Thread: Origins 2023 - Running the Shoals - SOG Game 2

Default Origins 2023 - Running the Shoals - SOG Game 2

Origins 2023 – Game 5 – 2nd Origins SOG, Running the Shoals

10 captains braved the shoals to engage in battle for control of the seas. A French fleet was trying to break the blockade and slip out to sea.
    If a ship’s base passes over or overlaps a shoal an E chit is drawn. The figure = running into the sand bar. Half the ship’s burden is taken in A damage chits. A zero must be drawn at the beginning of a turn to be free of the bar.

Today's Captains,
    Royal Navy
    1 HMS Goliath - Pete Oakley
    3 HMS Malta - Timothy Marx
    5 HMS Superb - Dave Langhurst
    7 HMS Vanguard - Chris Weaver
    9 HMS Defense - Mike Jacobs

French Navy
    2 Aquilon - Tim F.
    4 Neptune - Emily P.
    6 Genereux - Robert Durst
    8 Commerce de Bordeux - Patrick O'Toole
    10 le Berwick - Pat Icard

At the beginning of the game the Royal Navy are all smiling and seem to think they have it in the bag.
    Name:  157.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  246.0 KB

The French are busy plotting their cunning strategy.
    Name:  158.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  242.2 KB

The British pick their way through the shoal openings and….WHATS THIS? A mystery from the future in the form of a ghost B-24?
    Name:  159.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  288.2 KB

As the Royal Navy closes with the French they give the enemy the first shot.
    The French turn tight into the wind and get off a long shot at the HMS Goliath.
    Name:  160.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  251.8 KB

The Commerce de Bordeux lets loose a long shot at HMS Vanguard.
    Name:  161.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  254.3 KB

Genereux shows no love for the HMS Superb peppering it with a long range shot
    Name:  162.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  227.1 KB

Commerce de Bordeux takes another unansewered shot at HMS Vanguard.
    Name:  163.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  271.7 KB

HMS Defense sends a party on to the low tide sandbar to roast some sausages.
    Name:  164.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  235.9 KB

HMS Vanguard delivers a stern rake to le Berwick. Looks like the Berwick Zigged when she should have Zagged.
    Name:  165.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  226.2 KB

At the van of the line a general exchange of shots continues until the HMS Superb succumbs and strikes her colors.
    Name:  166.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  251.5 KB

Name:  167.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  226.7 KB

Name:  168.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  248.1 KB

A French salute to HMS Superb?
    Name:  169.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  237.1 KB

Now with a five on two advantage, the French push on.
    Name:  170.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  233.0 KB

HMS Malta takes revenge on the Genereux, blasting a point blank bow rake with marines firing away. The Genereux strikes and gives up the fight.
    Name:  171.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  270.9 KB

HMS Vanguard sails as fast as she can to join the fight catching a long range shot from Neptune.
    Name:  172.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  271.4 KB

Neptune now gains the attention from the HMS Vanguard and the HMS Supurb II.
    Name:  173.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  275.7 KB

HMS Malta takes a pounding from Commerce de Bordeux and le Berwick while giving out a stern rake just before she strikes!
    Name:  174.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  274.0 KB

Le Berwick now punishes HMS Goliath with a full broadside into her stern.
    Name:  175.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  253.1 KB

The enthusiastic captain of the HMS Superb II let loose every gun, rifle and pistol at the Neptune.
    Name:  176.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  253.0 KB

Neptune takes another shot from HMS Goliath. Captain Emily of the Neptune screams, “Is that all ya got”?
    Name:  177.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  238.0 KB

Enraged by the taunt, HMS Goliath quickly closes to board. Unfortunately the bow rake she takes on the way in ends badly and HMS Goliath strikes to the French SOL.
    Name:  178.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  268.1 KB

Narrowly missing having a collision with one of her own, le Berwick fails to see HMS Vanguard approach off her stern and pays heavily.
    Name:  179.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  244.2 KB

Somehow the French pull off a substantial victory, losing only one ship while taking three from the Royal Navy! Captain Emily wins the honors with the taking of two prizes!
    Last edited by TwoSheets; 07-05-2023 at 21:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very overwhelming victory for the French Peter. I am always wary about performing a head on attack myself, no matter what Lord Nelson got away with at Trafalgar. Our games system does not giv the British a three broadsides to two advantage.
    Well done the French for superior positioning.
    Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I did give the RN one rum barrel and hull repair each, but it wasn't enough!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheets View Post
    I did give the RN one rum barrel and hull repair each, but it wasn't enough!
    It did help to ease the pain somewhat.

Thanks for posting, Peter. I didn't take nearly enough pics of my games.

My own ships have started to arrive, so I hope to get them to my table soon.