Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default A Visit to a Maritime Museum

Name:  20230413_144557.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  175.7 KB

A dramatic painting of two privateers capturing a mail packet.

Name:  20230413_144559.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  131.6 KB

The card describing the action and an example of why you can't always count on spell-check.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great action painting Dobbs.
    My bad eyesight is not good enough to make out some of the writing on the card but it looks like spell check sucks. Is that the word?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Great action painting Dobbs.
    My bad eyesight is not good enough to make out some of the writing on the card but it looks like spell check sucks. Is that the word?

Rob.
    The caption reads:

Capture of Townsend

The British Royal Mail packet ship Townsend
    was attacked by the American privateers Tom
    and Bona. Surrender came only after a severe
    struggle, the mails sack and the privateers
    escaped with minor damage.

Artist - John Bentham-Dinsdale
    (the last line eludes me as well...)

Here is some more information on the painter. He only died in 2008.

https://originalpaintings.com/artist...tham-dinsdale/

Looking at the site below, it appears that numerous of his paintings can still be auctioned. The prices of some of them don't even seem to be totally out of reached for us unwashed masses.

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/be...uction-prices/

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Yes, I believe that what the card is trying to say is that the mail packet struck, as in surrendered. Unfortunately, spell check must have corrected it to suck.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your elucidation gentlemen.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230413_144605.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  193.1 KB

Here's another painting from the museum. This is early in the engagement between Constitution and Guerriere.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another superb rendition of what I imagine when this action is mentioned. That would certainly grace the wall of my games room.
    Thanks for sharing this Dobbs.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Okay, the answer is in. The mails were sunk, being that the crew of the packet sank the mail bags to prevent capture. The museum is going to address the tag.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for clarification of that Dobbs. I'm sure the Museum are very greatful.

First rate eyesight on your part, much akin to Mrs Bligh, aka Speedwell lass, who whilst observing a static display noticed that on the table the plate with salt dough biscuits on it had live weevils popping in and out of them. The Museum curator was very upset when she drew it to his attention. The next time we went in the plate and biscuits had been totally removed, and not replaced on the display.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks for clarification of that Dobbs. I'm sure the Museum are very greatful.

First rate eyesight on your part, much akin to Mrs Bligh, aka Speedwell lass, who whilst observing a static display noticed that on the table the plate with salt dough biscuits on it had live weevils popping in and out of them. The Museum curator was very upset when she drew it to his attention. The next time we went in the plate and biscuits had been totally removed, and not replaced on the display.

Rob.
    Apparently, the curator perceived the absence of biscuits the lesser of two weevils...

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.