Thread: Cold Wars 2023 Running the Shoals

Default Cold Wars 2023 Running the Shoals

Cold Wars Game 4 ‘Running the Shoals’

I submitted the game with a maximum of 10 players and was happy that I got 8 participants. A few were new to the game but caught on quickly. I had prepared to play with all the rules but with 3 newcomers I didn't want to scare them off with the extra complexity. Also, being the 4th game I ran on Friday it was probably better from my end that I kept it simple.

A French Squadron was making its way to the open ocean by way of the passage inside the shoal s that line this portion of the coast. When the Royal Navy arrived with the wind advantage, the fight was on.
    Spoiler alert!!! If you are a Royal Navy enthuiast, you may not want to continue.

Eight jolly Captains start the day thinking victory would be theirs.
    Name:  IMG_3389.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  238.8 KB

The HMS Superb take on three of the four French!
    Name:  IMG_3390.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  224.0 KB

To the southwestern end of the shoals two RN SOLs have one French ship apparently trapped between them.
    Name:  IMG_3391.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  254.4 KB

Captain Bill of the HMS Superb has no fear in amongst the trio of French SOLs.
    Name:  IMG_3392.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  213.7 KB

A second RN SOL approaches cautiously as the Superb keeps the French occupied.
    Name:  IMG_3393.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  251.6 KB

RN Captain Robert is caught by the French SOL and forced along the edge of the shoals.
    Name:  IMG_3394.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  244.7 KB

French Captain Mike trying to avoid a rake from RN Captain Max.
    Name:  IMG_3395.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  209.9 KB

French Captain Mike succesfully avoids the rake but not a bow shot. RN Captain Max’s laugh can be heard over the gunfire.
    Name:  IMG_3396.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  241.4 KB

The Neptune and HMS Superb pass each other very closly and blast away with their rear gun sections
    Name:  IMG_3397.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  232.0 KBName:  IMG_3397.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  232.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3400.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  231.2 KB

HMS Goliath parts ways with the Genereux but takes a shot up the stern.
    Name:  IMG_3398.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  217.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3401.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  223.4 KB

With two RN ships sliding under the waves the Dauphin and Le Berwick sail towards the remaining enemy ships. The HMS Superb put up a heroic effort taking on 3 French SOLs but help was late in coming and she succumbed to the voluminous fire against her. The HMS Goliath did her best taking on one, then a second French SOL and she too was claimed by King Neptune.
    Name:  IMG_3399.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  237.4 KB

The HMS Tonnant, late to the fight wonders where her sisters have all gone. Only Captain Max is still afloat, but soon also sinks due to damage to her hull.
    Name:  IMG_3402.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  235.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3403.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  241.9 KB

The HMS Tonnant has a tough task ahead, engages with two French and two more getting closer.
    Name:  IMG_3404.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  239.1 KB

The Genereux tangles with the HMS Tonnant taking heavy fire while blasting away with its starboard bow section. The HMS Tonnant has had enough and strikes its colors!
    Name:  IMG_3405.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  221.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3406.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  219.4 KB

Even starting with the wind against them the French pull off a spectacular victory defeating all four RN SOLs while losing none of their own! Vive la France!

All Captains sailed exceptionally in that they all avoided the shoals scattered about. That said, The Royal Navy had its troubles. The HMS Tonnant took a wrong turn and could not get back into the fight until it was all but done. The other three RN SOLs did their best to fight an uphill battle outnumbered 3 vs 4 with the Tonnant off having tea.
    Last edited by TwoSheets; 03-16-2023 at 16:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An epic victory for the French, and a good excuse for me to hold a Courts Martial for the RN captains should any of them have survived.
    Thanks for the dispatch.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have been mentioned in Dispatches Peter.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Much appreciated.

Sorry I missed CW this year, I may have signed up for this game instead of your usual Wings games, which are always great fun!

Sorry you missed CW too Eric. Not sure I'll make Historicon but I plan on going to Fall In. I'll make sure to run one SOG there.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheets View Post
    Sorry you missed CW too Eric. Not sure I'll make Historicon but I plan on going to Fall In. I'll make sure to run one SOG there.
    I try not to miss Historicon because I really like the Lancaster Convention Center venue. I will probably run a Napoleonic naval game but using Kiss Me Hardy instead of SoG.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I try not to miss Historicon because I really like the Lancaster Convention Center venue. I will probably run a Napoleonic naval game but using Kiss Me Hardy instead of SoG.
    I have not yet been to the downtown Lancaster venu. This year would be tough as I'm planning on going to Origins and Gencon. I'll need a break in July!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheets View Post
    I have not yet been to the downtown Lancaster venu. This year would be tough as I'm planning on going to Origins and Gencon. I'll need a break in July!
    Well Fall-In will be right around the 10-year anniversary of SoG, so you will have to put on a big game!