Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Partizan 23.

Here are a few shots of the Battle of Valdivia from Partizan which we played the weekend before last.

The Spanish and Chilean squadrons make ready for the frey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1696.jpg   IMG_1695.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:38.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The fort on the island held by the Spanish is the key to the Spanish position and the river which flows up to the Town of Valdivia and which is the objective of Corcoran’s Chilean Squadron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1697.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:37.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Corcoran’s Chilean Squadron deploys towards the fort of Castillo de San Sebastian de la Cruz which had been captured by storm on the previous night and could thus give some support to the Chileans as they attacked the Spanish Squadron. The Spanish held fort of Niebla on the left of the picture was thus nullified totally from the action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1706.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having seen the enemy dispositions, the Spanish Commadore now gave orders for his squadron to attack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1707.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At the same time Fort de San Pedro de Alcantara on the island opened fire on the Chillean flagship O'Higgins as it passed by.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here we see Chris instructing his Spanish captains on the value of keeping out of the Chilean captured fort's batteries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1709.jpg   IMG_1710.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile, the rest of the Chilean ships hug the coast and give the Spanish no chance to repeat their sucess with the O'Higgens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1711.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:36.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The real action starts with a broadsdside on the Spanish Ifignia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1712.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ifignia also gets a forrard battery shot off at the leading Chilean Frigate as it passes.

With the damage suffered by the Ifignia the O'Higgins now decides to board her and delivers a stinging broadside of her own on the second Spanish ship to arrive on the scene.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1714.jpg   IMG_1713.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-02-2023 at 10:00.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

General meyhem now ensues as O'Higgins takes a battering from both the other Spaniards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1716.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:36.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The third Chilean Frigate now enters the battle, as the fort San Sabastian mauls the Spanish Mahonsa.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ifignia suffers a forrard battery shot from O'Higgins.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The rearmost ships in the Squadron now exchange fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1720.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chris now helps the Chilean commander formulate his masterstroke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1721.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:35.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The forrard battery just clips a Spanish ship starting to make a run for it.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:46.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is at this critical moment that O'Higgins loses the boarding action and is forced to capitulate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1723.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-02-2023 at 15:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Loss of men caused the demise, all started by that fire from the fort at the start of the game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1724.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-02-2023 at 15:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

However, it turned out that Ifignia was not in much better condition and was to suffer the same fate later.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:47.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mohonsa was the next Spaniard to go having strayed under the guns of San Sebastian, taken out by the San Martin assisted by fire from the fort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1728.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 02:07.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mahonesa is also beaten down by superior firepower.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:54.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here we see San Martin serenely sailing past the wreck of his victim as it drifts toward the shore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1730.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-02-2023 at 15:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The battle now moves to the last two Spanish Frigate still in action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1732.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 01:56.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An engagement now commences between Lautaro and Prosipina who have not seen much action thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1733.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-02-2023 at 15:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both ships try to gain the best position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1734.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another Chilean ship now arrives on the scene to support Lautaro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1735.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As Lautaro delivers the Coup de Grace to Ifigenia, Proserpina decides to call it a day and runs for the covering fire of her fort. This leaves the estuary to the river Valdivia open to the two remaining Chilean Frigates and the city is at their mercy. Having been joined by the remnants of all the forts abandoned by the garrisons, the city is now taken by the Chilean army which surrenders on the arrival of the news that the fort of San Sabastian has fallen.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1736.jpg   IMG_1737.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-03-2023 at 02:03.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1738.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-02-2023 at 15:20.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1738.jpg   IMG_1739.jpg   IMG_1740.jpg   IMG_1741.jpg