Thread: Tim Honier and Monse second battle

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Default Tim Honier and Monse second battle

Second confrontation
    Use of the advanced rules : change of sails size - musketry fire when the ships are nearby.

Tim Honier commanded the French ships: ship of the line Montagne (118 guns), frigate Courageuse (34 guns).
    Monse commanded the English ships: ship of the line HMS Defence (74 guns), frigate HMS Swan (14 guns).

1. Face-off begins. French grouped, English separated.
    2. Ships of the line aim at each other at short range, frigates board each other with musketry, but no artillery fire possible for the English frigate.

3. New musketry fire between frigates and rear enfilade fire suffered by the French.
    4. Destructive fire between ships of the line. The English frigate suffers considerable damage, without being able to retaliate against the French frigate.

5. The French ship-of-the-line prefers to fire on the large English ship rather than on the already heavily damaged frigate, which effectively retaliates against the 2 French ships with the little artillery it has left.
    6. Three ships have to reload their guns, and only the French frigate can fire against the English ship-of-the-line.

7. Damage accumulates on the English ship of the line. The French frigate is targeted by the 2 English ships.
    8. The artillery of the English ship of the line loses effectiveness.

9. The English ships try to break off the fight.
    10. Final salvo from the English ship of the line, which is fatally shot by the French, but allows the English frigate to return to its camp, heavily damaged.

Conclusion :
    Tim Honier dominates the naval battle, having retained both his ships.
    Last edited by Monse Haillon; 01-15-2024 at 08:24.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another neat little ding dong Simon. Outgunned as you were, you still put up a creditable fight.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I have only used the small 14 gun ships once and they seem quite fragile. I had 2 of them fight a frigate and they did win but with a very lucky 1st broadside, I had expected them to lose.
    So as Rob said you were outgunned Monse and it's hard to beat those odds.
    Cheers