Thread: Nothing like it

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Nothing like it

On our way to Sydney after a day in Hobart yesterday. Seas are about 3 metres and the spray is flying past our balcony on level 7 of the beautiful Ovation of the Seas. The day is overcast and cool and we can feel the breeze as we have our balcony door open. There is nothing like being at sea. i know this is wooden men and iron ships territory but we just love cruising. Watching the sea and feeling its movement is the best thing in the world imho. On Wednesday we leave Sydney for northern waters, Vanuatu, Noumea and Fiji. The seas should be calmer and the weather warmer.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do have an enjoyable voyage Gary and please keep us informed of your exploits. It will help bring a little warmth into our lives here in the Old World. It is minus two here at the moment, and going down to minus five by Thursday.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Nice description of the sea state, Gary! How big is Ovation of the Seas?
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-13-2022 at 15:33.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hi Guys, The Ovation of the Seas is 168000 tons. There are over 4000 passengers onboard. We are on the second cruise of a back to back booking. The demographics are different with a much younger set this time than on the last cooler cruise.

Unfortunately Liz and I have both contracted Covid so are confined to our balcony cabin for the duration. C'est la vie.

We have been given the anti viral cocktail by the excellent doctor and get full cruise credit for a future cruise for the days in confinement. We are sitting out on the balcony for our meals enjoying the sight of Vanuatu and the warm pacific air. The tenders are busy ferrying folk ashore, they look like big fat yellow beetles. There are jet skis flitting about and making patterns amid much shrieking and laughter. I do not think any other isolation in the world could be this good.

I apologise to our northern friends and I do know the temperature up there is not very kind. We like to watch the Narrowboat that James built on youtube and he said it was minus 3 with a minus 6 due last night. Those are temperatures that few Aussies ever experience.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is tough luck Gary. I hope you both recover quickly.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's hoping for a quick recovery! Very nice of the line to give you a replacement cruise.

Your accommodations sound much better than being relegated to the orlop deck and the loblolly boys.

My cruising friends have advised me that should I ever want to cruise on a large ship like that, never get an inside cabin, it is not worth the savings!! Add Covid confinement to the list or reasons to get a nice balcony on a cruise ship!

Hope you are feeling better!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    My cruising friends have advised me that should I ever want to cruise on a large ship like that, never get an inside cabin, it is not worth the savings!! Add Covid confinement to the list or reasons to get a nice balcony on a cruise ship!

Hope you are feeling better!
    Pre Covid we have done many inside cabin trips and benefitted by going on 3 or 4 trips per year rather than 2. In fact the largest cabin we ever had was an inside one but we will not get one again. We are both getting a bit of cabin fever now after nearly a week of being confined to quarters. Not in the hold and down on the orlop deck as Dobbs said but with a balcony overlooking the sea and the breeze dusting us. I do not know how you real sailors manage with your tiny corks but I truly salute you. Meanwhile we limp ever closer to Sydney.

Good point on the savings aspects Gary. I didn't think of it that way.

Speaking of bobbing on a cork here is an example of what may be a "bucket list" cruise for me:

https://www.barkeuropa.com/our-voyag...wn-azores-2023

Although I wouldn't turn down one of the "luxury" sailing vessels cruising around the Carribean!!