Thread: Lt.Bush in action.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Default Lt.Bush in action.

Gentlemen,

tonight will be the second action... One of the three other players went AWOL, however the press gang (me) shanghaied a replacement.

The plan is to make one run of the initial scenario with the Standard Rules and then repeat using the Advanced Rules for the first time.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

When you think you have everything pieced together... Another player out for tonight because his wife is tested Corona positive this morning. So we are down to three again, one of them an infernal lubber yet to wake from his crapulence as he had been given a fill by the press gang yesterday.

What shall we do with the drunken sailor?
    What shall we do with the drunken sailor?
    What shall we do with the drunken sailor early in the morning?

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Put him in the scuppers with a hosepipe on him Lt. Bush.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Put him in the bilge and make him drink it?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Ah, the disappointment!

As good as the proposed measures are, I am afraid that they will not be enough.

He did not show up yesterday, claiming that an annual session of his long haired general's rowing club took much longer than expected and thus he could not let the kids behind alone in port.

Rowing club, indeed? Naval ingeniuety and tactics have left behind the pentere and galeass as vessels to be taken seriously since the days of the Battle of Lepanto!

With the English squadron not having shown up to maintain the blockade of Brest, there was no naval engagement whatsoever. The French squadron (represented by me) made to the sea unmolested and a beautiful French mademoiselle (my wife) did not even have to wave her kerchief to distract the English captains causing a collision mutually sinking both Royal Navy ships as in the last action.

A gloomy day, I say!

I am afraid that when English vessels sail at last, they will need to make haste and give their utmost in their chase to catch up with the French squadron...

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Sounds like you need to have a set of soloplay rules on standby.

I've found that having Players vs. Soloplay allows you to field larger actions and has the unique effect of creating a cooperative wargame.

If you're interested, I'll repost my rules. I've made some slight changes since I first created them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An interesting point Dobbs.
    I have played several of my games with both Captains Smithers and Kiwi in this mode as it not only allows the larger games, but also a chance for discussion on tactics and instruction to the new player on rules and the amendment of those special ones that we introduce for certain scenarios where the official ones are absent or unfit for purpose.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Sounds like you need to have a set of soloplay rules on standby.

I've found that having Players vs. Soloplay allows you to field larger actions and has the unique effect of creating a cooperative wargame.

If you're interested, I'll repost my rules. I've made some slight changes since I first created them.

I am interested to have a look, Mr. Dobbs.

My plan ist to play SoG with real opponents, otherwise I have plenty of hobbies & games to divert my time to. Nevertheless, the rules you have come up with would be interesting. As has been stated in another thread, the "artificial" opponent seems to function quite well, which is normally a very challenging thing to achieve for a game.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The strange thing is that the very first game I ever played was back in about 1980 agaist Captain Smithers. It was a Napoleonic game of encounter where a Prussian Corps marching down one Mountain pass debouched into a plain just as French units began to arrive from another valley of the mountain range at about only 15 degrees from the Prussian mounted scouts, the French scouts having already pressed on into the plane. Working out how to deploy the main body of troops out from a column into a fighting position in such circumstances took up most of the game, and most of the heavy units never even got into play.
    The strange thing was that because we were both new to wargaming, we spent most of the evening discussing what we thought both of the suprised Generals would have done historically, rather than trying to outsmart each other. This rather set the tone of further battles, so it was no real hardship for us to transfer this approach towards playing against an AI led enemy force.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  SoG Solo Tables - Sailing Master 1d6 2-23-23_230223_174121_1.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  219.2 KB

Name:  SoG Solo Tables - Sailing Master 1d6 2-23-23_230223_174121_2.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  218.9 KB

Name:  SoG Solo Tables - Sailing Master 1d6 2-23-23_230223_174121_3.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  144.4 KB

Here are my newest tables, and below is a link to the instructions. The tables with the instructions are not as good as the ones above.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.p...play-Mechanism

Of course, if you have questions, you know where to find me.

If you use the tables, let me know how they play for you.

If you need better copies, I have them in PDF form.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-24-2023 at 11:19.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Name:  SoG Solo Tables - Sailing Master 1d6 2-23-23_230223_174121_1.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  219.2 KB

Name:  SoG Solo Tables - Sailing Master 1d6 2-23-23_230223_174121_2.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  218.9 KB

Name:  SoG Solo Tables - Sailing Master 1d6 2-23-23_230223_174121_3.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  144.4 KB

Here are my newest tables, and below is a link to the instructions. The tables with the instructions are not as good as the ones above.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.p...play-Mechanism

Of course, if you have questions, you know where to find me.

If you use the tables, let me know how they play for you.

If you need better copies, I have them in PDF form.

Thank you, Mr. Dobbs, I am much obliged.

I will scrutinize them on opportunity.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs. More for my collection of your inestimable work.
    I now have establised a folder specially for your work.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Gentlemen,

the next action is now scheduled for the (hopefully glorious) 5th of March.

One of the captains of the British squadron seems to be in high spirits as evidenced by this attached picture sent to me post haste:

Name:  -5467481363830654072_121.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  114.6 KB

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Several of us have the medal for that action Lt.
    It was awarded to those captains when the Battle was fought out at our annual Doncaster weekend a few years back. Both Fleets being supplied by Captain Duff.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

A most impressive display of naval power. How long did this action take at Doncaster?

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A morning and afternoon Lt.Bush. I will look out some more of Chris's superb photos tomorrow.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Admiral Bligh, fellow officers,

it is my pleasure to report the frigate action of the 5th of March in the Mediterranean Sea north of Algiers at 38°13'32“N and 2°41'54“E. In the afternoon a small British squadron consisting of the frigates HMS Mahonesa (36) and HMS Orpheus (32) was alerted by the lookout to two sails on the horizon. The British closed on a south-westerly course identifying the unknown vessels as a pair of enemy frigates, the French Courageuse (34) and the Spanish Ifigenia (34) on a north-westerly course with a fine breeze blowing from the east.

You might have taken note already, that the British squadron has returned to port with a captured vessel, which will hopefully be condemned as a prize.

Despatches with details on this action have already been delivered to the authorities and can be reviewed here.

Lt. Bush
    Last edited by William Bush; 03-06-2023 at 12:01.
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Gentlemen,

not only the next action is scheduled but two of them. If all goes well, we shall play on Saturday 18th of March and Tuesday 21st of March.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I await with interest your dispatch containing the report of your action Lt. Bush.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Curses!

Today's action is cancelled - Corona in the family... Thank God only a very light case.

I am still up and running the ship.

Hopefully, this damned plague will not also screw up the game planned for next Tuesday (and other nice things I had planned for next week and have been looking forward to for a long time).

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry to hear this Lt Bush. Mine only lasted four days with one really bad day, but it took a week before I stopped feeling tired and sleeping a lot although my test had come out Ok on day five so hopefully you will be better for next week.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sorry to hear this Lt Bush. Mine only lasted four days with one really bad day, but it took a week before I stopped feeling tired and sleeping a lot although my test had come out Ok on day five so hopefully you will be better for next week.
    Rob.
    Thank your for your kind wishes, Admiral.

As I said, I am still well and on duty. So far it is only the long haired general who is affected.

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you are not infected with this plague Mr. Bush. I hope that your good lady improves very soon. Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Glad you are not infected with this plague Mr. Bush. I hope that your good lady improves very soon. Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Rob.

Hear, hear! I concur wholeheartedly. I hope already that she's on the mend.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Thank you for all the good wishes, good people.

My good lady is perfectly capable of compiling lists with errands for me to carry out.
    This is an unmistakable cue that she feels pretty well.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like it Lt.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

All hands!

Thank the Lord, corona quarantine is overcome, my good lady is well again! The squadron has left port to take upon the enemy tomorrow.

I am prepared in spirit(s) to give chase to any French vessels we should come across!

Name:  High Spirits.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  197.1 KB

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    All hands!

Thank the Lord, corona quarantine is overcome, my good lady is well again! The squadron has left port to take upon the enemy tomorrow.

I am prepared in spirit(s) to give chase to any French vessels we should come across!

Lt. Bush
    Glad that the your good lady is doing better. Have a great game in good spirits; and thanks for the rep on my AAR.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear that Mr.Bush.
    You have the Port Admiral's permission to remove the Quarantine flag from your masthead prior to sailing to join your squadron.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Good to hear that Mr.Bush.
    You have the Port Admiral's permission to remove the Quarantine flag from your masthead prior to sailing to join your squadron.
    Bligh.
    It has been done with the utmost despatch, Admiral. The squadron of one 1st rate and one 3rd rate ship of the line took out to the sea to be on station just in time to catch two French ships of the line off-guard. The Royal Navy has won another victory over the French. Despatches will be sent to you soon.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Congratulations Lt. Bush.
    I trust that I and the rest of the Board of the Admiralty will appreciate and commend your Despatch when it is delivered. The Semaphore station on the Admiralty building has been alerted and is ready to receive your communication.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I still have not completed my last despatch, while I am looking forward for my next action.

After @Argo and @JackAubrey1805 have kindly invited me to their next SoG meeting this coming Saturday a couple of weeks ago, I have not heard anything from them here in the forum. But to my delight, Argo has dropped me a message yesterday, and the meeting will take place.

I am looking forward to it. Having only played a single action with the Advanced Rules (and not including all optional rules), the coming session will be an interesting challenge and a fine chance to learn the ropes from more experienced old tars.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good luck to you Lt. Experience can only help you in your quest for excellence.
    I look forward to your despatch as usual.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I have just returned from the SoG action together with @JackAubrey1805 at @Argo's place.

It was a blast!

We played a scenario in which the Royal Navy has to conquer a Spanish harbor town guarded by a couple of coastal batteries. After the first shots are exchanged, the Spanish get reinforcements in the form of two Ships of the line, while the English attack with six and receive a seventh after the first of theirs has been sunk. Argo & JackAubrey1805 had played this scenario before and tweaked it a little bit.

Through forces not yet fully understood, Lt. Bush suddenly found himself in command of three ships of the line. One of these was sunk, after receiving devastating fire from the reinforcing Spanish ships early. But after quite a while of maneuvering in changing wind conditions supported by the reinforcing English ship, he "went straight at 'em".

My highlight was literal heads-on duel of one English and one Spanish ship that rammed each other, then entangled and fired away guns and muskets at each other. Lt. Bush's British ship lost half her crew in this initial onslaught but gave almost as good as she got. After a second savage round of gunning & musketry, only two crew counters remained on Lt. Bush's ship vs. four on the Spanish ship, each having a burthen of 5. In the following boarding action, Lt. Bush led his remaining few sailors outnumbered by the Spanish. He inflicted no less than 4 out of 5 possible Crew damages while receiving 2 of 5. Thus, the crews of both ships were virtually annihilated, in which case the rules call for random selection to determine the victory. And it was Lt. Bush with his valiant few, who prevailed.

If this were not enough, the British ship was then attacked by the other Spaniard, receiving to less than two leaks and a fire started for good measure. In this desparate situation, Lt. Bush used his sole remaining action with his last crew counter to board the empty still entangled first Spanish ship while giving up his own, sinking beneath him. Now the second Spaniard turned on his former companion just captured by Lt. Bush, again dealing out a leak and some damage. Lt. Bush was exhorting his few remaining men to begin with repairs letting the hull fill with water in the hope of completing the repair before the captured vessel sunk and then to begin working at the pumps to keep her afloat and to save her.

At this time, the Spaniards conceded as the port-town had been conquered by the English landing force, which had been brought in by expert seamanship of @Argo, the Admiral of the squadron.

A victory for the Royal Navy and the King!

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A man after my own heart Mr Bush. Well fought sir. I wish only that I could have been present to witness the action. Did any of your officers perchance have time to sketch any of the action?
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

A man after my own heart Mr Bush. Well fought sir. I wish only that I could have been present to witness the action. Did any of your officers perchance have time to sketch any of the action?
    Bligh.
    A number of sketches were taken by the Admiral of the squadron, but not of every broadside exchanged. I do not know his intentions with regard to despatches or if he plans to include these, I have to admit, though.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your diligence Mr Bush. It is hoped that the Admiral will forward his sketches for inclusion in our records.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Mr Bush, my congratulations on taking part in such a stirring action, especially after such a long chase to get there. Such gallant deeds will surely bring the promotion to Captain sooner rather than later.

Bravo Sir

As Admiral Bligh remarked - we do like sketches but I can quite understand that it is sometimes difficult to sit quietly and put pencil to paper and convey your impression of the action when you are rushing from one sinking ship onto another sinking ship, waving your cutlass in a menacing fashion, possible firing your pistol at the same time and trying to avoid getting your boots wet in the process. However I'm sure as your experience in these actions grows you will be able to achieve a sketch or two.

It sounds as though you had a very happy action and hopefully there will be many more in the future.