View Poll Results: How many ships for SoG do you own in 2023?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 5

2 10.00%
  • 5-10

1 5.00%
  • 11-25

5 25.00%
  • 26-40

0 0%
  • 41-60

3 15.00%
  • 61-85

2 10.00%
  • 86-120

1 5.00%
  • 121-250

5 25.00%
  • 251+

1 5.00%

Thread: How many Ships for SoG do you own in 2023?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default How many Ships for SoG do you own in 2023?

Near as I can figure, I'm standing at 55 for the moment.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-29-2023 at 07:34.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

70, if my Excel-File is correct.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

20 Ships in the old poll, 20 in this new one that seems to have been triggered by my entry into the old one.

This is going to be interesting.

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A few hundred , including RN , French and Spanish and recently US and some Med Xebecs.
    Also got a large number of hulls requiring paint and sails thanks to my 3d printer

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I declared a moratorium on buying new ships when I had 18 of them. The figure now stands at 54.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    A few hundred , including RN , French and Spanish and recently US and some Med Xebecs.
    Also got a large number of hulls requiring paint and sails thanks to my 3d printer
    A few hundred!!

I say! Apparently, you have somehow succeeded to raid the 'Silver Train' on its passage home from the Spanish Main to cover the cost for such a Navy.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just added up mine to a total of 187 with a few printed ones yet to paint. this exclude sinkin ships and ships on fire which must be about another ten or so.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Take a look at this thread Mr Bush, just to show you.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....=fleet+updated

Remembering this is from 2019

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Take a look at this thread Mr Bush, just to show you.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....=fleet+updated

Remembering this is from 2019

This is most impressive, Captain.

I wonder, how this fleet review would appear this year.

Any enemy would be pounded into submission in short order. This naval display of overwhelming power could not be challenged by any other fleet afloat on the surface of the seas.

Now... This brings another thought: What if there were submersible vessels that could somehow take on those ships from below?
    But after my recent rebuke by the Admiral of the notion of clipped ships to better cut through the waves, I will purse my lips.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I believe Mr. Bush that Captain Manley has been in talks with a Mr. Fulton about just such a possibility, but that the scheme was rejected by the Admiralty on the grounds that it was an ungentlemanly act to sneak up on unprepared foes. No one mentioned cutting out actions at night in the discussion!

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20181027_072608.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  20181026_163034.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  149.8 KB

Here's my interpretation of one of Mr Fulton's nefarious devices.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-09-2023 at 11:02.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

By Jove sir.
    What is that, a smoking bathtub!

Bligh.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Still "two of everything Ares except BHR, Constitution and Victory." I'm not counting any of my 3rd-party hulls until they're masted and in commission; right now they're buried in my storage unit after an unplanned short-notice move.

So...
    8/8 Starter
    8/8 (16) KS Exclusives
    16/16 (32) Wave 1A
    8/8 (40) Wave 1B
    24/24 (64) Wave 2
    24/24 (88) Wave 3
    23/23 (111) Wave 4
    2/2 (113) Specials

So a hundred and thirteen ships if memory serves.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 02-17-2023 at 11:34.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Still "two of everything except BHR, Constitution and Victory." I'm not counting any of my 3rd-party hulls until they're masted and in commission; right now they're buried in my storage unit after an unplanned short-notice move.
    What's your vote, DB?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    What's your vote, DB?
    86-120, until the yards reopen and I can get the Canadas, Ganges and pre-refit Victory into commission. I need to get the storage units emptied and stuff from them sorted out while I have empty space to work with, then I need to get the house re-unpacked before I can even think about a 3d printer and setting up workshop in the garage... which reminds me, I told the cleanup contractors to skip the garage we'd deal with it, so it's gonna be a while. I'll be VERY pleasantly surprised if I have anything down the ways and fitted out this time next year, more likely Ares will get THEIR next ships to sea before I do.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds as if your move was pretty hard going DB.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sounds as if your move was pretty hard going DB.

Rob.
    Considering that this house had been amassing packrat-age since the late 1960s, combined with a short-notice loss of lease on the studio... everything that was here previously has been stuffed into boxes and stacked in one bedroom. Right now I'm starting by trying to clear a backlog of stuff I've been warehousing for a small collector's club, see if I can get us from two 10x10's down to one. The garage itself can wait, the pantry between it and the house is where I'm aiming to set up my workbenches on the countertops. Right now my main workroom for getting things organized is the original dining room, which my grandmother had appropriated as her sewing room.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Soon, my fleet will increase by 4 to 24.

I ordered a second Starter Box, mostly for the Ship Mats and some extra counters. This will likely be enough for considerable time. Before more gear is accumulated, that which is present should be played.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

The Starter Box arrived, so my fleet is now at 24 ships, British and French exclusively. I paid 79 Euros inclusive of shipping for the box. Of what I have seen, this seems to be a reasonable price at this time.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like a very good buy Lt. Bush. That should let you get your feet wet at Squadron level at the least. I hve a few extra unwanted bits from the four starter sets I eventually ended up with, so if you feel you are short of any extra chits or maybe another wind indicator once you get going let me know. I also have some unwanted ship log cards, but unfortunately have extracted the chits for my own needs, but the logs are yours for the asking.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Looks like a very good buy Lt. Bush. That should let you get your feet wet at Squadron level at the least. I hve a few extra unwanted bits from the four starter sets I eventually ended up with, so if you feel you are short of any extra chits or maybe another wind indicator once you get going let me know. I also have some unwanted ship log cards, but unfortunately have extracted the chits for my own needs, but the logs are yours for the asking.

Rob.
    This is a generous offer, Admiral Bligh. Thank you.

Next time I have my round together - hopefully 5th or 18th of March - I will evaluate the state of affairs with the others. I know that both of them have bought some Ship Packs, but I am not sure if they have also acquired Starter Boxes. I am pretty sure that at least one of them has. As I also have an extra counter set, probably we will be sufficiently equipped for the scope of game we are able to handle at this point.

If it turns out that we find ourselves in dire need, I know whom to turn to.

Cheers,
    Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230226_175536.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  250.0 KB

If these are the missing chits, I have 3 unused sets (probably 4 but couldn't pin down the 4th quickly). If there's a cheap way to send them across the Pond, then you can have them for the cost of shipping.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's a goldmine Dobbs. I have had to resort to printing my own sets of chips.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Name:  20230226_175536.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  250.0 KB

If these are the missing chits, I have 3 unused sets (probably 4 but couldn't pin down the 4th quickly). If there's a cheap way to send them across the Pond, then you can have them for the cost of shipping.

These are indeed those elusive specimen. Almost as rare as... the two-wattled cassowary!

It is a long time since I remitted money to the US but this should not be witchcraft.
    Looking at my banking-app for a transfer to the US it asks me for the following information:

Name, Address, IBAN, SWIFT/BIC or Fedwire Code/ABA-Code

If you tell me, what the shipping cost would be, I could remit the money and you could send after having received my payment.
    In case you wish to follow up, we can sort out further details via Private Messages.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230227_195534.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  374.3 KB

It turns out that I have 5 more complete sets of those chits, only punched out. Do you like them all, Mr Bush?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Incidentally these are some other things that I am trying to sell if any of them appeal, now would be the time with transatlantic shipping prices.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....-Sets-for-Sale

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....Decks-for-Sale

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It turns out that I have 5 more complete sets of those chits, only punched out. Do you like them all, Mr Bush?
    If Mr Bush does not want those, I am interested in them Dobbs. It will save me a lot of time on cutting out and printer ink.

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

22 for me.
    Hoping to keep it under 25 and not go bonkers like I have done with Wings, T & T and BSG.

Since most of my games will be some kind of solo I think that will be more than enough.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may well be right Pete. I have never sailed more than 12 a side in a solo game. It is only when you start a Chilean navy, Spanish, Swedish, US, Islamic and now Danish that suddenly yo are over the sixty mark and adding merchantmen for each nation, bls gun boats, bomb ketches etc that it really gets out of hand. Next the Dutch!
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

No such thing as enough, I have a few ships myself and getting more has never done me any harm at all…..twitch, twitch

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I have visited SPIEL games fair in Essen this week, were ARES had a large booth. Not being able to resist, my fleet grew by 6 ships to the number of 30. The new ships are HMS Victory, USS Constitution, Bonhomme Richard, Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias, and Impérial.

The price was 15, 20, and 25 Euros for small, large, and 'special' ships respectively, with a 'buy two, get one free' offer extending to any articles. Starter Boxes were available for 70 Euros. I even found and immediately secured two sets of the elusive and rare extra Ship Mats and rounded this off with a set of Damage Counter Bags.

Quite a haul...

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

I have got this collection for a few years but I have just started playing.
    Really fond of the game system and rules.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

looks as though you have sufficient ships to cover a good few scenarios there Simon.
    I suggest that you have a good look at some of our campaign AARs and this should give you a series of games that you could try out for yourself. If you post your results it will count towards a medal just like it does on the Drome.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A bit over a hundred Sails of Glory ships and about 50 3D-printed and painted ships, mainly Spanish and Swedish ships.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

When I add it all up, there are over 230.
    116 original, 33 finished Langton models and wrecks and 85 unfinished 3D printed hulls.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Considerably more once Henry's KS closes and I get a 3d-printer system set up.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe