Thread: British 90-guns and 98-guns 2nd - Rate SotL

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Default British 90-guns and 98-guns 2nd - Rate SotL

Hallo Captains,

Since not much is happening in the German fleet forum anymore, I'll post my question here again.

I would like to correctly integrate my new printed 90 and 98 gun 2nd rate British ships of the line into the Sails of Glory system.

I would therefore be interested in how you classify or have classified the two classes:

After some study of the tonnage, armament, manning, dimensions, etc., both classes are of course close to each other.

Size is very similar, tonnage is about 10% lower, 750 vs. 850 crew, identical armament…

I would classify both classes as hull 6 ships.
    The 98-gun ships would have 60 points on the damage track (10 boxes), the 90-gun ships would have 54 points (9 boxes).
    I read somewhere that the 90-gun ships, like all British 2nd rates, were bad to control.
    Maybe they were hopelessly overloaded with armaments???
    Some of the ships were even rebuilt and lengthened without changing the armament. Probably to improve the sailing characteristics???

To have another noteworthy difference between the two classes, I would
    98-gun ships maneuver class H4 (like the 100-gun ships of the British) and the
    90-gun ships maneuver class H3 !!!
    The extended 90s could also have maneuver class H4.

For the team bar I would assume 4-4-3-3-3-3-2-2-1-1-0-0.

What score would you give to both classes? (victory points)

How do you see it?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rub is, almost all the 90's were upgraded to 98's--the differnce was in extra QD/FC guns. Same hull should have same boxes, just faster decay rate in the Gunnery and Musketry. Maneuverability probably wouldn't have changed differently.

Again, I am also obligated to note the "special case" of 1810 Boyne/Union, basically Victory hulls with Second Rate gun loads--these two should keep the I maneuver deck of their more famous sister.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.