Thread: Counter Clipping - May I introduce an uncommon insanity?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Default Counter Clipping - May I introduce an uncommon insanity?

Gentlemen,

I have admired the handiwork of some of you enhancing ship models, creating terrain, etc. in the Chippy Shop section.
    However, it is not only ships and terrain which are part of SoG, but also a generous amount of cardboard counters.

I do acknowledge the men's entitlement to their tot of grog, however, the drunkenness of some of some sailors is an issue in almost any ship of the Navy. Despite the men being routinely read the Articles of War to remind them of their duties, some only seem to come to their sense after a number of lashes. Frequent use of the cat, as justified as it may be, can yet make for an unhappy ship.

As a conscientious officer, I feel obliged to antagonize the men succumbing to spirits by turning their attentions to more worthwile activities, thus addressing several issues at once.

Generally, the men happily indulge in the carving of pipes and other things from wood and bone while off duty on the fo'c'scle, but some lack the aptitude for such an occupation going as far as to maladroitly cut themselves.

While many landlubbers will just punch the counters and use them as they are, old salts know their value and how to treat them. A contraption known as the Oregon Laminations Deluxe Corner Rounder (C006) will allow anyone to provide each SoG counter with entirely shipshape round corners.

The following draft shows such a device. Please note the eraser attached to one of the handles. This enhancement has been devised by my humble self to lessen material fatigue which might otherwise cause a handle to break after the clipping of a score thousand counters.

Name:  Oregon clipper.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  30.5 KB

Please observe the apparel of a set of counters before and after treatment for comparison.

Name:  Clipped counters.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  52.7 KB

Following the below link, you can observe an old hand working with an Orgeon clipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob9FBTwenNM

There are 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm variants of the tool. It is a matter of taste, which type might be most fit for SoG counters. I have used the 2mm variant, originally for counters of 1/2" and 5/8" size. The below sketch will provide an impression of the different outcomes depending on the type:

Name:  Sizes.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  22.8 KB

Those who ambitiously engage in prolonged clipping efforts without prior training or using the wrong technique might experience tenosynovitis. The way how you handle the clipper makes all the difference, on which I could advise if need be.

I hope that these elaborations have introduced a new ideas on how to enhance the performance of our sailors and our ships in the service of the King:

Most humbly yours,
    Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another very useful bit of information Lt. Bush.
    I have a corner clipper but only for the size for the ship cards and decks. This small one looks a splendid bit of kit for those with the time to invest. I can see how it will prolong chit life and stop that dog eared look after some prolonged use.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Another very useful bit of information Lt. Bush.
    I have a corner clipper but only for the size for the ship cards and decks. This small one looks a splendid bit of kit for those with the time to invest. I can see how it will prolong chit life and stop that dog eared look after some prolonged use.

Rob.
    This one will clip basically any size of cardboard. But for one counter, you need to clip four times, of course. The millimeter designation describes the size of the corner which will be rounded.

I believe this clipper has been first developed for credit-card type things. But I was flabbergasted when I saw such an Oregon tool used by German civil service with a special inset to cut out the picture which I had to turn in when getting a new passport.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The leading question now Lt. is who sells them?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

The leading question now Lt. is who sells them?
    Rob.
    Well, my best advice is to take the time for a little search in the web.

I will provide a couple of links. You will see that prices vary wildly.

Then, I suppose that you are based in the UK, which is now outside the EU, so EU vendors might cost you extra customs duties while they could be better with regard to shipping.

I believe that the company who makes them is based in Canada. I have no idea what customs would be due for shipments from Canada to the UK or what shipment-cost might be.

Finally, there will be some vendors around in the UK somewhere.

Here are the links:

original company website (for the 2.0mm and 2.5mm variants), basic price 67.11 $ (Canadian or US?)

http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-2MM_2...h_Rounder.html
    http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-2-5MM...h_Rounder.html

A vendor in Germany (2.5mm variant) - basic price 83.79 €:

https://ugg2nd.de/Verfuegbar/Corner-...xe-2-5-mm.html

Amazon Germany (2.5mm variant) - basic price 134,00 €, which is WAY too expensive!

https://www.amazon.de/Oregon-Laminat.../dp/B00G08PEXO

You see why it is worthwhile to search for yourself. A search query could be:

Oregon Laminations Corner Cutter C006

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Lt. At that price I'll give it a miss.
    Did the ship mats arrive in your in box OK?

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Thanks Lt. At that price I'll give it a miss.
    Did the ship mats arrive in your in box OK?

Rob.
    Yes, they did. I received 6 Emails. A ship mat example & damage add on and numerous forts and batteries.
    Thank you, Rob.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad to be of service Lt. Even after reducing them the Mb was so large that I could only send two at a time of some, hence the number of E-mails,

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I am much obliged, Admiral.

The hold of my email inbox was almost filled to capacity, but now the cargo has been neatly stowed away.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My signals Lt, refused to send some of the larger ones in one hoist Lt. Bush. Gave me some rubbish about needing to use Poppham's signal book to reduce the number of flags needed for transmission.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I can report, that the clipping of my counters it about half way completed.
    Next in queue are the Damage Counters A through E.
    After that, I will see if I am going to clip the ships' damage tracks and Ship Mats.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Clipping complete. That went well in just one evening.

A couple of hundred counters of SoG are a much more pleasant mission than the roughly 25,000 I did for ASL.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    Clipping complete. That went well in just one evening.

A couple of hundred counters of SoG are a much more pleasant mission than the roughly 25,000 I did for ASL.

Lt. Bush
    Well done Lt. I bet you had wrist ache after that, even with your magic machine. Have an extra tot sir. I may even join you. Just reading your log has tired me out.

Bligh.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I must admit to not thinking of rounding the corners of the chits, it may well be worth looking into this tool

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I must admit to not thinking of rounding the corners of the chits, it may well be worth looking into this tool
    Captain,

I may entrust to you, that I harbor a far more eclectic idea: You might call me insane, but I am thinking of clipping entire ships, so that their hull cuts through the waves and that they can sail with hitherto unheard of speed. But maybe that generous extra tot of grog bestowed upon me by the Admiral is just going to my head...

Lt. Duff
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sheer madness Mr. Bush!
    Next you will be suggesting that vessels can divest themselves entirely of sails and progress through the oceans powered by only these new fangled steam contraptions similar to that fire breathing dragon on the river Clyde. It is sheer humbug sir. I strongly suspect sir that rather than taking an extra tot of the Jamaica you have been indulging in that strange green liqueur manufactured by the French called Absinth. I strongly suggest that you desist from that obnoxious habit before it addles your brain even more sir.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Sheer madness Mr. Bush!
    Next you will be suggesting that vessels can divest themselves entirely of sails and progress through the oceans powered by only these new fangled steam contraptions similar to that fire breathing dragon on the river Clyde. It is sheer humbug sir. I strongly suspect sir that rather than taking an extra tot of the Jamaica you have been indulging in that strange green liqueur manufactured by the French called Absinth. I strongly suggest that you desist from that obnoxious habit before it addles your brain even more sir.

Bligh.
    My sincere apologies, Admiral. I have let my thoughts being carried away.
    Never will I touch this French spirit, though. All things French have to be regarded with extreme reserve, spirits or otherwise, like that waving of a kerchif by a French Maidemoselle in a recent action, which led to such fateful consequences...

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite correct Lt. We must keep anything French at arms length, especially Maidemoselles carrying kerchifs.

Carry on Mr Bush.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

After unexpectedly being able to secure two sets of extra Ship Mats at SPIEL games fair in Essen at the ARES booth, I immediately set myself to diligently clipping the counters and stowing them away.

I can report that I am now in the state to carry out actions involving 12 ships.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I might add, that I came across a Frenchman at the ARES booth whom I caught red handed in the attempt to covertly purchase a vessel of the Royal Navy. What an outrageous act!

I threatened to challenge him to a duel on the spot. He absconded within the instant to slink away and disappear into the crowd.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What an underhand manouver on his part. Obviously a man with no honour whatever Lt.

Bligh.