Thread: AAR - Frigate Action north of Algiers at 38°13'32“N and 2°41'54“E, 5th of March

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    And my thanks for Reputation to you as well, Shadow Dragon.

Lt. Bush
    You are most welcome, Lt Bush.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Great AAR Lt. Bush!

As far as Dobbs' "Weight of Shot" rules are concerned, they're EXCELLENT and strongly recommended! I've been using them for years.

When it comes to crew size, I generally reduce the burden by half (rounded up for most, but rounded down for Brits due to their usually smaller crew strengths) when a ship's hands reaches "2". I also award a +1 per higher rate difference between opposing ships. For example:

Montagne 1st Rate with a burden of "6" vs. HMS Zealous 3rd Rate with a burden of "5" would yield a "8" (6 + 2 Rate difference) vs. "5".
    If the HMS Zealous' Hands were down to "2", its boarding strength would be reduced to "2" (5 x 1/2 = 2 1/2 rounded down).
    If, on the other hand, the Montagne's Hands were down to 2, its boarding strength would be reduced to "5" (6 x 1/2 = 3 + 2 Rate difference).

Granted, it's abstract; but then almost all of the combat in this game is abstract. The main thing is, it works and it's simple.

May the wind always come up from behind you!

Mike

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you on this subject Mike. I agree with your feelings about Dobb's and the shot. I have been trying to justify the effect of guns mounted in fortifications with those carried by ships and the effective of weight differences plus the strengths of those fortifications when attacked by ships. From my reading it seems that the land based batteries were much to be feared even if only an emplaced field battery was involved. The forts Ares have seemto be sadly under strength in this respect even though large Citadel would sport anything up to and beyond 48 pounders. I am trying to sort out a suitable strength and firepower for my forts at Copenhagen presently with the understanding that three Frigates and a couple of Gunboats managed to supress it during the battle. Although the fort is known to have been armed with sixty odd guns no mention of caliber is given so getting a ballance is proving interesting.

Your solution to crew sizes is also one which I commend. Numbers for boarding actions have always given me some qualms, although I have offered myself the sop that the better trained British crews could punch above their weight when taking on the French or Spanish, However, this fudge will not hold water when it comes to the ships of the USA, and I suspect even the Dutch, so your method is one which I shall adopt forthwith.
    Thanks for posting this.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I have been trying to justify the effect of guns mounted in fortifications with those carried by ships and the effective of weight differences plus the strengths of those fortifications when attacked by ships. From my reading it seems that the land based batteries were much to be feared even if only an emplaced field battery was involved. The forts Ares have seemto be sadly under strength in this respect even though large Citadel would sport anything up to and beyond 48 pounders.
    Rob.
    Maybe the strength of the fortifications by ARES were "design for effect" rather than having a focus on historical accuracy.

If historically a number of frigates and gunboat were sufficient to suppress a certain coastal battery, then this could only be reflected within the rules framework of SoG with great difficulties.

I assume that most SoG games will not exceed 6 or maybe eight ships. The presence of a coastal battery on the playing area means that we have a "fixed" target, i.e. it is only the enemy ships that can move to engage it. To do so, these ships can only move in a restricted part of the playing area. As far as my - admittedly still very limited - experience goes, this is prone to collisions and other sorts of awkwardness.

So possibly, the lack of (historical) punch of the ARES coastal batteries may have been intentional for the sake of better playability?

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by MWBell View Post
    Great AAR Lt. Bush!

As far as Dobbs' "Weight of Shot" rules are concerned, they're EXCELLENT and strongly recommended! I've been using them for years.

When it comes to crew size, I generally reduce the burden by half (rounded up for most, but rounded down for Brits due to their usually smaller crew strengths) when a ship's hands reaches "2". I also award a +1 per higher rate difference between opposing ships. For example:

Montagne 1st Rate with a burden of "6" vs. HMS Zealous 3rd Rate with a burden of "5" would yield a "8" (6 + 2 Rate difference) vs. "5".
    If the HMS Zealous' Hands were down to "2", its boarding strength would be reduced to "2" (5 x 1/2 = 2 1/2 rounded down).
    If, on the other hand, the Montagne's Hands were down to 2, its boarding strength would be reduced to "5" (6 x 1/2 = 3 + 2 Rate difference).

Granted, it's abstract; but then almost all of the combat in this game is abstract. The main thing is, it works and it's simple.

May the wind always come up from behind you!

Mike

Nothing better than to listen to the old tars!

Looking at Mr. Dobbs "Weight of Shot" rule and your Crew Size Boarding formula, it appears to be just what the doctor ordered...

I plan to use both rules as soon as I (and my fellow players) are a little more used to the rules - we've just used the Advanced Rules for the first time in our last engagement.

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.