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    A few of you mentioned the Sharpe series, so I have kept an eye open for them. The other day, I looked at the books for sale at our local library, and found four of the series, brand new, for a buck apiece. Fortunately, I have the first three of the chronological order. Something fun to read in the new year.
    Nice score Eric.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Nice score Eric.
    There is a section in the library that has an ongoing book sale. PB for $1 and HB for $3. Not only can you find good deals, but support the library at the same time. I have picked up quite a few good titles during the past few months. Recently, someone must have cleared out part of his/her ACW library; ironically, the exact same titles were added to my own. Hmmm.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

There is a section in the library that has an ongoing book sale. PB for $1 and HB for $3. Not only can you find good deals, but support the library at the same time. I have picked up quite a few good titles during the past few months. Recently, someone must have cleared out part of his/her ACW library; ironically, the exact same titles were added to my own. Hmmm.
    Good for everyone all around. I have to keep my book buying in check these days. Both space and budget are considerations for me. I could easily spend a lifetime in used bookstores, libraries, reading rooms. Once on a roadtrip my wife and I discovered a little book seller in Coos Bay Oregon that had a great selection, cozy parlor and fishbowl sized coffee cups. I didn't want to leave.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Good for everyone all around. I have to keep my book buying in check these days. Both space and budget are considerations for me. I could easily spend a lifetime in used bookstores, libraries, reading rooms. Once on a roadtrip my wife and I discovered a little book seller in Coos Bay Oregon that had a great selection, cozy parlor and fishbowl sized coffee cups. I didn't want to leave.
    I know what you mean, especially about space. It's hard to resist, though, $0.01 amazon prices and library sales. It doesn't help with folks posting so many good reads.

If you're ever in Chicago, I would very much like to show you around, including a couple of great used bookstores - just a little indulgence.

Unfortunately, I fear used bookstores will become more scarce, especially ones with spaces like you described. As much as I appreciate technological advancement, I enjoy holding an actual book.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I know what you mean, especially about space. It's hard to resist, though, $0.01 amazon prices and library sales. It doesn't help with folks posting so many good reads.

If you're ever in Chicago, I would very much like to show you around, including a couple of great used bookstores - just a little indulgence.

Unfortunately, I fear used bookstores will become more scarce, especially ones with spaces like you described. As much as I appreciate technological advancement, I enjoy holding an actual book.
    Especially when you discover a period of time that appeals to you which you hadn't previously looked at very closely. I have been indulging in online book buying, as you say it is hard to resist, like a control study animal in a cage with a gratification button.

I'm not sure I have enough vacation time saved up to be able to take you up on your invitation as pleasant as it sounds.

I agree that small booksellers are fading fast like many other niche stores like hobby/game shops, drugstores, etc...

Like the end of the age of sail we are witnessing a charge in times whose course and outcomes are unknown to us. Going back to the way it was is not an option.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Once on a roadtrip my wife and I discovered a little book seller in Coos Bay Oregon that had a great selection, cozy parlor and fishbowl sized coffee cups. I didn't want to leave.
    A comfy used bookstore in Oregon? I didn't know such existed up here.

[WARNING! TOXIC LEVELS OF SARCASM DETECTED! EVACUATE THREAD IMMEDIATELY!]

:)

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    A comfy used bookstore in Oregon? I didn't know such existed up here.

[WARNING! TOXIC LEVELS OF SARCASM DETECTED! EVACUATE THREAD IMMEDIATELY!]

:)
    At the Starbucks Coffee gear store at the headquarters store in Seattle where they experiment with non perishable items to sell in their coffee shops,
    it is rumored that they have introduced a small line of books.

They are calling it:
    The circle of life...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    They are calling it:
    The circle of life...
    <- hums a few bars of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" >;)