View Poll Results: Which is your favorite naval book series?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hornblower

26 23.85%
  • Aubrey/Maturin

61 55.96%
  • Bolitho

14 12.84%
  • Alan Lewrie

3 2.75%
  • Kydd

0 0%
  • Other

5 4.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which is your favorite naval book series?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Poll: Which is your favorite naval book series?

Which is your favorite naval book series?

My favorite fiction series is Privateers and Gentlemen by Jon Williams. The first book is set during the American War of Independence and the following four during the War of 1812.

I like the Dewey Lambdin books with Alan Lewrie as the rakish main character. I have also read two of Sean Thomas Russels books about his hero Charles Hayden which I liked a lot. Both authors cover real historical events in great detail in their books maiking them especially interesting. And of course I do like Patrick O'Brien but sometimes they drag and don't contain enough real historical events. They do give a real flavor of the times though. Forrester was just a little too pulpy for my taste, though I read them all.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Has anyone ever read this series? I don't quite know what to make of it.

The Temeraire series of novels by Naomi Novik is composed of His Majesty's Dragon (released as Temeraire in the United Kingdom), Throne of Jade, Black Powder War, Empire of Ivory, Victory of Eagles, and Tongues of Serpents. The novels are works of both fantasy and alternate history: they are "a reimagining of the epic events of the Napoleonic Wars with an air force — an air force of dragons, manned by crews of aviators". (From wikipedia)

Able Seaman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Don

I've only read the Hornblower series haven't heard of any of the others

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I voted for Bolitho. that said the Ramage series is excellent too. Heck, they are all good!

I read the first Temeraire book His Majesty's Dragon a while back. It was ok, but I was just getting into the Aubrey / Maturan series and never picked up the next book in the series. What did you think of them Eric?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I never heard of them before. I imagine they are definitely a different type of read from the other series - basically fun on a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I read the first Temeraire book His Majesty's Dragon a while back. It was ok, but I was just getting into the Aubrey / Maturan series and never picked up the next book in the series. What did you think of them Eric?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

This is one of the reasons I started this poll - to be introduced to new series. Ramage is now on my "to get" list along with Privateers and Gentlemen and the Hayden series.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I voted for Bolitho. that said the Ramage series is excellent too. Heck, they are all good!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    I've only read the Hornblower series haven't heard of any of the others
    Would I assume correctly that you watched the Hornblower series as well? I thought they were excellent.

Absolutely Eric. They are excellent. I also have the original Gregory Peck movie, Billy Budd, and of course Master and Commander. I really wish someone would produce some more of them.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Hi,
    for me Aubrey/maturin please.....
    Greeting Jack

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Is anyone familiar with the Nathaniel Drinkwater series?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the Nathaniel Drinkwater series?
    I can't recall the series. I found this link listing the books of the series and the titles look interesting. Also they look fairly inexpensive on eBay. I'll have to get one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Drinkwater

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

No Sir, but I will try it at the next one

I just bought 6 of the Alexander Kent's Bolitho Series at a used bookstore yesterday.

Horatio Hornblower is my favourite.

I guess by my handle, obviously Horatio Hornblower is my favorite. The Jack Aubrey books are excellent also. I envision Hornblower as the Richard Sharpe of the sea. I like the way C.S. Forester starts the character as a Midshipman and takes you all the way through his long and sometimes inactive career.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I have to go with the Aubrey/Maturin series. There the only ones i've read any of.

I've read the Bolitho, Hornblower, Aubrey/Martin, Novak (some), Dudley Pope and a couple of the Kydd series. Novak's is just fantasy in an historical setting, I got through two of them and gave up not because they were bad but rather they didn't meet my interest. Hornblower novels are classics and as such are written in a style that is a little dated but still excellent, Bolitho (by Alexander Kent which I think is a pseudonym of Douglas Reeman?) were favorites when I was younger but probably went belong their design life! Aubrey/Martin novels are great literature, highly detailed but can be slow at times nevertheless I think they give an excellent feel for the period.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hornblower for me.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Other: Conways's nonfiction Anatomy of the Ship series, rivaled by their All The World's Fighting Ships and MJ Whitley's _____ of World War II encyclopedias. I'm more interested in the structures and engineering end, though, particularly what influences went into each new design and what was a copy or evolution of what.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I can't recall the series. I found this link listing the books of the series and the titles look interesting. Also they look fairly inexpensive on eBay. I'll have to get one.
    I just picked these up on amazon in five omnibus editions - extremely inexpensive this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Other: Conways's nonfiction Anatomy of the Ship series, rivaled by their All The World's Fighting Ships and MJ Whitley's _____ of World War II encyclopedias. I'm more interested in the structures and engineering end, though, particularly what influences went into each new design and what was a copy or evolution of what.
    Just looked up the Anatomy of the Ship series on amazon. Looks good, though some of the reviews on the Constitution were a bit disappointing. If you have the one on the Constitution, I would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Aubrey/Maturin... I'm on book 10.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I read the Hornblower books when I was young. I then discoverd Bolitho and Ramage and latterly the Aubrey/ Maturin Chronicles. I am not sure that it is fair to compare Hornblower with Richard Sharpe because Hornblower never was the 'rough diamond' that Sharpe was. If all the fictional characters had been real, then the French and Spanish navies would have been sunk or captured several times over.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Interesting to see folks takes on it. I voted Aubrey/Maturin, as that's the one that sinks me into the period the most successfully. Hornblower is a close second - it's more action/adventure-ish to me, but was my first exposure, and I have a great love for it. I think I tried one Ramage, and didn't care for it - and at some point (fairly or not) got it stuck in my head that Ramage/Bolitho etc. were poor seconds, not worth pursuing. I also dipped my toe in one series on a privateer in the American Revolution, but cannot recall which author that was.

I have devoured the whole of the Sharpe series, which I do feel is more in the same ballpark with Hornblower.

As for the Temeraire series, I got sucked into them. I am separately a fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. My view is that Naomi Novik is a good, but not astounding writer. If they were just fantasy, I have other, better reviewed series competing for my attention. If they were just historical fiction, I suspect I'd prefer one of the other authors already below my cut off line.

But, like Peanut Butter and Chocolate, somehow the combination of Age of Sail and Fantasy just worked for me, becoming better than the sum of it's parts. I've picked up and read all the books she's released to date, and plan to continue doing so.

I'd put out one non-series book as recommended: Doctor Dogbody's Leg by James Norman Hall (yes, one of the co-authors of Mutiny on the Bounty). Absolutely hilarious book wherein the titular character regales the denizens of his local pub about how he lost his larboard leg - about 10 times, in 10 different short stories. Apparently out of print, but was reprinted in 1998 as part of the Heart of Oak Sea Classics series.

Oh, and my father loved Hornblower, but especially the O'Brian series. He would continually re-read them - starting over as he finished them - he must have read them about five or six times, at least.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just looked up the Anatomy of the Ship series on amazon. Looks good, though some of the reviews on the Constitution were a bit disappointing. If you have the one on the Constitution, I would appreciate hearing your opinion.
    Do not have that one--but the one on Victory is superb, and the one on Bellona was a HUGE help on sorting out Slade's 74's--if McKay is comfortable with calling Culloden at 1' greater each length and beam a "near sister" to Bellona, then I'm comfortable using it as a reprint, and I wish all their other authors would go as in-depth about design and engineering, and especially related designs, as he does.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Haven't read any naval series, but I'm glad to take all the advice and educate myself with them.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is my favorite so far. Has anyone read anything from the Kydd series?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Choosing just one is too difficult. All of the above should also be an option in this poll.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dan

I've enjoyed all that have been mentioned (with the notable exception of the Aubrey/Maturin series), but there's a special place in my heart for the rakehell Alan Lewrie

Never read anything on Alan Lewrie. Thought I'd see if I liked it, so I just ordered The Kings Coat.

Hey Ed
    I have just about finished my first novel of Alan Lewrie the one you have just ordered. I feel pretty confident you will enjoy it, more accessible than Aubrey, more modern than Hornblower, better written than Bolitho and a lot of fun to read. I will be getting more in the series soon!
    Last edited by Berthier; 06-12-2013 at 05:43.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by berlichtingen View Post
    I've enjoyed all that have been mentioned (with the notable exception of the Aubrey/Maturin series), but there's a special place in my heart for the rakehell Alan Lewrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Never read anything on Alan Lewrie. Thought I'd see if I liked it, so I just ordered The Kings Coat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Hey Ed
    I have just about finished my first novel of Alan Lewrie the one you have just ordered. I feel pretty confident you will enjoy it, more accessible than Aubrey, more modern than Hornblower, better written than Bolitho and a lot of fun to read. I will be getting more in the series soon!
    I'll be looking into getting these as well. Thank you all for the recommendations.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dan

Alan Lewrie is a bit Hornblower, and a bit Flashman

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Haven't read any naval series, but I'm glad to take all the advice and educate myself with them.
    Exactly my case.

But already bought the hornblower series for my kindle.

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Hey Ed
    Berthier,

From the Amazon website I got the impression that "The King's Commission: An Alan Lewrie Naval Adventure (Alan Lewrie Naval Adventures)" was the first book in the series. Have you read it ?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey Ed
    That is high praise. Another series to get.

On a side note, Bob (BBSuds) and I were walking around at Origins this past week, and Ioan Gruffudd, the actor who played Hornblower in the A&E series, walked past us. We both thought he looked taller onscreen.

Hi Carlos , that is the 3rd book in the series, the first is THe King's Coat. This is the list in order

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/dewe...ewrie~9664.htm

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Hi Carlos , that is the 3rd book in the series, the first is THe King's Coat. This is the list in order

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/dewe...ewrie~9664.htm
    Thanks for the clarification Berthier

Then I can start the series in the right place. 20 books !!! For me it is a treasure, as I have the need for many books starting in july

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Berthier

Then I can start the series in the right place. 20 books !!! For me it is a treasure, as I have the need for many books starting in july
    Why July Carlos?

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Why July Carlos?
    I will be sent to the middle of the Amazon Forest, for at least four months.

The base there don't have telephones or internet, just radios. And the nearer internet conection point is a 4 hour trip, so, many, many books in my kindle is a must.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Here's wishing you a safe time Carlos.

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Here's wishing you a safe time Carlos.
    Thank you.

I will be in contact with every kind of insect, that byte, sting and burn, not counting drug dealers in the indian territory. Oh and snakes and jaguars, too, among many beatiful birds.

But I have a good dependable team, this follow on trip should not be difficult, we already busted the more dangerous gangs earlier this year.
    Last edited by calm; 06-17-2013 at 08:31. Reason: Minot typo

Sounds more like a mission than a trip. Can you mention the reason for the trip?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I understand now. Wow, 4 months at a remote post in the sweltering jungle. Good luck with that. Too bad you don't have a copy of SOG to bring with you.

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Sounds more like a mission than a trip. Can you mention the reason for the trip?
    No problem, it is not a secret.

Dismantle drug dealing gangs in the central region of the Amazon Forest, and get non-indian out of indian territory. As a note, I don't like dealing with indians, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    I understand now. Wow, 4 months at a remote post in the sweltering jungle. Good luck with that. Too bad you don't have a copy of SOG to bring with you.
    No way to get anything more than my laptop, kindle and some clothes there, I could trade some ammo or food space for a game, but I don't think this would be wise

But aside from staying away from family (She who sees all, included) it is not that bad. It is just that I am getting old for this kind of work

I tend to think of it like an adventure

And as I missed the KS Project, I already arranged the SoG to be shipped to my friends house in my absence

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

A five foot "tall" snake.

Name:  P1220026-Jiboia.JPG
Views: 866
Size:  2.48 MB

Not a venomous one, but lots of bacteria in its mouth, so, no playing with it

I have now read 3 of the 6 Bolitho books that I bought and I am sorry to say that, while I liked them alright, they just don't hold a candle to the Charles Hayden and Alan Lewrie novels.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    A five foot "tall" snake.
    We call that soup-starter.