Threaded View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

We have sailed many places since my last post but I haven't been taking pictures.

We spent two days sitting out weather in Solomon's Island then had a delightful sail to St. Mary's City on the Potomac River.

https://www.hsmcdigshistory.org/

St. Mary's is the first capital of Maryland until it moved to Annapolis in the 1690's. The really neat part is that the entire community basically was abandoned or became farmer's fields and is an amazing archeological project now.

We left St. Mary's and had a long motor back to Solomon's where our replacement galley pump was waiting. Our previous one had given up the ghost during the race and was hanging on with a jury rig. In Solomon's the marina that hosted the racers gave us our slip back at no charge afterwe'd been gone for a few days!

Once again we left Solomon's, this time heading for Smith Island. It was a nice, leisurely sail, with just enough wind to keep Grace moving at a good clip.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland

Smith Island is the last community in Maryland that is only accessible by boat. I think there's less than 200 folks that live there year round. It's a quiet place and most of it is only a few feet above high tide.

After a day in Smith Island, we left Ewell, the main town, and headed for Mill Creek off Ingram Bay, Virginia, just south of Smith Point. The wind was initially light but filled in nicely as the day went on. We were heading to Mill Creek because it's a great place to sit out weather and more was coming. The day of this weather event was spent Terraforming Mars.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-23-2023 at 17:51.