Interesting to see folks takes on it. I voted Aubrey/Maturin, as that's the one that sinks me into the period the most successfully. Hornblower is a close second - it's more action/adventure-ish to me, but was my first exposure, and I have a great love for it. I think I tried one Ramage, and didn't care for it - and at some point (fairly or not) got it stuck in my head that Ramage/Bolitho etc. were poor seconds, not worth pursuing. I also dipped my toe in one series on a privateer in the American Revolution, but cannot recall which author that was.

I have devoured the whole of the Sharpe series, which I do feel is more in the same ballpark with Hornblower.

As for the Temeraire series, I got sucked into them. I am separately a fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. My view is that Naomi Novik is a good, but not astounding writer. If they were just fantasy, I have other, better reviewed series competing for my attention. If they were just historical fiction, I suspect I'd prefer one of the other authors already below my cut off line.

But, like Peanut Butter and Chocolate, somehow the combination of Age of Sail and Fantasy just worked for me, becoming better than the sum of it's parts. I've picked up and read all the books she's released to date, and plan to continue doing so.

I'd put out one non-series book as recommended: Doctor Dogbody's Leg by James Norman Hall (yes, one of the co-authors of Mutiny on the Bounty). Absolutely hilarious book wherein the titular character regales the denizens of his local pub about how he lost his larboard leg - about 10 times, in 10 different short stories. Apparently out of print, but was reprinted in 1998 as part of the Heart of Oak Sea Classics series.

Oh, and my father loved Hornblower, but especially the O'Brian series. He would continually re-read them - starting over as he finished them - he must have read them about five or six times, at least.