Thread: Leaving The Game Field

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Default Leaving The Game Field

Since the starter set doesn't come with any sort of defined playing surface, I was wondering how strict folks are with regards to the rule on page 12 that says if any part of a ship exits the game field then it is considered eliminated/surrendered. I understand it's a game, but in reality there were no defined playing areas in the ocean. In a game I could see where a ship could block another into a corner or along an edge and get a considerable advantage that wouldn't exist in real life. This is just another case of me trying to wrap my head around the "game vs. simulation" issue. Thanks again.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I am very much a "floating boundaries " sort of guy. I don't know if I've ever played with the out of bounds/surrender rule.

What's more, I play that if you're dismasted, you don't have to surrender until your opponent positions themselves in a spot where you can't fire.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-11-2022 at 17:08.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Both of those rules make sense to me. I'll have to adopt them. Thanks so much for providing your input.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do things very similar to Dobbs. Depending on the scenario and the position of other ships. My rule is that if the said ship is not threatened by another ship it can return where it exited three moves later heading directly onto rthe playing surface at right angles. The delay is to give it time to come about. If threatened at close range or under fire from another ship when it exits the table it must take a full broadside from the other ship before returning. This in my opinion is punishment enough.
    As for masts, the ship may be surrendered by its player or fight on as a static battery until all fire power or crew are lost, or it is boarded and taken in the usual way.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

On my table, if more than half the base including the center post is still on the table, and it doesn't need help to avoid falling off, you're still good. If a move would put the centerpeg over the edge during the move and ends with the peg outside the ship is done, but as long as you end the move at "mostly on and no support needed" you're good.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kirk

Thanks for the input guys. So to paraphrase the famous sea captain Captain Barbossa; "The rule isn't a rule, it's more like a guideline".

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Some of us prefer to houserule a little more forgiving. :)

OTOH, if the move takes your ship over a shoal, not so much on the forgiveness here...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Our rule for this one DB is the ship can be warped off a shoal if after an entanglement draw it comes up as un-entangled. Launch ships boat, one move. Row out, one move. Deploy anchor, one move. Winch off, one move. Retrive boat and anchor, one move. Then you can get under way. Thus your penalty is a total of five moves, unless some vindictive soul comes along and sinks your ships boat in the meantime. This last action has not actually happened to us in any of our games, but never say never.

If you go on the rocks however, that is curtains for you.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Most of the time, our playing areas are just a little bigger - this also avoids the problem of driving off the playing area :-)

We handle driving from the playing field like DB.

It's a bit more difficult with dismasted ships. Just fighting like this is already a significant change / bending of the rules. After all, all sail damage / broken masts / damaged rudders ultimately have the aim of abandoning the ship.
    Disabling ships by deliberately dismasting opponents can also be a tactic. I have only "allowed" 1st Rate or ships where the Admiral is on board to continue fighting without masts.

But that belongs more in the house rules.