Thread: The Return - Hopefully AAR

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Default The Return - Hopefully AAR

HMS Africa v Montagne

Baptiste it’s good to see you this evening, it’s been so long since I was in Martine’s bar I can barely remember the year of the brandy I drink. Is that age or forgetfulness or just lack of usage…. What was it…..ahhh 98 now I remember, be a good fellow and order me a large glass she will still have a small stash hidden away from you rif raf.

That’s remarkably kind of you Baptiste, thank you from the bottom of my heart….muuum that tastes like the nectar of the Gods, they are so lucky to be able to live eternally and drink the likes of the 98 brandy forever.

You know I feel the cold hand of Death on my shoulder more these days than ever I used to, and I swear on my old mother’s grave, that hill gets steeper each winter. But enough of that, I see your daughter Hermione sat by the fire, see how it sparkles in her eyes, she takes after her mother, it’s lucky for her that she doesn’t favour your looks Baptiste. No don’t look so angry, you are a man of the soil, you have your station in life, humble though it may be, but you should be proud of your daughter, come let us join her, I have a story to recount.

Oh dear, that’s Pierre the block head walking over, he should realise he’s more suited to a pigs ear than a silk purse but no matter, I’m sure eventually it will penetrate that thick skull of his.

Well Mademoiselle it’s a pleasure to see you again, please don’t stand, oh I see. That’s so kind of you to reserve for me the fireside seat next to you, just as long as I don’t have to sit next to Pierre life is good. Not as good as the warmth from this fire, or from the 98, or indeed if I may be so bold, at the pleasure of seeing you here after so many months.
    I was only thinking of you this morning when I woke and wondering if you might be interested in the time I was standing on the Quarter deck of a 64 gun Rosbif ship. Her Bulldog of a Captain had the temerity to attack one of our 1st Rates, the Montagne. You would… well that’s quite understandable my dear and if your Father could just refill my glass I might perhaps be persuaded to recount the story to you.

Name:  01 P1490887.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  48.2 KB
    I was on the deck of HMS Africa, happy to be at sea but not happy to be on a Rosbif ship even is she had good strong clean lines. Why I was there is a long story. What do you mean Pierre…..no, not all of my stories are long, some end quickly when I twist the ear of an impudent listener, now be quiet you foolish young man.

Name:  02 P1490885.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  62.1 KB
    Africa was hunting one of our 1st Rate Ships, some how she had received news that Montagne was anchored in a secluded bay making repairs after the recent storm and would be vulnerable to a surprise attack.

Name:  03 P1490883.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  51.2 KB
    The bay was surrounded by a ring of small islands, the passage between each island looked quite tight but the wind was blowing from the SW and so that should make getting in easier but getting out again might be a more difficult proposition.

Name:  04 P1490890.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  70.0 KB
    The Captain of the Africa was a brute; he kept his crew in line by continuous use of the lash. I could see some of his officers disapproved of his methods but on this ship, he held the power of life and death. His 1st Lieutenant was a worm of a man and grovelled to the Captain unceasingly.
    I could see why, the man was an idiot; he had no finesse when judging the interplay between wind, sails and tide and he needed the Captains good grace to continue in his post. Yes Hermione you are quite right, a seaman needs an instinct for these things. He is at one with the ship and the elements, but it takes a special kind of man to achieve this perfection but as you know, I am a good example of this rare breed men, there are not many sailors such as Jean le Vagabond.

The 1st Lieutenant selected a gap between 2 islands to enter the bay but due to his ineptitude we almost ran aground at the beginning of the action. He left the order to turn to Starboard until it was almost too late. Then he bellowed at the Helmsman to put the wheel hard over, so as to avoid the nearest island, that of course turned us too quickly, putting the wind on our stern and naturally we picked up speed.

Name:  05 P1490891.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  70.3 KB
    So much speed, that we turned right through 270’.

The Captain had ordered him to sail in front of Montagne’s bow so they could fire a raking broadside. The starboard cannon had been loaded with double shot so the opening fusillade would be devastating but because of this ill judged manoeuvre they had presented their larboard side to the Montagne.

The Captain commanded the cannon to fire and he looked pleased with himself when the balls hit home but it was a weak effort compared with the one planned.

Name:  06 P1490894.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  52.7 KB
    On shore winds can be fickle at this time of day, the land hasn’t really heated up enough to provide sufficient updraft so the wind shifted and Montagne swung on her anchor. I could see the men sweating at the capstan trying to pull the huge weight of the ship forward towards her anchor, not helped at all by the fitful wind pushing them back.

Name:  07 P1490896.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  67.5 KB
    Sure enough the wind shifted again, driving Montagne back to her first location and the Africa was able to fire a second volley, but only from the larboard bow battery. Oh how the cocky British cheered but even at this stage I could see they were doomed.

Why don’t you understand Pierre? Did I not say they were sailing straight for the headland?

Perhaps not, sometimes I am a little forgetful these days.

Well due to their mismanagement of the sails that’s what they were doing. Here let me dip my finger in your beer and I can draw the situation on the table, you know how Martine gets upset if I use chalk on her table top. Don’t be ridiculous, I washed my hands not two days ago, of course they are clean.

There - that’s how the ships stood, and I see Hermione smile, she knows exactly what is going to happen.

Name:  08 P1490897.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  69.5 KB
    The Montagne had held her fire, and when the Africa turned hard to larboard to avoid the headland she received the full broadside of a 100 gun ship of the line, a raking broadside at that. I knew it was coming and also that because our practice is to aim high the cannon balls would sweep the deck.

I quickly stepped behind the Mizzen Mast in the hope that I could avoid the worst of the damage and watched as the men were cut down all around me. As you know if I was on my own Quarterdeck I would not have taken such an action, I set an example to my men and they love me for it, but there is no glory being killed by your own side in a fight.

A fire started but the crew knew their business, even if the Officers didn’t, and they soon had it under control.

I would have liked to jump overboard at this point and swim for shore, but I’d given my Parole and so as a man of honour I could do no such a thing.

Name:  09 P1490899.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  70.1 KB
    Due to their ineptitude and the 1st Lieutenants abysmal handling of the ship, Africa could not now sail across Montagnes bow. They had gone too far into the bay but had finally got the ship in position to fire the double shotted broadside, more by good luck than good judgement.
    Both ships fired a devastating broadside, they might not be able to cook but the British do know how to fight, the Montagne was taking a lot of damage. Fire broke out on the foredeck and men were manning the pumps, I could see water gushing out in a steady stream from the outflow pipe, and so they must have been holed as well as on fire.

Name:  10 P1490900.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  63.8 KB
    The Africa’s Captain had had enough and turned to make his escape. I could see that the anchor rode was almost straight down, the Montagne would soon be under sail, I suspect that they would already have raised some sail but were just too busy fighting the fire and repairing the damage to the hull and almost certainly reloading the larboard guns.
    This was going to be hot work, as Africa was going to be raked from the stern this time unless someone thought of a clever manoeuvre to avoid it.

Name:  11 P1490901.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  80.9 KB
    Which they did not.
    I’d stepped in front of the Mizzen Mast to avoid this but the firing was a weak affair and didn’t cause much damage. I knew then that Montagne must have been hurt badly but they had set sails and the anchor was just out of the water, they would almost certainly give chase.

Name:  12 P1490903.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  61.2 KB
    Africa’s Captain bellowed for full sails, just as the lieutenant ordered a course change. There was no coordination between them and the Africa shot forward with the wind abaft the Main Mast.

The Captain then bellowed to reduce sail when he realized what was happening, the men in the tops were getting confused, the helmsman didn’t get the order to turn to starboard until it was too late and the inevitable happened.

Name:  13 P1490905.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  64.8 KB
    Africa crashed onto the shoreline, the bow was stove in and badly holed, men were crushed by falling tackle’s and spars. The Captain was flung from the Quarter Deck right onto the Main Deck, he broke a few bones but not his thick head.

The damage was so extensive that the Captain of the Montagne ordered Africa set on fire and I watched saddened by the death of a good ship due to ineptitude.

The good news for France, is that I was released and returned to service, fighting the old enemy Britain.

My apologies Baptiste, I got so carried away reliving my past glories that I didn’t notice my glass was empty.

Be a good fellow and have it refilled and then I will make my way down that interminable hill to my bed.

Well it will come as no surprise that I was sailing the Africa. This was my first game for about a year and I thought a stationary opponent would help me get back into the swing of sailing ships. As you can see, I’ve lost none of my skill and acumen when it comes to making a complete mess of things, but I did enjoy it so hopefully more games are on the horizon.
    Cheers and a happy New Year
    Last edited by Vagabond; 12-31-2022 at 11:11.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to have you back on the Quarterdeck John, and to see just how the escape from the British is effected without any loss of honour on M/ Vagabonds part.
    I look forward with relish to his further adventures.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Well, of all things, can it be really? Yes, no, oh, hi, oh my eye... My mind may be wandering, but I confess I believe it is Old Jean le Vagabond, the most rodomontade of rodomontades.

Great to read another Capitaine Jean le Vagabond tale.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The adventures of Capitaine Vagabond always make for a great read! I'm counting on Martine's to have an ample supply of the '98, to keep the old man going.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-02-2023 at 17:14.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks guys, both for your comments and the Rep, they're very much appreciated. I'm hoping to get back into the 2016 campaign games, the 2015 ones were quite inspirational and gave some structure to otherwise random games.

I made a big mistake when reorganising my room by collecting all the ships together and putting them in an inaccessible cupboard. Only made inaccessible because I piled other things in front of the door.

The current plan is to build some display cases and fasten them to the wall, the upsides of this plan are obvious but the downside is that the Admiral (Mrs V) will see how large the collection has grown.
    C'est la vie.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 01-06-2023 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'm hoping to get back into the 1916 campaign games, the 1915 ones were quite inspirational and gave some structure to otherwise random games.
    Looking for the AAR with those 1915 dreadnoughts but I can't find them.

Happy New Year, John.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Looking for the AAR with those 1915 dreadnoughts but I can't find them.

Happy New Year, John.
    You've not looked hard enough, they're steaming along somewhere. When I find the link I'll post it.

Happy New Year to you as well, lets hope we get a few more Sails games under our belts this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    You've not looked hard enough, they're steaming along somewhere. When I find the link I'll post it.

Happy New Year to you as well, lets hope we get a few more Sails games under our belts this year.
    Got my first SoG game (2016 campaign, mission 1) of the year done yesterday.

I expect your 1915 AAR are obscured by smoke from those iron ships and wooden men, so, in the absence of an airship, a link would help.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Great AAR, I like the "adventurebook" story style. It's really fun to read .

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Got my first SoG game (2016 campaign, mission 1) of the year done yesterday.

I expect your 1915 AAR are obscured by smoke from those iron ships and wooden men, so, in the absence of an airship, a link would help.
    I finished mission 3 today, bit of a cheat because I skipped mission 2. I had seven 74's in a fairly confined space and I lost count of the collisions.

You'll be pleased to know that Lieutenant Vagabond serving on the Genereaux led a dashing boarding action. Well actually he led a prize crew aboard a British ship that had surrendered. Unfortunately just as he mounted the steps to the Quarter Deck to assume command, his prize started to break up and sink. It's his shortest command so far.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Great AAR, I like the "adventurebook" story style. It's really fun to read .

Thanks Achim, my reports are pretty hopless as a factual AAR but I enjoy the idea of this old Salt walking up the hill, somewhere in Provence to scrounge a drink, brag about his exploits and bore everyone in the bar.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am looking forward to reading this next one John.
    Remember to remind me when you complete five from the 2016 missons. You don't have to do the whole set for a year but if you do manage that let me know about this also.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-18-2023 at 09:24.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.