Thread: Tim Honier and Monse fifth battle

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Default Tim Honier and Monse fifth battle

Fifth clash between Tim Honier and Monse.
    Advanced rules: deployment and reduction of sail, close-range musketry fire, limitation of crew actions, special damage and delayed repairs.

Tim Honier leads the French ships: frigate Courageuse (34 guns), ship of the line Bertin (56 guns).
    Monse commands the English ships: frigate HMS Terpsichore (34 guns), ship of the line HMS Polyphemus (64 guns).
    Northwest wind.

1. The French frigate begins with a daring maneuver, passing just behind her flagship.
    2. The French ship of the line maneuvers cunningly and inflicts a leak on the English frigate.

3. The English can only fire from their bow or stern: the French ship of the line is dismasted, and the English ship of the line is hit by the French frigate, which suffers a few points of damage.
    4. The French ship of the line perfectly anticipates the maneuvers of her adversaries and inflicts an enfilade fire on the English: after the water, fire on board!

5. The English ship of the line compensates with the next maneuver, but her long-range shot lacks power.
    6. At the center of the action, the French ship of the line fires at her English counterpart, but receives the English frigate's cannonballs.

7. This time, the French ship of the line fires on the English frigate (fire on board) and receives a distant but effective shot from the English ship of the line.
    8. Having rounded the island, the French frigate inflicts further damage on the English frigate, which retaliates ineffectively from both sides.

9. Deadly gunfire between the English ship of the line and the French frigate, which exchanges musket fire with the English frigate, which itself is dismasted by the French ship of the line.
    10. The French frigate blocks the English ship and destroys her for good.

11. The French frigate inflicts further damage on the French ship-of-the-line, which retaliates weakly.
    12. Two maneuvers later, the English ship of the line misses.

13. Taking advantage of the headwind, the English ship-of-the-line damages the deck and a mast of the French ship-of-the-line.
    14. A second maneuver with a headwind allows the English ship of the line to fire from the opposite side and inflict a leak on the French ship of the line, which sinks her on the following turn.

Result: both ships heavily damaged, the English liner and the French frigate decide to return to their respective ports.
    Interesting management of special damage (waterway, fire, broken mast), as well as repairs and compensation (pump, extinguishing, carpenter).
    Last edited by Monse Haillon; 02-08-2024 at 02:37.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Good to see another Indiaman out and about! Yours packed more of a punch than mine, yours being outfitted to fight in a line and mine being just a hefty cargoship.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another nice little action Simon.
    You two certainly like a bloody conflict.
    I now wonder what your boarding actions will be like.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also keep acount of your AARs Simon. When you get to 10 let me know.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Good to see some more sailing action on the forum. Well done you two.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Monse your reports are getting better and better. Canon fire symbols and sailing direction cards make it easy to follow the action.

I thought Tim must be getting very excited when I read
    11. The French frigate inflicts further damage on the French ship-of-the-line, which retaliates weakly.
    Fancy firing on his own ships, was that to give you a better chance in the game. it was a very sporting thing for him to do.
    Hope to see more soon.
    Cheers