A little lesson on social geography Rob; the Chesapeake Bay divides the western shore and Eastern Shore. Note the capitalization on Eastern Shore. It's inhabitants almost consider it a separate country. The western shore has urban centers like Baltimore, Washington, and Richmond. The Eastern Shore has Dover and Salisbury. The United States managed to build a railroad across its entire width before anyone succeeded in building one down the length of the Eastern Shore (also called the Delmarva Peninsula). Technology lags here, and here is where we like to explore.

As the breeze faded and moved forward, Suzanne and I explored new and different ways to trim for light air. I ran the spinnaker sheets, which trim way far aft and can trim farther inboard. These I attached to the clew of the jib to maximize twist in the leach. Suzanne helmed.

Name:  DSCN0908.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  123.2 KB

I sat on the lee rail to induce heel, which we know works on dinghies. I did not allow my feet to trail in the water - FRICTION!

Here, our efforts have paid off and we have caught Virginia. Sunset was coming on.

Name:  DSCN0905.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  114.8 KB