Thread: AAR - Frigate Action north of Algiers at 38°13'32“N and 2°41'54“E, 5th of March

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Default AAR - Frigate Action north of Algiers at 38°13'32“N and 2°41'54“E, 5th of March

After the original date for this game had to be postponed on short notice, finally got together for this game on 5th of March 2023. As two of the players needed to be at home in the evening, it would only be a one-round match.

As this was only our second meeting altogether, we used the Standard Rules with following Optional Rules being in effect: Let The Men Drink (can't do without it...), Entanglement, Continuous Fire, First Broadside, Boarding, Surrendered Ships. We forgot about Double Shot and misplayed First Broadside by using it only once per ship and not once per the ship's both sides.

To get more acquainted and familiar with maneuvering, we chose a frigate action, which would also allow „Capt. Ganzorro“ a first try of his newly bought Spanish frigate Ifigenia and my own („Lt. Bush“) yet unplayed British frigate HMS Mahonesa.

Ifigenia 1795 (Spanish) – Capt. Ganzorro:
    Burthen 3, Veer 7, Sailing Profile A, Guns 34, Crew 288, Point Value 73

Courageuse 1778 (French) – Capt. Brugueler:
    Burthen 3, Veer 7, Sailing Profile A, Guns 34, Crew 280, Point Value 74

HMS Mahonesa 1796 (British) – Lt. Bush (Acting Capt.):
    Burthen 4, Veer 7, Sailing Profile K, Guns 36, Crew 260, Point Value 80

HMS Orpheus 1780, (British) – Capt. Heald:
    Burthen 2, Veer 8, Sailing Profile C, Guns 32, Crew 220, Point Value 69

Point Values of both squadrons were almost identical with 147 for the French/Spanish and 149 for the British.

The scenario was the „Basic“ scenario „Enemy In Sight!“. In the pictures, top = south, bottom = north, right = west, left = east.

In the Mediterranean Sea north of Algiers at 38°13'32“N and 2°41'54“E, 5th of March in the afternoon a small British squadron consisting of the frigates HMS Mahonesa (36) and HMS Orpheus (32) was alerted by the lookout to two sails on the horizon. The British closed on a south-westerly course identifying the unknown vessels as a pair of enemy frigates, the French Courageuse (34) and the Spanish Ifigenia (34) on a north-westerly course with a fine breeze blowing from the east.

Turn 1:
    All hands at battle stations, HMS Mahonesa attempting to maintain the weather gauge, while HMS Orpheus falling off a bit to the west with the intention to envelop the enemy frigates.

Turn 2:

Name:  T2-001.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  147.3 KB

French Courageuse holds her fire vs. HMS Mahonesa, who cannot bring her guns to bear yet. HMS Orpheus has just contrieved to bring herself into position for a raking shot and fires her first boadside at long range vs. Ifigenia. The Spanish frigate is lucky as only some shots hit home while most miss closely.

Turn 3:

Name:  F-003.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  196.8 KB

HMS Mahonesa has maneuverd behind Courageuse, avoiding the covered arc of the French vessel's full broadside while bringing her own to bear for the first time at close range with devastating effects on the crew of Courageuse. Unfortunately, it turns out that HMS Mahonesa is just in long range of the full broadside of Ifigenia, thus there is a lot of incoming return-fire. Luckily for HMS Mahonesa, the sturdiest of all vessels, the damage can be accomodated in two damage boxes plus one Crew damage. Ifigenia is further able to fire long-range from its frontal covered arc at HMS Orpheus causing some hull damage.

Turn 4:

Name:  T4-001.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  150.8 KB

While Courageuse holds course, HMS Mahonesa deftly turns westward setting the French frigate up for a raking shot at long range using Continuous Fire causing some damage, while it cannot be targeted by any enemy fire. While Ifigenia has to reload both broadsides, HMS Orpheus fires through the rear covered ard at long range but draws to blanks. So far, Ifigenia has been lucky as only two of eight chit draws against her weren't zeroes.

Turn 5:

Name:  T5-001.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  151.5 KB

HMS Mahonesa is safely out of reach while reloading. Courageuse cannot target any British ship. The hot blooded Spanish Ifigenia cuts in front of Courageuse in order to deliver a full broadside at short range vs. HMS Orpheus. It appears as a collision might be immient next turn. But first, the Spanish cannon balls tear into HMS Orpheus. As Ifigenia has taken some damage before, she can draw only two damage chits, one of which is a zero. This could have been worse...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by William Bush; 03-06-2023 at 12:03.
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Turn 6:

Name:  T6-001.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  149.6 KB

To the great relief of the Spanish and French captains, both ships just contrieve to avoid a collision by the barest of margins. This comes at a price, though, as Ifigenia is taken aback, cannot fire and can only reload, while Courageuse, by avoiding her ally, exposed herself to a raking shot through the front at short range by HMS Orpheus, which caused significant hull damage. HMS Orpheus, pressed to avoid leaving the playing area, has to maneuver in a way that takes her aback as well. Meanwhile, HMS Mahonesa is now reaching on a north-westerly course to rejoin the battle.

Turn 7:

Name:  T7-001.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  158.8 KB

Courageuse has well maneuvered to punish HMS Orpheus with a full broadside to starboard and would likely have been in a good firing position against approaching HMS Mahonesa in the upcoming turn. However, in an audacious maneuver, HMS Orpheus successfully grapples the French frigate at the stern just as she tries to pull away. If that weren't enough, contiuously firing, grape and musketry fire mow down many more of Courageuse's crew. Luck shines on HMS Orpheus, as Courageuse's return fire could have been much worse and even the long-range assist by Ifigenia is of not much help. HMS Mahonesa keeps reaching towards the action. Prospects for Courageuse seem grim.

Turn 8:

Name:  T8-001.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  183.6 KB

Despite its crew having taken grievous losses, Courageuse does press for a boarding action courageously if not recklessly. While HMS Orpheus' hull has taken quite a beating, her crew is still at full strength. Both ships get Entangled.

Name:  T8-002.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  215.1 KB

Courageuse above.

Name:  T8-003.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  184.9 KB

HMS Orhpeus above.

Name:  T8-004.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  175.5 KB

Courageuse and HMS Orpheus continuously fire broadsides at each other, the former with ball, the latter once more with grape to decimate the crew. This and Musketry fire of both ships causes further horrible crew losses on both ships. HMS Mahonesa, intent on finishing off Courageuse this turn, fires at short range through the front covered arc but misses in the excitement. In turn HMS Mahonesa is missed by Ifigenia, who will be out of position to help her French ally.

There is hardly anyone alive on Courageuse, when her boarding party clashed with the much more numerous one from HMS Orpheus. And so, it is the British boarders who won while the Courageuse struck its colors.
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Turn 9:

Name:  T9-001.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  153.5 KB

HMS Orpheus managed to disentangle from Courageuse now out of action and drifting in the sea. We might have mixed up something in the order here, as the British frigate would not have been able to move from its position in Turn 8 to this one in Turn 9, but I can't reconstruct exactly what we did. In any case, HMS Orpheus was making way to get to grips with the remaining enemy frigate Ifigenia. The same was fired at long-rage by HMS Mahonesa without effect.

Turn 10:

Name:  T10-001.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  168.9 KB

Meanwhile, darkness had set in and the ships were barely able to see each other. In order to return HMS Mahonesa's compliments, Ifigenia turned to the north-west to return a full broadside at long range but only causing minor damage. For the upcoming turn it appeared that the Spanish frigate might get sandwitched in between its British adversaries.

Turn 11:

Name:  T11-001.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  165.0 KB

And indeed this is, what happened: Ifigenia took fire from both British frigates, but she returned fire with everything she had and contrieved to almost dish out as much damage as she got. As night had decended, the battle was suspended at this point. Ifigenia was reaching away on a north-westerly course into the gloom, leaving the field to the British frigates including their prize Courageuse.
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Final Reckoning:

Name:  F-001.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  211.0 KB

Courageuse above.

Name:  F-002.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  184.5 KB

Ifigenia above.

Name:  F-003.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  196.8 KB

HMS Mahonesa above.

Name:  F-004.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  192.4 KB

HMS Orpheus above.

The outcome was a tactical victory for the Royal Navy.

Courageuse was unfortunate to receive massive damage to her crew, while her hull was still half intact when she surrendered. Ifigenia's hull was comparably battered as that of her Spanish consort, but she had lost less than half of her crew when she slinked off into the covering darkness.

The crew of HMS Mahonesa was still in good shape, while her hull had taken about half of the damage she could bear. HMS Orpheus was beaten up badly, but more than half of her crew was still on duty.

As all ships were frigates, the damage they had incurred had reduced the punch of their broadsides significantly. Consequently, it would probably have taken out several more turns to take any of the surviving ships out by gunfire alone and musketry fire would have been a greater danger. Altogether, the British frigates could still summon up roughly double the firepower of Iphigenia and likely more cumulative opportunities to fire.

Lessons Learned:

1. The audacious Cpt. Brugueler of Courageuse stated that running a frigate is a much more fragile affair than 3rd rate ship of the line.
    2. All captains appreciated the excellent veer and maneuverability of the frigates.
    3. It was noted, that the frigates lose gunnery punch very quickly, even against each other, rendering them almost ineffective. That said, the SoG system is likely coming to its limits if it would attempt to represent smaller vessels, as desirable their addition would basically appear.
    4. While the burthen of ships in the SoG system can effectively regulate the amount of physical damage a ship can take, there seems to be no such mechanism for crew damage. The sloop Alligator has a crew of 125 and 7 boxes for crew damage, i.e. one box represents roughly 18 men. The big 1st rate Royal George has a crew of 850 and 12 boxes of crew damage, i.e. one box represents roughly 71 men. So the ratio of crew represented per box for these two ships is almost 1:4 !! However, the chances to pull a damage chit for crew damage is the same for both vessels. In other words, the „method“ to take out big ships is to try taking out the crew, while the tactic to get rid of small ones is to go for physical damage. Is this „crew imbalance“ addressed somehow? Are we missing something?

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very interesting shot by shot AAR Lt Bush.
    I have found that in the unusual event of a Frigate vs 74 action the disparity in crew efficiency id of little consequence because the Frigate seldom lasts more than a couple of rounds. Remember that the crewmen do not really represent actual figures, but rather the deminishing ability to run the ship. If you want to look it as casualty depletion I suppose you could say that it is easier for a Frigate to hit a 74s larger crew than for them to hit a more spread out smaller crew in the first few rounds of fire, but that begs all sorts of question vis smaller balls and power to penetrate a heavier hull etc, so I would just take things as they are.

I also have personal issues about the way hand to hand strength is worked out, but that is a whole different musket ball game.

Generally we play with the rules we don't mind and alter the ones that we feel are disputable, such as the collision ones for enemy ships.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A very interesting shot by shot AAR Lt Bush.
    I have found that in the unusual event of a Frigate vs 74 action the disparity in crew efficiency id of little consequence because the Frigate seldom lasts more than a couple of rounds. Remember that the crewmen do not really represent actual figures, but rather the deminishing ability to run the ship. If you want to look it as casualty depletion I suppose you could say that it is easier for a Frigate to hit a 74s larger crew than for them to hit a more spread out smaller crew in the first few rounds of fire, but that begs all sorts of question vis smaller balls and power to penetrate a heavier hull etc, so I would just take things as they are.

I also have personal issues about the way hand to hand strength is worked out, but that is a whole different musket ball game.

Generally we play with the rules we don't mind and alter the ones that we feel are disputable, such as the collision ones for enemy ships.

Rob.
    Thank you for the Reputation, Admiral.

With regard to the "men per damage box representation":

The larger the difference of the ships crew, the more pronounced the issue becomes.

But indeed, usually, you will not attack a 1st rate ship of the line with a sloop & vice versa because both vessels will likely have more important matters to care for. And if the size of the crews are more even, so is the representation of damage counters.

So the issue might be of little practical relevance.

Yet, it is interesting to ponder it:
    Let's say you have a 1st rate worth 200 points. Would 5 sloops worth 40 points stand any chance?

Assuming they try to outmaneuver the 1st rate and use one of their number to block LOS for the others to hide behind and emerge for cumulative suicidal close-in grape/musketry shots, trying to grapple/freeze the "big one" in place and even attempt boarding?

Likely the manouvering of the sloops would be too challenging to pull it off by themselves. But possibly one or two sloops might be sufficient to do the "freezing" while other larger vessels then take advantage of it.

I concede, that all this is far away from any historical tactics. I am just thinking what could be attempted within the scope of the rules.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A charming battle!

Here's my solution for small ships.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.p...Weight-of-Shot

It strikes me that ships with a -2 also halve there crew damage.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    A charming battle!

Thank you for the Reputation!

And as so often, your Weight of Shot approach is an interesting idea.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

And my thanks for Reputation to you as well, Shadow Dragon.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    A charming battle!

Good idea Dobbs. That means we can have a meaningful contest between a couple of Luggers without it being all over in minutes.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    And my thanks for Reputation to you as well, Shadow Dragon.

Lt. Bush
    You are most welcome, Lt Bush.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Great AAR Lt. Bush!

As far as Dobbs' "Weight of Shot" rules are concerned, they're EXCELLENT and strongly recommended! I've been using them for years.

When it comes to crew size, I generally reduce the burden by half (rounded up for most, but rounded down for Brits due to their usually smaller crew strengths) when a ship's hands reaches "2". I also award a +1 per higher rate difference between opposing ships. For example:

Montagne 1st Rate with a burden of "6" vs. HMS Zealous 3rd Rate with a burden of "5" would yield a "8" (6 + 2 Rate difference) vs. "5".
    If the HMS Zealous' Hands were down to "2", its boarding strength would be reduced to "2" (5 x 1/2 = 2 1/2 rounded down).
    If, on the other hand, the Montagne's Hands were down to 2, its boarding strength would be reduced to "5" (6 x 1/2 = 3 + 2 Rate difference).

Granted, it's abstract; but then almost all of the combat in this game is abstract. The main thing is, it works and it's simple.

May the wind always come up from behind you!

Mike

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you on this subject Mike. I agree with your feelings about Dobb's and the shot. I have been trying to justify the effect of guns mounted in fortifications with those carried by ships and the effective of weight differences plus the strengths of those fortifications when attacked by ships. From my reading it seems that the land based batteries were much to be feared even if only an emplaced field battery was involved. The forts Ares have seemto be sadly under strength in this respect even though large Citadel would sport anything up to and beyond 48 pounders. I am trying to sort out a suitable strength and firepower for my forts at Copenhagen presently with the understanding that three Frigates and a couple of Gunboats managed to supress it during the battle. Although the fort is known to have been armed with sixty odd guns no mention of caliber is given so getting a ballance is proving interesting.

Your solution to crew sizes is also one which I commend. Numbers for boarding actions have always given me some qualms, although I have offered myself the sop that the better trained British crews could punch above their weight when taking on the French or Spanish, However, this fudge will not hold water when it comes to the ships of the USA, and I suspect even the Dutch, so your method is one which I shall adopt forthwith.
    Thanks for posting this.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by MWBell View Post
    Great AAR Lt. Bush!

As far as Dobbs' "Weight of Shot" rules are concerned, they're EXCELLENT and strongly recommended! I've been using them for years.

When it comes to crew size, I generally reduce the burden by half (rounded up for most, but rounded down for Brits due to their usually smaller crew strengths) when a ship's hands reaches "2". I also award a +1 per higher rate difference between opposing ships. For example:

Montagne 1st Rate with a burden of "6" vs. HMS Zealous 3rd Rate with a burden of "5" would yield a "8" (6 + 2 Rate difference) vs. "5".
    If the HMS Zealous' Hands were down to "2", its boarding strength would be reduced to "2" (5 x 1/2 = 2 1/2 rounded down).
    If, on the other hand, the Montagne's Hands were down to 2, its boarding strength would be reduced to "5" (6 x 1/2 = 3 + 2 Rate difference).

Granted, it's abstract; but then almost all of the combat in this game is abstract. The main thing is, it works and it's simple.

May the wind always come up from behind you!

Mike

Nothing better than to listen to the old tars!

Looking at Mr. Dobbs "Weight of Shot" rule and your Crew Size Boarding formula, it appears to be just what the doctor ordered...

I plan to use both rules as soon as I (and my fellow players) are a little more used to the rules - we've just used the Advanced Rules for the first time in our last engagement.

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I have been trying to justify the effect of guns mounted in fortifications with those carried by ships and the effective of weight differences plus the strengths of those fortifications when attacked by ships. From my reading it seems that the land based batteries were much to be feared even if only an emplaced field battery was involved. The forts Ares have seemto be sadly under strength in this respect even though large Citadel would sport anything up to and beyond 48 pounders.
    Rob.
    Maybe the strength of the fortifications by ARES were "design for effect" rather than having a focus on historical accuracy.

If historically a number of frigates and gunboat were sufficient to suppress a certain coastal battery, then this could only be reflected within the rules framework of SoG with great difficulties.

I assume that most SoG games will not exceed 6 or maybe eight ships. The presence of a coastal battery on the playing area means that we have a "fixed" target, i.e. it is only the enemy ships that can move to engage it. To do so, these ships can only move in a restricted part of the playing area. As far as my - admittedly still very limited - experience goes, this is prone to collisions and other sorts of awkwardness.

So possibly, the lack of (historical) punch of the ARES coastal batteries may have been intentional for the sake of better playability?

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Some things that I've considered for fort based artillery are 1) a lower broadside strength per gun total based on the idea that the guns are farther apart than on a ship and therefore less able to concentrate fire. 2) firing every third turn to reflect bigger guns and less training. 3) large Burden for forts, but a smaller number of overall damage boxes. 4) internal goodies affected by critical hits that impact functionality.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 04-04-2023 at 07:00.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With that in mind Captain Kiwi popped over to help with a trial run of three Frigates of the same size as those which took part against the Trekrona Fort.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Frigates close in.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Andy makes a slight Westing to bring his leading Frigate within range of the Fort.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:23.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

the sixteen guns on one face of the fort open with a savage mauling of Terpschore.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:23.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Her reply is less impressive, but note the high rate of attrition amongst her gunners from flying shards?
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:24.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the Frigates plow on Terpschore now comes under fire from the battery in the main blockhouse.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The second ship now HMS Sybille now gets into the action and bombards the reloading guns without a reposte.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:24.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The third Frigate now also in range plasters the fort. Again note the attrition amongst the gunners.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Even Terpschore gets off another few shots whilst the forts gunners are struggling to load their oversized guns.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At this intermediate phase of the battle the three Frigates have caused this much damage to the fort.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:38.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now in the most advantagous position with all three Frigates only under fire from two faces of the fort Andy drops anchor with his three Frigates.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:37.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

HMS Bacchante now takes its first return fire from the reloaded fort.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

at th same time Sybille returns fire.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Followed by Bucchante.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And Terpschore

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The fort now replies again seeking to damage the 38 gun Bucchante still further, but without much success.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once more Sybelle gives a good account of herself. This time causing a fire to break out near one of the forts magazines.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:36.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Alull in the firing now takes place whilst all protagonists reload, AND THE fORTS FEW REMAINING TROOPS SET ABOUT CONTAINING THE FIRE!
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:35.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The now reloaded Bucchante now fires again.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:47.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Swiftly followed by Terpschore who has the honour to deliver what proves to be the Coup de grace to the fort by setting yet another fire.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Forts main battery replies and damage is done to Terpschore but too little too late to influence the outcome.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:47.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

More fire is returned by Sybille which causes sufficient casualties amongst the garrison to prevent the further loading of guns as the remaining men are trying to put out the fires.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the blaze gathers strength the fires rage out of control.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:34.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is now time to invoke the explosion rule so the four chits are placed and shuffled.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:46.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Andy draws the explosion card and the battle is resolved in the most spectacular way.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Better end with a bang than a wimper, as the fort would have burned on anyway with too few men to put out both fires in time to save it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

THE BUTCHER'S BILL.

The whole shooting match took just over the hour, and I later ran another simulation myself using continuous fire rules for the Frigates with very similar results, save the fire and explosion.
    The second trial also strangly ran out of troops befor significant damage had been done to the structure of the fort, soi I'm quite pleased with the stats we chose.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2023 at 13:33.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

A very interesting action and AAR. Very nicely arranged and pleasing to the eye.

At first glance it seems that the "sweet spots" to take out a fort are

a) Fires
    Because the number of actions a fort can take are less then four from the outset and thus after having taken some damage reducing the number of actions available to the fort by one, a Fire with the necessity to put it out will render the fort with not enough actions to dish out damage to the attacking ships with its batteries.

b) Crew Damage
    Despite a fort's walls being much thicker and resilient than those of a ship, this is not reflected by the game mechanism by reducing the chances of causing crew damage to the fort. At the same time the "burthen" of the fort is higher than those of the largest ships. This means that "death by lack of crew" will become more likely than "death by structural damage". The same seems to be true for the larger ships in SoG. The latter observation, though, is based only on marginal personal gaming experience, so I might be mistaken.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Despite your lack of experience Lt. you have very astutely come to much the same conclusion as myself and the good Captain Kiwi. We can only assume the position that the guns themselves in their revetments were taken down or damaged thus causing the rapid decline in fire power.
    Luck seemed to play a part in both trials re the attrition of men as it is often the ships which take more damage than crew in most of our games unless a boarding action or close action with grapeshot is involved.
    All the action in our game was at long range and thus used only A damage chits.
    No heated shot was employed at the fort as there is no evidence to suggest its use in the actual battle.
    Rob.

it seems to me that a factor affecting this fort is the lack of a height advantage. In other words, being close to water level it is easier for the ships to hit and damage with a flat trajectory. Forts situated on a promontory seem to have been a more difficult target.

It has been a while since I read up on the battle, but I recall that Nelson did assign a frigate squadron to deal with the harbour forts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite correct Eric. There were also several gun boats and bombs assigned but For the sake of a simple assessment I restricted this to just the three Frigates involved.

Rob.