Thread: "I Saw 3 Ships..." Part 1

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default "I Saw 3 Ships..." Part 1

A belated Happy New Year to everyone!!!

I haven't posted in quite a while, but the bride and I played a modified rematch of the last game I'd posted on this site and thought it might be worth sharing. As in the past, the following is from an "album" in her Facebook page. We played it right after Christmas (you may even see evidence of our tree in a picture or two) and my wife commanded a squadron of three ships, hence the title. I apologize in advance for the enormous images which make it difficult to read the captions beneath them; I can't figure out how to resize them which caused me to bump up the size of the text as well. Anyway, that being said, ENJOY!

"I Saw Three Ships ..." ala Sails of Glory: part 1

Mike and i played a game a year or so ago that we felt needed to be revisited and, after the recent holidays, we did so...even if we DID modify its scope a bit. following is my Captain's Log...ENJOY!

Name:  02_IMG_1007(s).jpg
Views: 242
Size:  694.3 KB

a new year, a sloppy day, so why not play a game. hey, why not revisit Sails of Glory...

Name:  03_IMG_3323(s).jpg
Views: 236
Size:  578.5 KB

...and try out Mike's new double-sided battle mat. one side is "dark water", the reverse is "Caribbean"

Name:  04a_IMG_1013(s).jpg
Views: 233
Size:  772.1 KB

...this is our starting setup. i command a squadron of three British 74s while Mike commands a 74 as well as a giant First Rate (all Ships of the Line), which he needs to exit off the "Far Side of the World" ;) to win....as for me, i "just" have to stop him...

Name:  05_IMG_1016_mod_edited-1(s).jpg
Views: 235
Size:  611.3 KB

as usual, we share a beverage to start the game (this time a glass of Madeira)!

Name:  06_IMG_1009(s).jpg
Views: 236
Size:  514.0 KB

...this is my flagship, the 74 gun HMS BELLona ;)...

Name:  07_IMG_1014(s).jpg
Views: 228
Size:  473.1 KB

...and this is Mike's, the 118 gun Montagne.

Name:  08_IMG_1019_mod(s).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  672.5 KB

after a few moves i decide to veer my squadron toward Mike's...

Name:  09_IMG_1021_mod(s).jpg
Views: 224
Size:  606.4 KB

...in an attempt to block his way. this is tricky because Mike has the weather gage and i have to carefully time my crossing his path without losing any wind

Name:  10_IMG_1023_mod(s).jpg
Views: 230
Size:  627.4 KB

...finally, i've reached a point where i can anticipate "crossing his T"...but rather than wait for a rake, my HMS Zealous will take a quick shot at his Redoubtable...the rest of my squadron clean up after me

Name:  11_IMG_1026(s).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  639.3 KB

first blood! and, all things considered, it's actually a rather devastating broadside for long range...

Name:  14_IMG_1027(s).jpg
Views: 225
Size:  722.4 KB

...and here's its effect: 3 hull damage, 2 crew hits, rudder damage, a broken mast, sail damage and, worst of all, 2 LEAKS! YAY!!! :D

Name:  13_IMG_1028(s).jpg
Views: 225
Size:  554.0 KB

...oh no! my mother urgently needs help with something...talk about being saved by the bell!!! :(

Name:  14a_IMG_3327_mod(s).jpg
Views: 158
Size:  413.8 KB

but that's alright, he's not going to get out of this game THAT easily...this table stays AS IS overnight!!!

i'll be back to share the continuation of our high seas adventure REAL SOON!!!

Unfortunately, that's as far as "Part 1" of THIS story goes. However, it DOES have an immediate sequel with all the excitement of a clash between formidable ships of the line which finally does come to a conclusion. But rather than post it here and overburden this thread, I'll post it separately (as she originally did) in a few days. So keep a watch on the lookout for more.

Cheers!!!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Welcome back, Michael! Good to see your ships in action again.

I will mention that the way you are holding the new playing mat is rather suggestive of a skimpy bathing suit.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to have you back in the safety of the Anchorage Mike. After that exciting opening broadside I look forward to part two from this action. Meantime here is a broadside from my Rep gun to even up the odds, although I feel that your good lady should also get one for her rendition of the AAR. She should join us here and then we could give her the honours to which she is entitled for these Facebook posts.

Where did you find that double sided mat? It's just the ticket for the different scenarios around the globe.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Welcome back, Michael! Good to see your ships in action again.

I will mention that the way you are holding the new playing mat is rather suggestive of a skimpy bathing suit.
    OMG! Believe me, you definitely would NOT want to see ME in such a bathing suit!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good to have you back in the safety of the Anchorage Mike. After that exciting opening broadside I look forward to part two from this action. Meantime here is a broadside from my Rep gun to even up the odds, although I feel that your good lady should also get one for her rendition of the AAR. She should join us here and then we could give her the honours to which she is entitled for these Facebook posts.

Where did you find that double sided mat? It's just the ticket for the different scenarios around the globe.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob for your greetings and the reps. I'll be posting the remainder of the game in the next few days. This was actually a refresher for the two of us before we host a friend this weekend who's interested in trying the TRUE full-strength replay of the last one referred to.

As far as the double sided mat is concerned, I ordered it from a company called "Cigar Box". They manufacture numerous such mats in various sizes and scales, either single- or double-sided. They can be rolled, folded (or even used as a warm, fuzzy BLANKET!) and are machine washable. The beauty is they can be draped over anything to add dimension for terrain.

Mike

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the rapid response about the mats. Sounds as if they would also be good at soaking up any drinks spilt on the playing surface by the participating captains.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Nice opening sequence of pictures. I like the idea of your damage mats, that will make it much easier to handle everything. Look forward to seeing how the battle plays out.
    Cheers

Nice AAR Mike. Looking forward to reading the outcome. One guy in my gaming group has about 10 different Cigar Box mats!