Thread: Communication

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Default Communication

If a friend and I captain two ships on the same side of a scenario, what sort of limitations are there on communications between ships of the same side? Also, historically, what sort of inter-ship communication was there during battles? Since this was before the days of radio or signal lamp, did they communicate using semaphore? If so, do I need to peruse eBay to find a couple sets of semaphore flags so I can communicate with my fellow captain?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

In the Royal Navy they communicated using flag hoists. They had a fairly good system but in the heat of battle with smoke everywhere it took a keen eyed officer to read any signals.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There are several takes on signals during a battle Kirk. You can assume tat each ship can read the command signals, and converse freely. however, that may mean that your opponents may be able to read your intentions by listening in, Or you can adopt our usual method of once the commander has outlined his plan of action, you may not converse unless you bring your ship within musket range of his. We have even tried simple signal books for each player and a set of flags on stands for the commanding officer to display. It is astounding how often even these are not noticed during a table top action. We have even employed a repeater ship standing off the main action to windward and conveying the signals. None of these systems are 100% but then neither was the real thing.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Kirk:

"Hoist Signals Aloft" is a simple set of add on rules for using signals. It was original design to complement "Fire as She Bears" fleet action rules. I used the original hard copy which came with colored wood cubes for signals. Now it is pdf for 1 USD but you need to get your cubes elsewhere.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product...-Signals-Aloft

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Heck, IIRC frequently in battle it was impossible to communicate just on the same gun deck, never mind ship to ship!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Thanks for all the input guys. When a couple friends and I get together in a couple months to play, we'll have to agree what can or can't be communicated between teammates.