Thread: Historical Scenarios

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Default Historical Scenarios

Is there any sort of "one stop shop" where there are standardized historical scenarios? I've perused the forums here and I've seen a number of discussions, but nothing standardized such that up front I can know the ships involved and other scenario details. In a book I saw reference to the 13 Oct 1796 battle between the HMS Terpsichore and the Spanish Mahonesa and it intrigued me since the Terpsichore is one of the ships in the SoG starter set. The Mahonesa was also produced by Ares so that's a historical scenario that might warrant writing up.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There may be such a thing, but all I have done Kirk is researched the most famous battles and produced them here.
    Most of the other information has been taken from books on the battle in question. You can find these in Historical discussions threads.
    Here is and example of Camperdown.
    https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...-of-Camperdown.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-25-2022 at 00:14.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Thanks Rob, you answered my question. I was hoping there was a repository of Ares created scenarios somewhere but it appears it's gamers like yourself who do the work to assemble all the info. Thanks again.

BTW, regarding Camperdown, it involved the Dutch however since there are no Dutch ships in SoG, how would one play such a scenario? Has someone done the research to note which Ares produced ships one would need to have as equivalents for the Dutch ships that aren't in the game? As an example, what Ares produced ship would one use to replicate the Dutch 74 Jupiter? Or, is it a case of buying/finishing non-Ares produced ships, such as 3D printed ships, to play a scenario such as Camperdown?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Kirk.
    I know Henry Turner has soime Dutch ships to print off, but the men to ask are Captain Duff or Dave Manley because they both do a lot of printing from his studio so may know more about the details. on your side of the pond Vol or DB may also be able to help you.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Kirk:

Years ago, I ran some historical scenarios at conventions and posted AARs here. The Battle of Cape Ortegal is a good one - 4 SoL per side and a couple of frigates. All are classes released by Ares IIRC. For battles where there are other ships I just used what comes closest. I also ran the Battle of Lissa - which is mostly frigates and one post ship for which I used a Swan and house rules for carronades. Someone did ship cards for the ships involved but I am not sure if they are still on the site.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Too bad Sails of Glory doesn't have a sister site similar to the one Wings of Glory has with Wings of Linen. It would be awesome to be able to go to a page, look up a ship, and see if anyone has created a SoG card for it.

Thanks for all the help guys. For now I'll look to see what scenarios I can play with ships I can purchase, but I may look to go the 3D printed route sometime in the future.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Hello Kirk,

I made shiplogs and charts for various ships. Printed out with the color printer and glued to gray cardboard with spray adhesive, cut out - done. Like the original. The ship cards too. You can often "help" yourself with similar models. You have to adopt the maneuver chart sets from other ships. PM me if you want material. No problem.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I will do is start a photo album if I can find out if Keith will give me access to the Files section.
    I have a lot of cards and ship bases etc for un-produced ships and I know that Captain Duff also has quite a few too. Don't expect this to be a quick fix though.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Oh no rush. I just enjoy perusing what's out there to see what's available. With Wings of Glory I've built some 1/144th scale kits and used the aircraft cards I found at Wings of Linen. For SoG I'll stick to the Ares produced ships/cards for the time being because they're still new to me and there are SO many I don't have. I'll need to remedy that by providing my wife a list of things she can get me for Christmas. First on the list may be the HMS Victory...