Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Mayflower II

Name:  20230731_112834.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  153.0 KB

She's a little before our time, but Suzanne took this coming in to Plymouth today.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Weather permitting, two days from now we should be tying up just down from Old Ironsides.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great to see these old ships reproed and actually sailing Dobbs.
    You seem to have pole position for all these ships passing bye.
    What a pretty picture she makes too.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I grew up in Fairhaven Massachusetts, about 40 minutes away from Plymouth. I didn't have to go to Plymouth to see the Mayflower as it was brought to Fairhaven whenever it needed an overhaul. I was quite surprised the first time I saw it in the yard in Fairhaven.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We also have an old repro of Cabot's ship the Matthew in Bristol.
    You can see it here in a post I made way back in 2015.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....hlight=matthew

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I look forward to coming to England at some point and seeing your historic ships, Rob.

We arrived in Boston today, sailing over the same waters wher and Chesapeake and Shannon settled their differences.

Name:  20230802_172457.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  249.7 KB

Constitution as seen from our marina. Tomorrow we explore.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheets View Post
    I grew up in Fairhaven Massachusetts, about 40 minutes away from Plymouth. I didn't have to go to Plymouth to see the Mayflower as it was brought to Fairhaven whenever it needed an overhaul. I was quite surprised the first time I saw it in the yard in Fairhaven.
    While we were in Plymouth we got to talk to a crewmember and apparently they take her to Mystic Seaport these days. She's looking pretty fresh off a recent refit.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It would certainly be great to be able to entertain you both over here in Blighty Dobbs.
    Meanwhile i will just feast my eyes on your wonderful bit of history and dream of my next visit to the USA. whenever we can arrange it. Speedwell lass wants to revisit Willamsburg.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't forget to post us a few more shots of your adventures up tne coast Dobbs. Boston is another of those places I have always wanted to visit.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Exploring the Constitution, day 1:

Our first discovery was this mock-up of the lines to control a 24 pdr. I'm always impressed that the ring bolts for the breeching line don't pull through the ship’s hull.

Name:  20230803_150650.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  182.1 KB

Establishing shots:

The stern

Name:  20230803_150834.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  199.8 KB

Port Quarter - The main topmast had some rot and had to come down. The fore and mizzen t'gallants were unstepped because of rigging attaching to the mainmast. It was very interesting to see how they were storing the t'gallant masts vertical in front of their respective topmasts (I a pictureshowingthison day 2).

Name:  20230803_150945.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  233.2 KB

The Captain's Cabin - it's fun to compare the scenes in "Master and Commander " to this. 1000 more tons gets you some more room.

Name:  20230803_153005.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  20230803_153009.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  161.6 KB

This is a great picture of the diagonal bracing that allows for a long ship with only one gundeck.

Name:  20230803_153954.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  117.5 KB

This gives an idea of how reinforced the stern needs to be to handle the loads from the rudder. She does not have the lines run to her wheel here. Of interest are the numbers on the beam so that she can be steered from below deck with the relieving tackle if the wheel gets shot away (as happened fighting Java).

Name:  20230803_154407.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  157.9 KB

After checking out the ship we wandered into the museum. It has a lot of interactive displays for young and old. Our favorite was a full size yard with sail attached hanging about 4 feet (1.25m) off the floor to allow folks to try their hand at furling a sail. Suzanne and I jumped at the opportunity and laughed ourselves silly while grabbing yards of canvas while balancing on the footrope. She got more gaskets tied than me.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 08-05-2023 at 18:26.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Day 2: On the first day, we learned from the crew that Constitution was going out for a turnaround the next day. They do this periodically to allow her to weather evenly. Unfortunately, this cruise was not open to the public. It was a thank you to Vietnam War vets. However, we were staying in the marina right next door.

Here she is returning from the turnaround and firing on a private vessel that offended her captain.

Name:  20230804_122515.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  20230804_122546.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  35.0 KB

Seriously, she's firing a 17 gun salute to the Coast Guard station. She only has 2 active guns but they must be breech loaders, because it was only about 10 seconds between shots.

Name:  20230804_122547.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  44.1 KB

17 rounds makes a bit of smoke. It just goes to show that our use of cotton balls is pretty accurate.

After the fireworks, it was just a question of tucking her back in.

Name:  20230804_123636.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  137.4 KB

Name:  20230804_124513.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  202.0 KB

All secure.

Name:  20230804_150319.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  186.9 KB

Name:  20230804_150215.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  186.7 KB

Seeing the real ship up close and personal, I think Ares did a pretty fine job on their model.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 08-06-2023 at 03:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

very interesting and informative set of pholos Dobbs. A couple of attatchments are not showing up for me but otherwise all is great.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think it is worth adding these photos to your album Dobbs.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I think it is worth adding these photos to your album Dobbs.

Rob.
    I can't figure out how to do that from my phone.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may need to save them from your phone onto your computer first.
    I will ask my techii.
    Rob.

Wow what a spot! Sometimes arriving by boat gets you the best parking spots.

I am amazed they are still working on the rigging. Must be another scheduled refit. I was onboard after last major overhaul and drydocking. I bought a pen in the store made from wood taken from the hull and I keeping telling myself it has a sliver of the original in it.

Prior to the last refit and of course COVID they had a lottery system for the annual turnaround, so a few members of the public could make it onboard. I hope they bring it back.

The museum has some nice artifacts including several swords and possessions of her wartime commanders.

Good timing. I live in Mass and have not seen a turn around yet. One of these years now that I'm retired...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I was onboard after last major overhaul and drydocking. I bought a pen in the store made from wood taken from the hull and I keeping telling myself it has a sliver of the original in it.
    There are some very historical artifacts around if you can get hold of them Eric.

I subscribed to the fund to get the SS Great Britain back to Bristol from the Falklands, and when they were replacing her deck, they were turning out door stops from the timber. In mine you can see a section of one of the cut nails used and the pitch line where the caulking ran.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That's pretty cool about the Great Britain, Rob! I. K. Brunel is one of my heros.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mine too Dobbs.
    An outstanding engineer. if only the rest of the railway companies had adopted his 8ft gauge we would have a much smoother railway network and faster too.
    Re the Great Britain. The first time I visited after it returned, it was just a shell, with chalk marks on the bulkheads showing where all the fittings, engines and drive shafts were going to be. Now it is fitted out just as it would have been on its maiden voyage.

Rob.