Thread: Captain Zap on the bridge!

Landsman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Olivier

Default Captain Zap on the bridge!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

Since I was 3 years old, I have been playing with model kits. My father, a former model maker, had given me small plastic cyclists that he had painted himself (and which have since been lost), followed by a wooden Western fort. Then came Playmobil, and finally my first plastic GIs, Napoleonic soldiers, and model kits around the age of 10. And the need to create game rules, essential for turning display pieces into useful objects...

Since then, my collection has grown considerably with all types of figurines, game rules, scales, and periods. I make my own scenery and now most of my figurines, largely using my FDM and resin printers.

I am drawn to both gaming, modeling, and history, I'm not sure in which order, to be honest.

Regarding Napoleonic naval gaming, I played a lot of Sails of Glory when it first came out, then sought a simpler and faster rule set, especially for larger engagements. But ultimately, with my group of players and our association "Ligue des Guerriers Pictaves" (Poitiers France), we are returning to our first loves, realizing that the Sails Of Glory rule set is actually a good compromise between playability and realism.

Looking forward to reading from you.

Zap

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good morning Olivier. Good to have you alongside shipmate. Your interest seems pretty on par with my own, save for the instigator and model maker was my Grandfather and I had Swappets, rather earlier in history than the Playmobil ones. The rest is as you say History!

I expect you will soon find here what we have done to help play the really big games. At our Doncaster meet in September of each year we have in the past put on Trafalgar, the Nile and, last year Copenhagen.
    I hope you will find the site useful.
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 342266c733c2e24cddf65db948c91203.jpg  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Olivier

Thank you Rob.
    I would rather bet on the willing foe than on the fair wind, for it's through challenges that we truly grow. And then plan for the worst and hope for the best.